GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

UGO Spoiler STOLEN last night! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 02:01 PM
importhope
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much sympathy BklynJay, I know how it feels. I had my Silkblaze roof spoiler stolen Thanksgiving night, and they pried it up with a flat head against my car. I loved the way it looked, but wont keep buying these so someone can keep stealing them. It was one of a kind in the US, so I am waiting until I find it on someones car. I thought about molding one to my car so theirs no way to get it off... but I don't think it will look as good.
To me the worst part is the heightened anxiety of worrying about when someone is going to mess with my car and try and steal something. Being in bed and hearing a car stop near the front of my house and jumping up and looking to see who it is. Don't get me wrong, to me it is just a replaceable thing, but a nice thing that I have put ALLOT of my money into.
Keep your car... theirs always the personal security option, you just give a homeless man a 40oz and a sleeping bag and have him camp out on the street next to your car. J/K
Old 01-28-10, 02:32 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by cpmd
1 + 2) So your saying that State Farm (the insurance that I have, and probably one of the biggest insurance companies in the nation) doesn't know how to run an insurance company by not asking these questions to me?
Nope. Just your agent or whomever wrote the policy and left you vulnerable.

A lot of my friends have "things that make the vehicle more vulnerable to theft". It being a Lexus is a threat alone.
True enough that it being a high end vehicle makes it more prone to less than scrupulous people. Adding accessories that make it more attractive result in higher premiums. Period.

Insurance is a package deal. You don't have to pay extra to have a lip or tinted windows insured. I didn't call my insurance to have my car's windows tints insured after they got tinted. I don't think that is in my policy to do so either.
I strongly suggest you revisit your policy. Most insurance does not cover re-tinting the windows. I have had to have a windshield replaced on a couple different cars (thanks, Arizona!) due to rock chips, and the first thing out of the insurance adjuster's mouth is that they won't cover the eyebrow. I know for a fact that you must add additional coverage for any "aftermarket" stereo equipment or premium wheels if you want them covered. If you don't, they'll replace OEM only.

Have you ever heard of an insurance rider? I would suggest discussing this with your insurance company. Seriously, if you don't, you may truly be vulnerable and not know it. Complaining after the fact will get you nowhere with them. Will they nickel and dime you? If it means they don't pay, yes, they will. Will it get expensive to cover everything? Yes, but if you have the coin to put the nice accessories on, you should be prepared to pay to protect them.

3) And how do you call this insurance fraud? Do you even know what that means? It's not like he actually did the damage to his own car and faked a report. It is a legitimate claim. His car got vandalized, and the insurance has to cover it.
Yes, I do know what insurance fraud means, and I don't appreciate your inference. I never said he did the damage. I was referring to what you said.
I still say file a claim, say it was OEM, not aftermarket, and that it came with the car.
Or was that not you saying to file a claim, say it is an OEM spoiler, and that it came with the car?

So you're saying if someone throws a rock on a back window that is tinted, it shouldn't be covered b/c it has "aftermarket" tints?
Not at all. I'm saying that the tint is typically not covered unless you add a rider.

No, common sense would say to go file the claim and not fork over the over 1k for a rear window. Actually mang, I think thats pretty good and common sense advice.
For the window, you should definitely file a claim. Expecting them to pay for tint, not so much.

If they cover the spoiler, fine. If not, oh well. Not that big of deal. And trust me, I highly doubt they will throw you in jail for not knowing what an OEM spoiler vs. an aftermarket spoiler is lol. You get throw in jail for falsifying and commiting actual crimes. No need to scare the OP off...
What you said is falsifying a statement. It is not OEM, nor did it come with the car. If he states in a sworn statement that it is OEM and came with the car that is falsifying a claim - also known as insurance fraud.

And lastly, a good beating would be more of a crime than claiming that the spoiler was OEM to the insurance company. Now that is something to be worried to be going to jail for.
No, falsifying a claim to an insurance company is a felony, especially since it would be over $500. Giving someone a whooping for stealing would usually be a misdemeanor unless you really put a hurting on them.

Big Mack
Old 01-28-10, 04:52 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Nope. Just your agent or whomever wrote the policy and left you vulnerable.

True enough that it being a high end vehicle makes it more prone to less than scrupulous people. Adding accessories that make it more attractive result in higher premiums. Period.

I strongly suggest you revisit your policy. Most insurance does not cover re-tinting the windows. I have had to have a windshield replaced on a couple different cars (thanks, Arizona!) due to rock chips, and the first thing out of the insurance adjuster's mouth is that they won't cover the eyebrow. I know for a fact that you must add additional coverage for any "aftermarket" stereo equipment or premium wheels if you want them covered. If you don't, they'll replace OEM only.

