GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-02, 07:01 PM
veilstylez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats dope~
i love how that looks~
hey wheres videonavi(steve) to comment on this.?

hey vlad did you get help from steve?
Old 05-19-02, 07:12 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couple questions regarding the mod.

How hard is it to do the IR remote mod?

how do you get into the TV mode and out of it, into the TV mode?

Does the TV tuner have the DVD player in it? or is taht a seperate attachment? or can you only watch TV? if you wanted to ADD DVD where would you put it in?
Old 05-19-02, 07:28 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take pictures during the modification/installation of the setup? Does a 1.88:1 (16:9) dvd fill the entire screen? Have you tried hooking up a laptop via one of the additional inputs on your tuner?

Last edited by Hohlraum; 05-19-02 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 09:19 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

IR remote modification not really hard:
Mechanical mod of case: install panel mount stereo jack or another 3-pin connector.
Electrical - solder 3 wires between connector and specified locations on board
Other modifications of GEX-P7000TV are little bet harder, specially if you do not like an idea do ?invisible? menu settings.

You need IR Remote to do switching of video sources (VTR1 -> VTR2 -> TV -> NAV).
Tuner has internal volatile memory and remember last selected mode when you start you car.

You can switch VTR1 or VTR2 only when ?SELECT? is selected in the Setting Menu.
VTR1 and VTR2 inputs can be used for different video sources like VCR, DVD, Video Camera, Rear view camera, Computer with composite video signal output (PS2, X-Box ...)

Pioneer ?GEX-P7000TV? just a TV tuner, no DVD in it. I use right now Apex MD-100 as video source. It?s temporary solution. I did not make decision yet as far as my DVD device.

I?m sorry, I did not take a pictures during modification. I have some pictures of Navigation module (assembled and disassembled).

I am working right now on documentation (?how to do it?), but I need some time to do it.
Also I am trying to find out manufacturer of original connectors used in TOYOTA/DENSO Multi-Display unit (male and female). If somebody can help me on it, it will be wonderful. Those connectors can make life much easier for DIY modification.
Cables are most important part in that modification.

If somebody needs more information, please send me e-mail at lavinna@attbi.com
Old 05-19-02, 10:50 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

do you think this will work on a 2000 gs400?

Erick G
Old 05-19-02, 11:08 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Erick G
do you think this will work on a 2000 gs400?

Erick G

from the looks of things, it looks like it should work with the 98-00 nav. even though the new nav's from pioneer are DVD based there old ones were hard disc based and they worked on the gex7000. and it seems all the modifications to the main nav unit were made to one cable so Im pretty sure that they work the same way, it might be the GS430 might have better reselution but other than that it should work
Old 05-20-02, 02:42 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HOT DAMN! It's about time!

For those of you interested....I have some Japanese stand alone DVD player units for the car for sale...larger than a head unit (about the size of a 25 count cigar box but a tad bit longer), but not nearly as expensive...under $500...I will post details if anyone's interested...I will have to look in the box again (not with me) but I think I have 2 or 3...if the demand is high enough (PREPAID in full only...don't even bother me if you're not serious), then I will import more...
Old 05-20-02, 05:42 AM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

It will work at 2000 GS400 with NAV.
Electrical diagram as far as RGB and SYNC connection the same.

I know for sure the same modification possible for RX300 (2001 and up).
Old 05-20-02, 09:45 AM
griz
Driver School Candidate

looks good,I'll be wanting to hear how you did it.
Old 05-20-02, 10:01 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by Vlad
IR remote modification not really hard:
Mechanical mod of case: install panel mount stereo jack or another 3-pin connector.
Electrical - solder 3 wires between connector and specified locations on board
Other modifications of GEX-P7000TV are little bet harder, specially if you do not like an idea do ?invisible? menu settings.

You need IR Remote to do switching of video sources (VTR1 -> VTR2 -> TV -> NAV).
Tuner has internal volatile memory and remember last selected mode when you start you car.

You can switch VTR1 or VTR2 only when ?SELECT? is selected in the Setting Menu.
VTR1 and VTR2 inputs can be used for different video sources like VCR, DVD, Video Camera, Rear view camera, Computer with composite video signal output (PS2, X-Box ...)

Pioneer ?GEX-P7000TV? just a TV tuner, no DVD in it. I use right now Apex MD-100 as video source. It?s temporary solution. I did not make decision yet as far as my DVD device.

I?m sorry, I did not take a pictures during modification. I have some pictures of Navigation module (assembled and disassembled).

I am working right now on documentation (?how to do it?), but I need some time to do it.
Also I am trying to find out manufacturer of original connectors used in TOYOTA/DENSO Multi-Display unit (male and female). If somebody can help me on it, it will be wonderful. Those connectors can make life much easier for DIY modification.
Cables are most important part in that modification.

If somebody needs more information, please send me e-mail at lavinna@attbi.com

Great job!!!! I can help in any way possible....Enginyr@hotmail.com
Old 05-20-02, 02:44 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO TURN THE SAFETY FEATURE OFF ON THE NAV SO I CAN PROGRAM IT WHILE DRIVING. THANK YOU.
Old 05-20-02, 04:31 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

mcgong,

I think it possible, but I do not have a solution yet. Navigation System control speed of you vehicle. Parking brake signal is second in that decision.
Old 05-20-02, 04:33 PM
enginyr
Banned

mcgong,

I think it possible, but I do not have a solution yet. Navigation System control speed of you vehicle. Parking brake signal is second in that decision.
Vlad, ball is in your court.....How can I help????
Old 05-20-02, 05:13 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

enginyr,

I need to find out wire-to-wire connectors, which match original TOYOTA/DENSO connectors (M8, M3) on Multi-Display unit. I need both male and female parts. If you need I can send you a "drawing" of those connectors.
Those connectors can help a lot to do "DO IT YOUSELF" modification. I could make assembly for those cables (with both ends) here in town.

Also I need to find out some company who sell Remote sensor (wired Remote eye) as a separate device. ( small size and nice shape preferably).

I am working right now on board for tuner modification.

Regards, Vlad
Old 05-20-02, 05:33 PM
enginyr
Banned

enginyr,

I need to find out wire-to-wire connectors, which match original TOYOTA/DENSO connectors (M8, M3) on Multi-Display unit. I need both male and female parts. If you need I can send you a "drawing" of those connectors.
Those connectors can help a lot to do "DO IT YOUSELF" modification. I could make assembly for those cables (with both ends) here in town.

Also I need to find out some company who sell Remote sensor (wired Remote eye) as a separate device. ( small size and nice shape preferably).

I am working right now on board for tuner modification.

Regards, Vlad

Yes, send me anything you have....I can make schematics and all.

Quick Reply: Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!