GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-02, 09:26 PM
vistyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you use just a mobile dvd player without a tuner?
Old 05-20-02, 10:39 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure if the guys can figure out a good wiring diagram that we can print out and give a good aftermarket stereo shop.. Then those of us who don't know ***** about this stuff can just pay to get this done..
Old 05-21-02, 04:46 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

i'm jealous. i got the nak audio instead.............
Old 05-21-02, 06:28 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone in the know answer me this. Does the cable between the Nav and the head unit PLUG into each unit (head and nav) .. if so, am I not understanding that the idea is to find compatible plugs and come up with some kind of by-pass that doesn't require the splicing of any wires? (obviously the video device will require power)

Last edited by Hohlraum; 05-21-02 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-21-02, 11:26 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

how much do all the parts cost to DIY?

just curious..

Erick G
Old 05-21-02, 11:42 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

hey vlad~

so with the GEX your converting RGB and composite signal to video signal between the navi right? and then you switch between them to use video or navi right?

cuz if the lexus used RGB and composite signal then you could probably also use the pioneer RGB-1 decoder. which is alot cheaper to do but its discountinued.
Old 05-21-02, 11:42 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Okay, I'm not trying to be a hater here, but other than the "cool" factor, can anyone explain to me why you would want to do this?
Old 05-21-02, 12:20 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Iceman
Okay, I'm not trying to be a hater here, but other than the "cool" factor, can anyone explain to me why you would want to do this?
I take my daughter to her piano lessons weekly and wait for an hour. Now, I can sit back in the car and watch TV or DVD or play PS2. I can watch/listen to the Lakers games if I want to or the 5 o'clock news during rush hour traffic. No need to rush home. This is incredible in my opinion.

Up next...DISH Satellite converter!!!

Vlad, Great Job!!!
Old 05-21-02, 12:38 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Good job, I have done this too using the Pioneer AVC-RGB1, then the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV.

I didn't see any pictures of the navigaiton display showing the Pioneer GEX's on screen text. This text is used to setup the 2 video inputs (AV1/AV2), FM frequency selection for built-in RF modulator and show TV channel numbers for the TV tuner or video input labels for AV1/AV2. For the on screen text to work with the navigaiton monitor you will need to tap into the LCD controller chip of the navigation system providing Vertical and Horizontal sync signals back to the GEX. The only other way around this is hooking up a Pioneer display, like AVD-W6010 in parallel with the navi display. Is that what you are planning to do?

Without the on screen text it's impossible to setup the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV and very difficult to use. What good is a TV tuner without channel numbers?

Also what are you using for the remote IR eye? What I have used is Radio Shack's 3 pin IR eye and 20 foot headphone extension cable with 1/8th inch stereo mini jacks. I cut the female plug off (about 1') and solder directly to the GEX board. The male end with 19' feet of wire (or less) is then soldered directly to the Radio Shack IR eye.

Steve

Last edited by LS007; 05-21-02 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-21-02, 01:12 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by whitels

I take my daughter to her piano lessons weekly and wait for an hour. Now, I can sit back in the car and watch TV or DVD or play PS2. I can watch/listen to the Lakers games if I want to or the 5 o'clock news during rush hour traffic. No need to rush home. This is incredible in my opinion.

Up next...DISH Satellite converter!!!

Vlad, Great Job!!!
I bet you are looking foreward to the traffic jams now.
Old 05-21-02, 01:23 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Forget TV I want to use it for a car computer.
Old 05-21-02, 01:27 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

That makes sense, whitels, I hadn't thought of things like that. Personally I'd rather do something more productive with my time than watch TV, but I can at least undestand the motivation.

As for watching TV during rush hour, doesn't that seem like an accident waiting to happen?

From a practicality standpoint, that screen seems so tiny as to be barely tolerable for watching video. Not to mention that if you actually want to use your nav for nav functions it will be harder. I dunno--more power to you!
Old 05-21-02, 01:37 PM
enginyr
Banned

That makes sense, whitels, I hadn't thought of things like that. Personally I'd rather do something more productive with my time than watch TV, but I can at least undestand the motivation.

As for watching TV during rush hour, doesn't that seem like an accident waiting to happen?

From a practicality standpoint, that screen seems so tiny as to be barely tolerable for watching video. Not to mention that if you actually want to use your nav for nav functions it will be harder. I dunno--more power to you!

hehe....sorry.....this is the ultimate mod.....hands down. I have been waiting for this quite some time and now its here!

Last edited by Static911; 05-21-02 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-21-02, 01:58 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching TV also is the least of my priority. However, each situation is different. When I don't have anything to work on on my laptop while waiting for my daughter, I get uneasy. I'm not into reading paperbacks. If I read, I do it before going to bed. There's no commercial place nearby to go to as the piano lesson is somewhere far from civility and you're stuck outside on the street for an hour.

Common sense tells us that watching TV during rush hour is bad but I can listen to Chick Hearn and glance at the screen once in a while as the driving situation permits. The same exact situation when sometimes I need to glance at the navigation screen. We are all responsible adults and I suppose we all know when to exercise good judgment as to what is safe and what is not.

As far as screen size is concerned, the NAV screen is much better than my 1.6 inch Sony pocket TV.

I also don't see that having a TV would make using the NAV much harder. Maybe an extra push of a button to shift from TV to NAV is all you need to do, if that, and you're set. There's a non-volatile memory that remembers your last function. This way, if you didn't use the TV, you don't need to push one extra button just to use your NAV.

But I respect your view and this is just one of those things that may or may not appeal to everyone. Probably the answer is the same when you ask the question, "Why did some 98-00 people chose the Nakamichi over the Navigation?
Old 05-21-02, 02:57 PM
veilstylez
Rookie

Originally posted by VideoNavi
Good job, I have done this too using the Pioneer AVC-RGB1, then the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV.

I didn't see any pictures of the navigaiton display showing the Pioneer GEX's on screen text. This text is used to setup the 2 video inputs (AV1/AV2), FM frequency selection for built-in RF modulator and show TV channel numbers for the TV tuner or video input labels for AV1/AV2. For the on screen text to work with the navigaiton monitor you will need to tap into the LCD controller chip of the navigation system providing Vertical and Horizontal sync signals back to the GEX. The only other way around this is hooking up a Pioneer display, like AVD-W6010 in parallel with the navi display. Is that what you are planning to do?

Without the on screen text it's impossible to setup the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV and very difficult to use. What good is a TV tuner without channel numbers?

Also what are you using for the remote IR eye? What I have used is Radio Shack's 3 pin IR eye and 20 foot headphone extension cable with 1/8th inch stereo mini jacks. I cut the female plug off (about 1') and solder directly to the GEX board. The male end with 19' feet of wire (or less) is then soldered directly to the Radio Shack IR eye.

Steve
oh dang steve so you did this already with the RGB1?
hows everything else going...like screens on the headrest and stuff?

got any pics?

Quick Reply: Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!