Have you ever heard of an insurance rider? I would suggest discussing this with your insurance company. Seriously, if you don't, you may truly be vulnerable and not know it. Complaining after the fact will get you nowhere with them. Will they nickel and dime you? If it means they don't pay, yes, they will. Will it get expensive to cover everything? Yes, but if you have the coin to put the nice accessories on, you should be prepared to pay to protect them.

Yes, I do know what insurance fraud means, and I don't appreciate your inference. I never said he did the damage. I was referring to what you said.

Or was that not you saying to file a claim, say it is an OEM spoiler, and that it came with the car?

Not at all. I'm saying that the tint is typically not covered unless you add a rider.

For the window, you should definitely file a claim. Expecting them to pay for tint, not so much.

What you said is falsifying a statement. It is not OEM, nor did it come with the car. If he states in a sworn statement that it is OEM and came with the car that is falsifying a claim - also known as insurance fraud.

No, falsifying a claim to an insurance company is a felony, especially since it would be over $500. Giving someone a whooping for stealing would usually be a misdemeanor unless you really put a hurting on them.

Big Mack

I think you're thinking about it waaaaay too much

I believe that my points are all still valid. I've never had any problems with State Farm, OEM or aftermarket. I never got questioned by them. You do know that even in a collision or vandalism, they do repair the car with aftermarket parts right? Kinda counter-intuitive to what you're saying don't you think? In fact, most places that are associated with insurance make you sign a form saying that they will use aftermarket parts.

Not sure if you have like Safe Auto or something. But in any case, whatever.

Last edited by CPMD; 01-28-10 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 05:30 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

dude it gona be alright if u sell ur gs ur gona look back and totally regret it
Old 01-28-10, 09:57 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

I think you're thinking about it waaaaay too much
Why? Because I'm bringing logic into it? What you said is fraud - plain and simple.

I believe that my points are all still valid.
Believe as you wish. File a claim and find out, but don't say you weren't forewarned when it happens.

I've never had any problems with State Farm, OEM or aftermarket. I never got questioned by them.
And the point to that statement goes missing...

You do know that even in a collision or vandalism, they do repair the car with aftermarket parts right?
Yes, I am well aware that they use aftermarket "OEM quality" parts. Doesn't change the fact here. It's not an OEM spoiler, so how could they repair it with something that is OEM? Do you see the circular argument you've created?

Kinda counter-intuitive to what you're saying don't you think? In fact, most places that are associated with insurance make you sign a form saying that they will use aftermarket parts.
No. See above. Circular arguments/reasoning don't have any points.

Not sure if you have like Safe Auto or something. But in any case, whatever.
I do not have Safe Auto, thanks, but clearly you are not willing to even make a phone call to your agent to find out that I'm correct, so I spoke with my State Farm agent, who confirmed that yes, they would pay for glass, but not tint. Aftermarket stereo equipment? Only with a rider, and only with installation pictures and receipts. Aftermarket rims? Only with a receipt, and only with locking lugs on them. Aftermarket accessories? Only if they are permanently mounted to the vehicle with fasteners (I specified tape, and he said that was a no no), and only if they do not exceed $500 - at which point they would be considered an addendum to the policy. He also said that body kits, wings, spoilers, and diffusers are considered aftermarket and they take into account the cost of replacement and repainting, virtually assuring that it will exceed $500 with shop rates.

Not sure why you're fighting this so hard just to be proven wrong, but so be it. The facts are the facts, and you can choose to dispute them, but it doesn't make them anything less. Regardless of all of this back and forth, it just sucks we even have to consider it. People should have more respect for others property.

Big Mack
Old 01-28-10, 11:39 PM
a#'z
Lead Lap

Yeah mang, it really sucks to hear what happen. UGO spoiler is really rare, i wanted the ugo style as well, but they stop making it, you know where i can find one? But now reading what people say, it's easy to get stolen, really sucks ****!!! ugh, fawk thieves!
Old 01-28-10, 11:46 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Why? Because I'm bringing logic into it? What you said is fraud - plain and simple.

Believe as you wish. File a claim and find out, but don't say you weren't forewarned when it happens.

And the point to that statement goes missing...

Yes, I am well aware that they use aftermarket "OEM quality" parts. Doesn't change the fact here. It's not an OEM spoiler, so how could they repair it with something that is OEM? Do you see the circular argument you've created?

No. See above. Circular arguments/reasoning don't have any points.

