GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is AutoZone Code Reading Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 06:57 AM
-Future-
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is AutoZone Code Reading Reliable?

Hello All,

My check engine has been on and I decided to go to my local AutoZone since they offer free code reading. Turns out the code being pulled was P0141 for the sensor, but when he printed out my report - every car on the sheet that was read that day pulled the same code?? Maybe I'm just crazy and the report prints out cars that pulled the same code?! But I remember reading articles about places like AAMCO that offer free code readings and tell you that you need some part and they basically scam you for 100 bucks.

In your experiences, is that reading reliable? I'd hate to buy the part if it's not going to help me.

Thanks to all....
Old 01-26-10, 07:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

A lot of mechanic shops offer code reading for free. Autozones around here no longer offer code reading so I can't tell you really. You can probably stand there and watch if they're actually using the computer or faking it.
Old 01-26-10, 08:00 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as you have the code, just search on CL and look up the real possibilities as to what is causing the problem. Autozone will give you a list of things that could be wrong associated with the code. When in doubt of the actual codes pulled, get a second opinion, from either another autozone, or another place that scans.

Last edited by CPMD; 01-26-10 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 08:17 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

A free way to get an idea of whats wrong.. then come here
Old 01-26-10, 10:09 AM
TheBean
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week my car had the PO141 code. I went to Aamco and had the code read for free. I searched CL to see what the problem was, ordered an O2 sensor from oxygensensors.com as advised by CL. The sensor was $106 shipped. I searched CL for a DIY install but it was raining here in So Cal so I decided to let the professionals handle it. I searched CL for a reliable mechanic and took my car to Dynamic Auto Service in Midway City. The mechanic charged me $75 to install the sensor. The check engine light is gone...

Thanks CL and the power of the search button...
Old 01-26-10, 03:32 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The thing to watch out for it that some of the self powered scanners (has a battery in it, not just powered by the car's obd port) can hold codes from the last scan and if they don't clear it then it may be giving stored codes, or pending codes from other previous vehicles by accident.

Pay particular attention if you get a scan and they say you have multiple codes.

Some chains are shying away from doing this anymore due to complaints of selling parts that don't fix problems, or erasing important pending codes.

Generally don't buy anything at the moment. Read up on the code before throwing away money on the spot. Lots of things can throw a code refering to a part without the part actually being bad.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 01-26-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 10:50 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBean
Last week my car had the PO141 code. I went to Aamco and had the code read for free. I searched CL to see what the problem was, ordered an O2 sensor from oxygensensors.com as advised by CL. The sensor was $106 shipped. I searched CL for a DIY install but it was raining here in So Cal so I decided to let the professionals handle it. I searched CL for a reliable mechanic and took my car to Dynamic Auto Service in Midway City. The mechanic charged me $75 to install the sensor. The check engine light is gone...

Thanks CL and the power of the search button...
woooeeee, $75 for O2s, should have called me, i would have huooked u up for like $70. jk,

OP, you can also ask to borrow the OBd and check the codes on your own. they usually dont want to deal with it anyway and would be happy if you did it on your own. Just seem like an honest guy, i am sure you are, and they should hand it over. If not offer up you ID or something to prove you arent a crack head and going to run with the goods.