GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

UGO Spoiler STOLEN last night! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 01:09 PM
JustInGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn sorry about your lost! hope you find the person that took it.
Old 01-27-10, 01:34 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP- Why did you say that your insurance won't cover this? Last time I checked, this is considered vandalism. You need to be looking for a newer place. If you are leasing, I'm sure you have a right to break out of your lease d/t this. Take lots of pictures for proof, with a date stamp on the pics. Find another place ASAP, as it seems this is an ongoing issue, unfortunately.
Old 01-27-10, 01:42 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmd
OP- Why did you say that your insurance won't cover this? Last time I checked, this is considered vandalism. You need to be looking for a newer place. If you are leasing, I'm sure you have a right to break out of your lease d/t this. Take lots of pictures for proof, with a date stamp on the pics. Find another place ASAP, as it seems this is an ongoing issue, unfortunately.
With insurance it's going to be tough. Although it is considered vandalism under comprehensive insurance. They will say that I never stated that I had aftermarket roof spoiler (they probably have no clue what it is in the first place) that I wanted insured. When you get insurance they always ask first is there anything we need to know on the car you may have added to make it more attractable or be at a higher risk. If I say yes then my premium would've went up and then taking more pics etc and with today's economy most insurance company will never refund you. It's a bigger headache and frustration. The only way you'd win is in the past I got hit at standstill by another car where I had a lip that they paid for since it was clearly 0% fault on my end.

But I appreciate all the sympathy and response. I'm still at work and haven't seen it properly to see how much damage was done.

And not looking forward to it either.
Old 01-27-10, 01:53 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

sorry bro, will keep an eye out on the f/s ads!
Old 01-27-10, 03:12 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by BklynJay
With insurance it's going to be tough. Although it is considered vandalism under comprehensive insurance. They will say that I never stated that I had aftermarket roof spoiler (they probably have no clue what it is in the first place) that I wanted insured. When you get insurance they always ask first is there anything we need to know on the car you may have added to make it more attractable or be at a higher risk. If I say yes then my premium would've went up and then taking more pics etc and with today's economy most insurance company will never refund you. It's a bigger headache and frustration. The only way you'd win is in the past I got hit at standstill by another car where I had a lip that they paid for since it was clearly 0% fault on my end.

But I appreciate all the sympathy and response. I'm still at work and haven't seen it properly to see how much damage was done.

And not looking forward to it either.
What type of insurance do you have?? When I transferred my insurance (state farm) from my ES to GS, I never got asked those questions. Only questions were, what is the VIN and yr/miles, color, make, and model. So I'm assuming that you said "no" in terms of if there was anything attractive or making it at a higher risk. If so, that was a good answer. What kind of dumb questions do insurance companies ask these days??

I still say file a claim, say it was OEM, not aftermarket, and that it came with the car. Car was vandalized, and that you want it covered. Sorry that this happened to you, but I hate to see all of it come out of your pocket.

Your car looks nice in your sig man. Again, not sure if your renting your place. If so, find another place and give your landlord the reason that having your car vandalized twice is the cause of breaking the lease.

Last edited by CPMD; 01-27-10 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 03:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

thats really unfortunate! justice will be served, and im hoping it costs them as much as its costing you right now, and im not just talking money. continue to keep posting. someone is bound to sell that rare item. best of luck!
Old 01-27-10, 04:08 PM
BKGEE83
Driver

Yp jay its george, i hope u remember me, i live near your crib, this area is not known for things like that to happen ill keep on eye and an ear out to see if i hear anything, also its time for you to put that baby in a garage there is one for rent on bay 32nd call me if you need info cuz i know the landlord maybe he can give you a break on the $$$ i know also a body shop on 62nd and 16th ave the guy owes me a couple of favors if you want we can go there this weekend and see what he can do for us, anyways i feel your pain and ill let you know if i see or hear something, call me if anything
Old 01-27-10, 04:35 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Straight up trash.. ****in scumbags..
Old 01-27-10, 04:58 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

damn Jay! a wave of bad luck hit you too, huh? Where did you leave the car to be messed with? BathBeach where i usually seen you? used to be pretty quiet area....go figure...
Old 01-27-10, 05:48 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

What type of insurance do you have??
One that clearly knows how the insurance business is run if they deny a claim based on a denial for something added without notification.

So I'm assuming that you said "no" in terms of if there was anything attractive or making it at a higher risk. If so, that was a good answer. What kind of dumb questions do insurance companies ask these days??
Why are those dumb questions? If you have installed rims, a stereo, tinted the windows, added better seats, an exhaust, a spoiler, a lip, or a bodykit, you should be willing to pay to cover them. If not, no dice. Why should everyone else pay for their vehicles, and some should be able to claim anything they want? He's not asking them to cover it because he didn't want to pay for them to cover it - end of story.