I do not have Safe Auto, thanks, but clearly you are not willing to even make a phone call to your agent to find out that I'm correct, so I spoke with my State Farm agent, who confirmed that yes, they would pay for glass, but not tint. Aftermarket stereo equipment? Only with a rider, and only with installation pictures and receipts. Aftermarket rims? Only with a receipt, and only with locking lugs on them. Aftermarket accessories? Only if they are permanently mounted to the vehicle with fasteners (I specified tape, and he said that was a no no), and only if they do not exceed $500 - at which point they would be considered an addendum to the policy. He also said that body kits, wings, spoilers, and diffusers are considered aftermarket and they take into account the cost of replacement and repainting, virtually assuring that it will exceed $500 with shop rates.

Not sure why you're fighting this so hard just to be proven wrong, but so be it. The facts are the facts, and you can choose to dispute them, but it doesn't make them anything less. Regardless of all of this back and forth, it just sucks we even have to consider it. People should have more respect for others property.

Big Mack
Again, what I said is not fraud. Plain and simple. I don't need to make a phone call to anyone. Again, if you actually read what I post, you will find the answers to all of your comments. I'm done with your circular arguments. One minute you say that aftermarket things aren't covered. Next thing you say is that you talked to your "agent" and he says that aftermarket things are covered. It's funny b/c you are having circular arguments to your own statements. I posted what I had to say to help out a fellow cl member. If you want to believe whatever you want to believe, fine. Don't sit there and type and say that my points are invalid and fraud and then saying that "I'm fighting to be proven wrong...". It's pretty sad that you lack common sense from real case scenarios, as opposed to you "proving me wrong by calling your one local agent". How come my "aftermarket non oem cell phone" in my prev. ES was fully covered under my state farm policy when it was stolen? It wasn't harnessed, like your "agent" said it had to be. Is that fraud? Did I have to make any phone calls to prove you wrong? The answer is NO. Looks like your proven wrong

Again, I don't have time to waste here and prove myself, to one disgruntled member. I post things based on previous knowledge as to try to help others. So again, you have loopholes in your arguments, you have been proven wrong, yet again. Go find another thread to argue on. I'm done with this conversation.

Last edited by CPMD; 01-28-10 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 07:32 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Again, what I said is not fraud. Plain and simple.
Yes, it is. Feel free to argue it, but you are 100% incorrect. Period.

I don't need to make a phone call to anyone.
Of course you don't.

Again, if you actually read what I post, you will find the answers to all of your comments.
No, I won't, but that's fine.

I'm done with your circular arguments.
You are the one creating them, I'm simply dispelling them as quickly as possible to actually help other members.

One minute you say that aftermarket things aren't covered. Next thing you say is that you talked to your "agent" and he says that aftermarket things are covered.
I never said they couldn't be covered. I said your standard policy won't cover them, and that is 100% true. You are creating another circular argument. (And I'm sensing a pattern here).

I posted what I had to say to help out a fellow cl member.
And what you've succeeded in doing is tell him to commit fraud and then start a debate with me with regard to something you have no actual information.

Don't sit there and type and say that my points are invalid and fraud and then saying that "I'm fighting to be proven wrong...".
Don't tell me what to do, and you are. I'll do everything I can to give factual information to fellow members.

How come my "aftermarket non oem cell phone" in my prev. ES was fully covered under my state farm policy when it was stolen?
Because it was paid under your homeowner's or renter's policy, most likely. That's speculation, but it's also not an accessory that would need to be attached to the vehicle since contents that can be proven and reported to police are in many cases covered. Again, though, that's not what we were talking about for the OP, and again, it's a circular argument since it isn't.

It wasn't harnessed, like your "agent" said it had to be. Is that fraud?
No, it's not fraud. If it was stolen, it was stolen. If you gave them the make and model and ESN, it was reported. Again with the circular arguments. Did you claim it was a non-existent Lexus phone? No?? Oh, then probably not the same scenario now is it? (Rhetorical question, no actual response required in case you were wondering)

Looks like your proven wrong.
No, it looks like the circle completed itself in your mind. Congratulations.

Again, I don't have time to waste here and prove myself, to one disgruntled member. I post things based on previous knowledge as to try to help others. So again, you have loopholes in your arguments, you have been proven wrong, yet again. Go find another thread to argue on. I'm done with this conversation.
Wasting time? I think not. You argued that he should fraudulently claim that his spoiler was OEM and came with the car. That is fraud. You have proven nothing, nor am I disgruntled. I'm simply trying to help a member and discourage them from filing fraudulent claims. And thank you for finally exiting the conversation so those who are actually trying to help can.

Big Mack
Old 01-29-10, 10:25 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK guys....we get the point.....let's get back on topic.
Old 01-29-10, 12:34 PM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

Sorry for your loss bro!
Old 01-29-10, 04:03 PM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear about that. That Fing sucks.