GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So I'm bout to just like sell this car

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 09:55 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SirBev
Sounds like they don't know what is wrong with it either, I was actually looking at all data and it's saying that the tilt wheel motor install time is 2.5 hours...Is the motor bad or the control that is sending the signal bad? because it was saying that it take a certain ohm to move in one direction and another to go back to rest...did he ohm it out to see if that was straight? but if he put the steering wheel down means that the motor should be fine....Stealer-ships are usually pretty good about trying to get money out of you they are just changing the entire assembly to make them take in more profits...They tired that slick **** when I took my Benz to one of them took 30 mins for him to actually stop bull****ting and replace the solenoid and not the hole assembly price difference $900.
yea thats wat i thought. im lyk its no way that u wuld have to replace the whole thing if it still works sometimes. it prolly is jus a connection piece or sumthing crazy lyk that. no way i need to pay all that

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Check ebay or one of these auto parts sites on the internet and then take it to another ASE shop.. IF you buy the part 2.5hrs of labor is like 150.00..

I feel ya about trying to save money.. Anytime you have anything save something comes up and puts u two steps backwards unfortunately
yea i might take it somewhere else. plus i wonder if anyone can or knows how to jus disable the damn thing. i'm not too pressed about the telescopic steering wheel. i wont miss it that much

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Take a deep breath. Get a can of white lithium grease, take the panel off the bottom of the steering wheel. And grease up the two gears that spin when you raise lower the wheel. Grease em up while moving the wheel up/down, then in/out. There's a DIY with pix in the big DIY thread sticky to help.
the first guy i talked to at lexus did say sumthing bout greasing it up. i may do this. does anyone else thnk this wuld really help?
Old 01-30-10, 11:09 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BP_VVt-i
today my steering wheel is acting retarded and that just added to the laundry list of problems. I rly dont know what to do. i searched the forums and saw sum ppl got the steering thing disabled but its like really whats the point of paying all this money for a luxury car and everything dnt work.
Here is a DIY for the steering tilt on an SC model, it's the same for my 99 GS300, more than likely you just need to lube it up. Mine would get stuck in the up position and grind when entering/exiting the vehicle, but after lubing the insides it works like a charm. There may be other DIY stuff that might help you out. I didn't take out the washer like some people did in the DIY link. I just lubed the bolt that is used to retract/extract the steering wheel.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-repair.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 01-30-10 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 01:50 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a good time to ditch the steering wheel for an aftermarket one.
Old 01-30-10, 02:11 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chumacher
you should sell the car and get some phonics lessons
AGREED! Too many Americans are letting their texting habits spill over into the english language. It gets pretty annoying to me and also can be difficult to read.
Old 01-30-10, 02:13 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An above member posted the DIY for an SC model.

Here is the 2GS DIY . https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-solution.html

OP- You asked if it will help. Who knows, and the only way to find out is to do it. I think you should do this DIY first. It will cost like $3, its worth a try. Get some all purpose grease from autozone
Old 01-30-10, 06:03 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Thanks for your input. For now it works. I think its a matter of how cold it is that's also affecting the way it responses because today it snowed and after the car sat for like a few seconds after already being driven for the day it worked perfectly fine. I must admit you never realize how bad you need something is until it breaks. Oh and I hope this time there are no phonetical errors because I don't want the grammar police (Chumacher and ChampGS3) don't get me. LOL(or should I type out Laugh Out Loud)
Old 01-30-10, 06:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BP_VVt-i
Thanks for your input. For now it works. I think its a matter of how cold it is that's also affecting the way it responses because today it snowed and after the car sat for like a few seconds after already being driven for the day it worked perfectly fine. I must admit you never realize how bad you need something is until it breaks. Oh and I hope this time there are no phonetical errors because I don't want the grammar police (Chumacher and ChampGS3) don't get me. LOL(or should I type out Laugh Out Loud)
I'm sure the cold weather plays a role in electrical parts and contacts... Try that DIY posted above.. Its worth a try for an easy fix..
Old 01-30-10, 06:37 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SirBev
Stealer-ships are usually pretty good about trying to get money out of you they are just changing the entire assembly to make them take in more profits.
That's because stealerships don't fix, they replace. They don't like the word fix.

If it's only having issues now in certain weather, it's more than likely weather related. Now in my case, when it's really hot out, it moans, just needs to be lubed..
Old 01-30-10, 08:23 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I'm sure the cold weather plays a role in electrical parts and contacts... Try that DIY posted above.. Its worth a try for an easy fix..
yea i just read through it. i will definitely check that out some time this week. but for now everythng is just sitting in the driveway frozen covered with like * inches of snow. the lovely stuff that ruins your day. got to love inclement weather (sarcasm)

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
That's because stealerships don't fix, they replace. They don't like the word fix.

If it's only having issues now in certain weather, it's more than likely weather related. Now in my case, when it's really hot out, it moans, just needs to be lubed..
you know i realized that too. they always telling me how they have to replace this whole unit or that whole piece. like instead of telling someone you have to buy a whole new upper control arm, why dont they offer to install some daizen bushings. but they wont do that to help you out. it's such a fail