GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-02, 09:50 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 1881 doesn't have a H SYNC output unfortunately, that's why I'm using BACK PORCH. The 1881 was the only sync separator part I had on hand for a quick-and-dirty test.

I'm not sureI understand the last part. I am seeing composite sync on the BROWN lead of the shielded quad. Is this wrong?

Originally posted by Vlad
LM1881 is not a good choice :-). You do not need BACK PORCH signal at all. It has to be real H. Sync or .... It is very hard, but possible to get a stable synchronization using LM1881. I found much better solution. But it is not just one chip :-(
You can check stability of you OSD on wide-screen DVD or TV without antenna.

P.S.
GEX do not provide a real synchronization. In reality it is composite video signal.

Regards, Vlad.
Old 06-21-02, 06:53 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The composite sync is on the single shielded white wire. The R,G,B are on the Gray, Green and Red shielded set. The REMote wire is purple wire in a shielding with brown, green and pink wires. The 20P RGB cable does not have +5v in it, but if you don't connect up the GEX's illumination wire to your dash lights you can get enough power to run the Radio Shack IR eye. This SWACC5 is yellow wire shielded with light brown wire.

I don't mind sharing this information, I hope VLad feels the same about sharing his sync generator schematic for OSD information.
Old 06-21-02, 08:28 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Thank you, that helps, but I cannot find a WHITE shielded conductor that has composite sync on it??? Do you know the function of the BROWN wire in the PURPLE/BROWN/GREEN/PINK set is (this is where I am seeing composite sync)? I am wondering now if this in't another signal OUT of the monitor. I was thinking that the PURPLE in this group was +5V, but you say that it's the IR remote lead, so I assume that the REMOTE lead sits at +5 and is then pulsed low when receiving IR.

If you have the info handy, a list of the function of all of the signals in the RGB cable would be great. This is what I have so far:

4 wires shielded together
Purple IR Remote 5V
Brown Appears to be composite sync, .3v, negative
Pink Func not known, but display switches off if opened
Green not known, display operates without it

3 wires shielded together
Red RED RGB Video
Grn GREEN RGB Video
Grey BLUE RGB Video

2 wires shielded together
Yel 5V Hor Sync/ from monitor to GEX
Org 5V Ver Sync/ from monitor to GEX

Blk with braided shield, not known, works without

Individual conductors, functions not known but display works without them connected:
Violet
Clear
Black
Pink
White

Individual jacketed shielded conductors, functions not know but display works without them connected: (Audio?)
Blu wire in Grey jacket
Blu wire in Blu jacket
Wht wire in Wht jacket

I'm not sure that I understand the last part about the illumination wire, what is this? And what is SWACC5?

Thanks again for all of the helpful info to both you and vlad.

-jim-

Originally posted by VideoNavi
The composite sync is on the single shielded white wire. The R,G,B are on the Gray, Green and Red shielded set. The REMote wire is purple wire in a shielding with brown, green and pink wires. The 20P RGB cable does not have +5v in it, but if you don't connect up the GEX's illumination wire to your dash lights you can get enough power to run the Radio Shack IR eye. This SWACC5 is yellow wire shielded with light brown wire.

I don't mind sharing this information, I hope VLad feels the same about sharing his sync generator schematic for OSD information.

Last edited by jstjohnz; 06-21-02 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-22-02, 09:12 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Sorry, I did make a mistake on the +5 volt wire to use for remote. It's a light brown wire shielded with the yellow wire.

In using the service guide I've pined out the following connections to the front 20P RGB cable.

Pin Wire Color I/O Function
1. Gray O RGB R
2. Green O RGB G
3. Red O RGB B
4. Shield (GND)
5. White (shielded) RGB Composite Sync.
6. Brown (NC)
7. Green (NC)
8. Purple I MOREM (Monitor Remote)
9. Pink I HSYR (Horizontal Sync)
10. Black (shielded) I VSYR (Vertical Sync)
11. Brown O Illumination Output +5v, w/illumination on +2.83-0V
12. Gray I Display enable (DSEN)
13. Blue (Blue shielded) O Speaker +
14. Gray w/light blue I/O Acont
15. Blue (shielded) GND
16. Yellow O SWACC5 (shielded with brown pin 11)
17. White O PWRV1 (+12v when unit ON)
18. Black O PWRFL (power for flourscent display)
19. Pink O Speaker -
20. Purple O GNDFL
Old 06-22-02, 12:37 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

SWACC5 - +5V for IR (maximum IR +sync separator). Put low ESR capasitor 47..100uF x 6.3V and capacitor 0.1uF as close as possible to you separator. IR eye has to have capacitor 47uF..100uF as close as possible to sensor. Check if you have current limited resistor in you IR eye (47..10 ohm).
Do not use ILM !!!!!

P.S.

That way is good for people who know what they doing....
It is NOT a solution for all modifications of GS, RX, ES, IS ...

