GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Progress on my Q45 retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 06:34 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The great thing with this is that they still twist on just like the factory covers.
Old 01-25-10, 08:28 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audax
I was brainstorming a solution to this problem earlier and came up with something similar. The tupperware container idea is perfect though. Thanks for passing that along!

I fully re-assembled the driver side headlight today and reinstalled it on the car. I'm in the middle of polishing the lens; once I finish that tomorrow I will post updated pictures of the progress.
Any chance you could carve up a tupperware container AND the lid to it to allow changing of the light bulb? It would suck to have it all glued on there and have a bulb die in a year or two
Old 01-25-10, 08:31 AM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice d.i.y. cant wait to see it finished.
Old 01-25-10, 08:38 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear Bracket?

The Q45 projector sticks out the back by nearly 2 inches more than the OEM projector. Because of this, the OEM cover doesn't fit anymore. Not sure what I'm going to do to cover this up.

You may want to contact Luxurymods.com(Tony), concerning this issue? I'm almost positive that they are working on a fabrication piece for this problem! I purchased one myself, but haven't had the time to install it, due to the car being in the shop and lights already installed. That bracket allows you to utilize the leveling screws to adjust the low beams accordingly!

Nice detailed write up by the way!

Last edited by Wringo; 01-25-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 09:56 AM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Any chance you could carve up a tupperware container AND the lid to it to allow changing of the light bulb? It would suck to have it all glued on there and have a bulb die in a year or two
Thats the idea. I'm not going to permanently seal the headlights. I want as much OEM functionality and form as possible.

Originally Posted by Wringo
You may want to contact Luxurymods.com(Tony), concerning this issue? I'm almost positive that they are working on a fabrication piece for this problem! I purchased one myself, but haven't had the time to install it, due to the car being in the shop and lights already installed. That bracket allows you to utilize the leveling screws to adjust the low beams accordingly!
I actually just received his response to an email I sent yesterday regarding the two issues (leveling bubble and rear cover):

Correct, these brackets do not have mounts for the OEM level bubble.

Yes, there's no way to have the projector fit inside the housing w/ the original cap due to the extended length of the projector over factory reflector. This is part of doing your own retrofit to get creative to make your own caps. Some use PVC pipe. We have rubber covers that we modify to fit.

Best Regards,

Tony
LuxuryMods.com
Old 01-25-10, 10:33 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the projector lights? Trying to find a pair at a reasonable price!
Old 01-25-10, 10:37 AM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al-ex-us
Where did you get the projector lights? Trying to find a pair at a reasonable price!
In the ClubLexus classifieds of course!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ieds-98-05-35/
Old 01-25-10, 11:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by audax
Reflector mounted

Maybe I missed something but it doesn't appear that the LuxuryMods brackets include a spot to mount the OEM level bubble for the low beams.

The Q45 projector sticks out the back by nearly 2 inches more than the OEM projector. Because of this, the OEM cover doesn't fit anymore. Not sure what I'm going to do to cover this up.

OP great work so far. looks amazing. your attention to details is a welcome sight compared to some of the posts i have been reading lately. as far as the back piece get a piece of 2" or 3" pvc pipe cut it to fit and attach it kinda like your extending the oem headlight, paint it and then see if you can get a pvc cover to go on the end. i saw some people's with q45 retros and this is what they did...or something similar. i wouldnt use a Tupperware container....

Last edited by sakataj; 01-25-10 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 11:49 AM
McDj18
Pole Position

Those are gonna look AWESOME when finished!! Keep us posted

Thanks for sharing this

No one knows what’s next, but everybody does it.
Old 01-25-10, 12:43 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Any Updates?
Old 01-25-10, 12:49 PM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Any Updates?
In the middle of polishing the lens, but I have to take a break and actually get some real work done.

I just bought a clear bra to cover/protect the the headlights also. So we'll see how that works too.

I'll have more updates in the coming days... busy schedule this week.
Old 01-25-10, 01:26 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Be careful to aim your lights before 'covering' the back of the low beam - I say this becasue getting to the outside adjusting screw will really be a ******. I know from experience.
Old 01-25-10, 01:58 PM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TeeLex
Be careful to aim your lights before 'covering' the back of the low beam - I say this becasue getting to the outside adjusting screw will really be a ******. I know from experience.
Thanks for the tip. Any guidelines on how to properly aim them?
Old 01-26-10, 05:22 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Any chance you could carve up a tupperware container AND the lid to it to allow changing of the light bulb?
Originally Posted by KiPod
I used a small rubbermaid/Tupperware style plastic container, trimmed the stock cover to just a ring and used a puddy to join the two together. So it fits just like the stock cover, but it's about 2" deep so it covers the bulb and ballast sticking out the back.
yup
Old 01-26-10, 06:05 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

looks good, can't wait to see how it looks on the car

Quick Reply: Progress on my Q45 retrofit