GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 02:57 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VideoNavi: Excellent info, thanks, more in PM.

Have you made any headway on relocating your dash-mounted CD changer to free up a DIN space in the dash? From what I have seen it doesn't look easy as the changer connects to the tape player/controller with one or two printed ribbon cables.

-jim-
Old 06-11-02, 05:48 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by VideoNavi

The Pioneer GEX-P7000TV has a on-screen display chip (made by Mitsubishi) that requires a veritcal and horizontal sync. signal from a LCD controller chip. The LCD control chip is only inside a Pioneer screen, like AVD-505, AVD-W6010, AVX-7000, AVX-P7000DVD. These sync. signals come to the GEX thru the front 20 pin RGB connector. So without a Pioneer screen attached you won't get a on-screen text (channel numbers, setup screens and video input labels). Without on-screen text it's impossible to setup the GEX and makes it very difficult to use. To overcome this you can plug in a Pioneer screen to the GEX 20 pin plug, but you then need to hardwire (solder to PCB) 4 wires that will go to your navi display. The Pioneer screen and your navi screen run in parrallel. If using a screen like Pioneer's AVD-W6010 you can then use the GEX's rear composite video output to have the AVD-W6010 display a different source (video and audio) than what is displayed on the navi screen, while still keeping the sync. signals for navi on-screen text.

A difference between using the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV vs. Pioneer AVC-RGB1 (discontinued) is the GEX will do video switching between navigaiton screen/video and it also has TV Tuner, 2 AV inputs, 1 rear AV output, built-in FM modulator. With the AVC-RGB1 it requires you build a switch or switched relay to change between navigaiton and video. As for the Lexus RGB navigation interface it uses .75V P-P RGB + Composite Sync. - same as Pioneer RGB interface. This is why this Pioneer stuff works on Lexus and Honda/Acura navigation displays.

I've modified Pioneer GEX-P7000TV's for people at $120 and that includes a new IR eye for the wireless remote that comes with the GEX. Send me PM if your interested...

Hope this helps...

How much to do my whole setup....This has gotta get done already!
Old 06-12-02, 07:52 AM
Customlexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $$$$$$$$

Yeah how much will this cost?
Old 06-12-02, 10:44 AM
Vld
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Hi everyone,

My "Vlad" account does not work - I can not post reply, post new messages, check my PM. I am very upset because of it. I do not think, I will post a future info in this forum. If somebody interesting in my project please communicate with me via e-mail at Lavinna@attbi.com. I will put all update on my web page.

Status of my project:

Existing problems:

1) Unpredictable behavior of “fuel consumption” measurement circuit during cranking.
(Wrong “fuel gauge” indication on instrument panel and unreal gallon per mileage measurement)
Status – DONE

2) Unstable video synchronization because of incompatibility of GEX sync output and Nav. Input.
(Interlacing effect, flickers…)
Status – DONE

3) Unstable video synchronization of OSD on wide-screen DVDs.
Status – DONE

Features:

1) No internal modifications of GEX required !!!
2) Programmable “TURN ON” delay for video and audio noise free operation (very need feature for some DVD changers)
3) Programmable remote free mode (one button control).
4) Programmable TV auto skip
5) Simple installation procedure

Global project status – going to PRODUCTION

Regards, Vlad
Old 06-12-02, 10:47 AM
Static911

Vld,

You can now use your Vlad, same password and everything. Apparently, you forgot to active the account through the email. I just activated you. Weird, the problem just showed up 'cuz typically, you can't post without first being activated. However, you aren't the first person. Some other people on ClubLexus are posting, but never went through the account activation stage too.

Ethan

Last edited by Static911; 06-12-02 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-12-02, 11:44 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulation..Vlad
When can we get this set up. Can't wait.
Old 06-12-02, 11:49 AM
Vld
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I do not know yet. Working on it.

Regards, Vlad.
Old 06-12-02, 06:35 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I got it....

(Infrared remote eye)
Attached Thumbnails Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!-dsc02128.jpg  
Old 06-14-02, 04:01 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

where is the infared eye usually stored??? I use those things in my home theatre, but i never thought of it in the car.
Old 06-17-02, 04:47 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

Smile

IR location
Attached Thumbnails Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!-picture-009.jpg  
Old 06-19-02, 11:52 AM
gazza67
Driver School Candidate

Default dvd install

vlad brilliant job,have you any experiance of the touch screen fitted as standard to ls430,we are wanting to install a video input into the system.Lexus in the uk say this is not possible,any help would be appreciated
Old 06-20-02, 07:26 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

The Pioneer GEX-P7000TV has a on-screen display chip (made by Mitsubishi) that requires a veritcal and horizontal sync. signal from a LCD controller chip. The LCD control chip is only inside a Pioneer screen, like AVD-505, AVD-W6010, AVX-7000, AVX-P7300DVD. These sync. signals come to the GEX thru the front 20 pin RGB connector.
I have opened up the RGB cable and I believe that the V and H sync signals from the monitor are on YEL and ORG (shielded pair).
Is the BROWN of the BROWN/PINK/VIOLET/GREEN shielded quad the composite sync to the monitor?

I have taken this composite sync signal (BROWN), and run it through an LM1881 sync separator, then use the V and BACK PORCH outputs of the 1881 to feed back to the 7000 on the YEL and ORG, and this does allow on-screen display to work although everything is shifted a bit right (though still readable) as a result of using BACK PORCH instead of 'real' H SYNC.

Where in this cable can I hook in an IR receiver? I'm still not able to run without the monitor attached as the only method I have of controlling the 7000 is via the remote IR receiver on the 6010 display.

-jim-
Old 06-20-02, 10:42 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

LM1881 is not a good choice :-). You do not need BACK PORCH signal at all. It has to be real H. Sync or .... It is very hard, but possible to get a stable synchronization using LM1881. I found much better solution. But it is not just one chip :-(
You can check stability of you OSD on wide-screen DVD or TV without antenna.

P.S.
GEX do not provide a real synchronization. In reality it is composite video signal.

Regards, Vlad.
Attached Thumbnails Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!-dsc02119a.jpg  
Old 06-21-02, 07:07 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Vlad,

Great job on tricking the Mitsubishi OSD chip. Can't wait to hear the details of your solution.

Jstjohnz,

An infrared eye that will work with the GEX is Radio Shack 276-0137. It needs +5v, GND and the REMote lead in the 20 pin connector. I connect my remote eye with 1/8" stereo headphone extension cable. I cut the female connector off about 1' back and solder the male wire/connector on the infrared eye. Black is GND, White is +5v and red is the REMote wire. The femal end of the connector I then route the wire through the extra hole on the OSD wire harness and solder directly to the GEX's PCB.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-02, 09:44 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

I haven't removed the GEX's PC board from the chassis yet, I am just hacking into the RGB cable. Do you know which cable conductors are +5V and IR Remote?

-jim-

An infrared eye that will work with the GEX is Radio Shack 276-0137. It needs +5v, GND and the REMote lead in the 20 pin connector. I connect my remote eye with 1/8" stereo headphone extension cable. I cut the female connector off about 1' back and solder the male wire/connector on the infrared eye. Black is GND, White is +5v and red is the REMote wire. The femal end of the connector I then route the wire through the extra hole on the OSD wire harness and solder directly to the GEX's PCB.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Video/DVD/TV on stock Nav screen - no problem !!!