Regards, Vlad.
Old 06-22-02, 08:02 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Videonavi, and/or Vlad,

Just to clarify here; I am opening up the RGB cable that runs between the GEX chassis and the display's interface box, *not* the cable from the display interface box to the display.

Are the pinouts that you list for the cable from the display interface to the LCD display itself? If that's the case it may explain why I am seeing some different signals.

Since the goal is to eliminate the Pioneer display, it made more sense to me to go into the cable that is straight out of the GEX.

-jim-
Old 06-22-02, 09:31 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

The pinouts I provided are for the 20 pin RGB cable that came with the GEX. The green plug goes into the GEX's front monitor port. If you cut this cable in 1/2 the other red end of this cable could go into the GEX's Navigation input port.

Last edited by LS007; 06-22-02 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-23-02, 10:10 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally posted by VideoNavi
The pinouts I provided are for the 20 pin RGB cable that came with the GEX. The green plug goes into the GEX's front monitor port. If you cut this cable in 1/2 the other red end of this cable could go into the GEX's Navigation input port.
Although the pin numbers match up, for some reason many of my wire colors are different. I can get working RGB video with only these connections:

3 wires in a braid shield:
RED/GREEN/GRAY RGB video to display
these are pins 1-4

4 wires in a braid shield:
PURPLE IR Remote signals to GEX (pin 8)
BROWN -.3V composite sync from GEX (pin 5)
PINK must be pulled low for GEX to output video, normally pulled
low by display. (pin 12)
GREEN no apparent function (pin 7?)

2 wires in a braid shield:
YEL 5V HOR SYNC from monitor to GEX (pin 9)
ORG 5V VERT SYNC from monitor to GEX (pin 10)

Weird that the colors don't match up...

I can get a stable on screen text display by feeding composite sync into the video input of an LM1881 sync separator, with the back porch and vert sync outputs feeding back to the gex. As I mentioned earlier, this does shift the OSD characters right somewhat to the point where part of the last character is cut off (although it's certainly useable), as a result of using the back porch signal in place of horizontal sync. This should be fixable with a pair of one-shots, I will try that today hopefully.

Again, thanks for the very good info.

-jim-

Last edited by jstjohnz; 06-23-02 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-23-02, 01:12 PM
miko400
Driver

Default DVD

Ok VLAD, I got a Gs4 with Navi. I got to have it I need it and I want it. How did you do that. Man, everybody has told me that it could not be done. Help a CL member out.
Old 06-23-02, 02:35 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Alright- so who wants to work for me and do it to my car???
Old 06-23-02, 03:16 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

Hey,
This is what I am trying to do for you guys. (Universal DIY solution)
It will be a small interface module connected between Multi-Display Unit (MDU) and Pioneer GEX hideaway TV tuner. This "module" does control both GEX and MDU and does all necessary signal conversion for the MDU (for all Lexus models RX300, GS, ES, LS, IS with NAV unit).
The installation procedure will be very simple:
cut some wires between MDU and NAV (color diagram will be supplied), connect the "module" to those wires using solder less connectors and connect the GEX to the "module" using standard Pioneer RGB cables. One of those cables supplied with GEX. No internal modification of GEX, no soldering job, no head ace with IR eye (will be supplied with a “module”), no on-screen display problem...

I think that “module” will be available in the middle of July.

P.S.
I would like to know how many of you guys looking for solution like that.

Regards, Vlad.
Old 06-23-02, 03:38 PM
gwu128
Driver

Default the solution

Vlad,

count me in.

George
Old 06-23-02, 04:14 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Vlad

P.S.
I would like to know how many of you guys looking for solution like that.

Regards, Vlad.
I also would be interested
Old 06-23-02, 05:31 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so there is NO way to get a fully plug and play solution? it is going to require modifying the factory cables between the head unit and nav unit? I guess i thought that there was a connector that could be intercepted and all the work done that way.. then its as simple as removing that passthrough when the dealership works on the vehicle.. talk about throwing your warranty out the window if you harm a single hair on that cable..
Old 06-23-02, 06:39 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally posted by Hohlraum
so there is NO way to get a fully plug and play solution? it is going to require modifying the factory cables between the head unit and nav unit? I guess i thought that there was a connector that could be intercepted and all the work done that way.. then its as simple as removing that passthrough when the dealership works on the vehicle.. talk about throwing your warranty out the window if you harm a single hair on that cable..
The problem seems to be that no one can figure out who manufactures the connectors or where to get them. For some reason Lexus does not stock most of the connectors as spare parts.

If Vlad's arrangement uses male QDs on one side and female on the other then the original configuration could be restored pretty easily, with the exception that there would be some splices joined by quick-disconnect connectors. I would hope that wouldn't create a warranty problem.

-jim-

-jim-

Last edited by jstjohnz; 06-23-02 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!