I still say file a claim, say it was OEM, not aftermarket, and that it came with the car. Car was vandalized, and that you want it covered. Sorry that this happened to you, but I hate to see all of it come out of your pocket.
So commit insurance fraud in order to save $400 and the irritation of taking some time to bring the car in? I think that's a terrible piece of advice, mang. Clearly this would not be their first rodeo, and they could do 10 minutes worth of research and see it's not a factory piece. Keep in mind that a reputable body shop would also tell them where they get it from, so they'll clearly know it's not OEM. Get nailed for insurance fraud, especially in NYS, and you're up for a 5-10 year bid, along with some severe fines. Not worth all that hassle, I assure you.

It sucks what happened, but at the same time, even being upset, as was already said - it's a car. A nice looking car, and probably better than it looks now when it was "complete," but it's still a car. Killing someone for stealing a spoiler isn't exactly an equitable trade. I know that's not a real threat, but it's just not worth making your blood boil that much, mang.

A good beating, however, would certainly be fair.

Big Mack
Old 01-27-10, 05:52 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've got my sympathy, dude. sucks it happened to you and i hope you get things worked out soon!
Old 01-27-10, 06:08 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Big Mack
One that clearly knows how the insurance business is run if they deny a claim based on a denial for something added without notification.

Why are those dumb questions? If you have installed rims, a stereo, tinted the windows, added better seats, an exhaust, a spoiler, a lip, or a bodykit, you should be willing to pay to cover them. If not, no dice. Why should everyone else pay for their vehicles, and some should be able to claim anything they want? He's not asking them to cover it because he didn't want to pay for them to cover it - end of story.

So commit insurance fraud in order to save $400 and the irritation of taking some time to bring the car in? I think that's a terrible piece of advice, mang. Clearly this would not be their first rodeo, and they could do 10 minutes worth of research and see it's not a factory piece. Keep in mind that a reputable body shop would also tell them where they get it from, so they'll clearly know it's not OEM. Get nailed for insurance fraud, especially in NYS, and you're up for a 5-10 year bid, along with some severe fines. Not worth all that hassle, I assure you.

It sucks what happened, but at the same time, even being upset, as was already said - it's a car. A nice looking car, and probably better than it looks now when it was "complete," but it's still a car. Killing someone for stealing a spoiler isn't exactly an equitable trade. I know that's not a real threat, but it's just not worth making your blood boil that much, mang.

A good beating, however, would certainly be fair.

Big Mack
1 + 2) So your saying that State Farm (the insurance that I have, and probably one of the biggest insurance companies in the nation) doesn't know how to run an insurance company by not asking these questions to me?

A lot of my friends have "things that make the vehicle more vulnerable to theft". It being a Lexus is a threat alone.

Insurance is a package deal. You don't have to pay extra to have a lip or tinted windows insured. I didn't call my insurance to have my car's windows tints insured after they got tinted. I don't think that is in my policy to do so either.

3) And how do you call this insurance fraud? Do you even know what that means? It's not like he actually did the damage to his own car and faked a report. It is a legitimate claim. His car got vandalized, and the insurance has to cover it.

So you're saying if someone throws a rock on a back window that is tinted, it shouldn't be covered b/c it has "aftermarket" tints? No, common sense would say to go file the claim and not fork over the over 1k for a rear window. Actually mang, I think thats pretty good and common sense advice.
If they cover the spoiler, fine. If not, oh well. Not that big of deal. And trust me, I highly doubt they will throw you in jail for not knowing what an OEM spoiler vs. an aftermarket spoiler is lol. You get throw in jail for falsifying and commiting actual crimes. No need to scare the OP off...

And lastly, a good beating would be more of a crime than claiming that the spoiler was OEM to the insurance company. Now that is something to be worried to be going to jail for.
Old 01-27-10, 07:07 PM
BKGEE83
Driver

Thumbs up

Cpmd ^^^^^^^^ i agree %100 with what you say
Old 01-28-10, 01:36 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

sorry to hear that man.. hopefully you could track it down
Old 01-28-10, 01:48 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just plain wrong. Sorry to hear this happen to you. Be vigilant by looking at the CL classifieds, CraigsList and even e-Bay. Who knows, there's a chance that the criminal put it up for sale and if so maybe you can spot it.

Quick Reply: UGO Spoiler STOLEN last night! Help!