GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

brand-new GS430, suspension height uneven?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 06:34 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brand-new GS430, suspension height uneven?

I've got a new 02 GS430 with less than 500 miles on and and I noticed today that the car was sitting uneven. I got out a tape measure and sure enough the drivers side rear corner is almost 1" lower than the rest of the corners. Is this normal? I can't imagine that it is. Most people probably wouldn't notice it but it is freaking me out. The tire doesn't look low or anything. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I can only assume that one of the springs is defective.

comments?

and before you ask

1. no, there is nothing heavy in the trunk.. duh.
2. yes, I am a really huge guy but if that was the cause the drivers side front should most definately be affected as well.
3. the ride, to me, doesn't seem harsh or being affected.

Last edited by Hohlraum; 05-18-02 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 04:01 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hohlraum, do check tire pressures, but I agree that that is unlikely to be the entire cause of 1" drop. Bad spring?? The good news is that your first service is due in 500 miles, as you know. This could be a good excuse to go ahead and L-Tune your suspension. That'll drop the rest of the corners, too.

But I understand your aggravation esp. after having to wait for your factory order. Pls keep us posted. That's a new one on me, at least for a brand new Lex.
Old 05-19-02, 01:15 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

grrr.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=47765

now I almost wonder if they didn't release some pressure in the process. dog gamnit!
Old 05-19-02, 04:11 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

My gf picked me up a digital tire pressure gauge when she got me the valve covers mentioned in the other thread. Looks like the tire pressures are as follows.

drivers side front: 32.5
drivers side rear: 30
pass side front: 31
pass side rear: 31

I can't imagine that one lb. of air pressure could result in the car being that much lower on that side. I'm mean you can stand away from the vehicle and see that the car is leaning.

I'm going to go take some more readings to see if they are consistent. That was a single reading off each tire.
Old 05-19-02, 06:14 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hohlraum - I have to tell you that one corner of a car off by one inch relative to the others is a big problem. How are you measuring? It is awfully difficult to find some spot on the car that is the same front to rear and side to side but if you are off that much, I wouldn't fool around with any aftermarket fix. Back to Lexus and have them make it right, especially if it is under warranty as your car is. I wouldn't wait for the first service either. At the least, you are already probably getting funny wear on your tires till this is fixed.
Old 05-19-02, 07:36 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

I only noted inconsistencies between the height on either rear corner. I simply measured at a right angle to the surface of the garage up to the same location on the chrome striping, bottom of each tail pipe, and also to the bottom of the body near the tail pipes. The two front corners were consistent and the back passenger corner was either slight less or more. The back drivers corner was CONSIDERABLY lower than the opposite. I'm going to call tomorrow and make them get me in immediately. Not sure what you meant about aftermarket. Eitherway they owe me the installation of the new spring/strut whatever is messed up.
Old 05-20-02, 12:33 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to do the measurement on another level surface. Sometimes, due to grades built-in for draining, what we think is flat surface is really not. And, this affects car level.
Old 05-20-02, 07:08 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

I did this and sure enough.. we can't find any difference in the level now. WHAT THE ******.. I can't imagine any surface could be so uneven that it shifted the level of the entire car down 3/4" in one corner. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I called back my rep. at the dealership and apologized for the false alarm. I feel like a **** to cuz i mentioned on the voicemail initially that I was disappointed in the quality. .. oh well.. I still dont believe 100% in these new measurements. I'm going to bring a tape measure with me and checkit a bunch more times.
Old 05-20-02, 07:49 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same issue.

The car seems really susceptible to uneven pavement. The rear of my car is off 1/2" when on certain pavements.

Hope all is well.

Late.
Old 05-20-02, 09:01 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hohlraum
I did this and sure enough.. we can't find any difference in the level now. WHAT THE ******.. I can't imagine any surface could be so uneven that it shifted the level of the entire car down 3/4" in one corner. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I called back my rep. at the dealership and apologized for the false alarm. I feel like a **** to cuz i mentioned on the voicemail initially that I was disappointed in the quality. .. oh well.. I still dont believe 100% in these new measurements. I'm going to bring a tape measure with me and checkit a bunch more times.
Glad that's all there is to it. I've notice this in all cars, actually. My driveway pitches up but banked a little bit to the left. Any car you park on the driveway, and I observed this to happen more with independent suspension system, would have this effect. If you look at the wheels carefully, you'd notice that one wheel would be two inches from the fender lip while another wheel would be 5 inches. Suspension is trying to compensate for the best car level.
Old 05-20-02, 11:13 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hey whitels, can't say I ever really spent much time on this but is the downslope side the one that shows low? Fuel? Wonder if it could be something that simple.

Ron
Old 05-20-02, 12:32 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RON430
Hey whitels, can't say I ever really spent much time on this but is the downslope side the one that shows low? Fuel? Wonder if it could be something that simple.

Ron
I attached a picture of my previous car. The left rear wheel shows more space in the wheel well in contrast with the other wheels. At this point, measuring the car level from the ground would give uneven results.
Attached Thumbnails brand-new GS430, suspension height uneven?-img_0058.jpg  

Last edited by whitels; 05-21-02 at 08:52 AM.