GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So I'm bout to just like sell this car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 08:13 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I'm bout to just like sell this car

Don't get me wrong I love my car and I even have parts that I purchased to install in the future that are just piling up in my room. BUT its like problem after problem. i realize that this is a 1999 GS300 and its getting old but its like what the heck happened to the Lexus/Toyota reliability? today my steering wheel is acting retarded and that just added to the laundry list of problems. I rly dont know what to do. i searched the forums and saw sum ppl got the steering thing disabled but its like really whats the point of paying all this money for a luxury car and everything dnt work. I understand if this was a straight project car like Jay Pizzaro did but this is my damn daily driver. I cant believe you gotta go thru so much stuff with my car. I know you gotta "pay the cost to be the boss" (really the person with a lexus) but really what happened to reliability? i guess after 11yrs everything has to break.
BTW does anyone know how to manually override the steering wheel?
sorry about venting
Old 01-29-10, 08:18 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

define steering wheel acting retarded? I'm sure your issues can be logically explained and easily remedied.
Old 01-29-10, 08:27 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

ok so basically its like when i start the car the wheel supposed to automatically adjust into place but it doesnt. its stuck in an up position lyk im driving a damn Transit Bus. it started working again but then it went back out. when i left work. the dealer offered the idea that it was becuz its so cold but that doesnt make sense becuz its been plenty colder than 20degrees around here
Old 01-29-10, 08:34 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

ok..the car is 11 years old...electronics DO have a serviceable life. Have you investigated any of the fuses? Relays? Probably not if you're willing to sell one of the best looking most reliable vehicles of all time for a small glitch like that.

if you really wanna sell, I'll be in MD in july. I'll take it off your hands
Old 01-29-10, 08:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Those steering wheels electric motors have been known to go.. With 11 years wear and tear it maybe the motor
Old 01-29-10, 08:48 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

stop abusing the car and it will be fine. i saw your picture of a burnout....
Old 01-29-10, 09:04 PM
SirBev
Pole Position

Alot of things can give you an issue with the temp being that cold, like myself I find that if it is too cold outside if I wanted to put the key in the door to open it, that might not happen being the temp outside right now is 17 degree's after 5 hours the actually temp might be alot lower than that which will cause things to cease up. However since it is electrical you could have an intermittent electrical short somewhere that could have developed over the time period that you have owned the ride. Just so you know everything in my car moves alot slower the cold the temp gets including my telescope steering wheel when I get the key in.
Old 01-29-10, 09:21 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
ok..the car is 11 years old...electronics DO have a serviceable life. Have you investigated any of the fuses? Relays? Probably not if you're willing to sell one of the best looking most reliable vehicles of all time for a small glitch like that.

if you really wanna sell, I'll be in MD in july. I'll take it off your hands
LOL. Imma wait and see what the dealers say 2maro. i do have my eye set on the IS300 especially becuz it comes in manual but i gotta check out my finances. i'll keep u in mind thou. lol

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Those steering wheels electric motors have been known to go.. With 11 years wear and tear it maybe the motor
yea thats what im thinkin it is. hopefully its not that much to repair.

Originally Posted by 5t341th
stop abusing the car and it will be fine. i saw your picture of a burnout....
Will do sir. but that was a lil while back. not really doing that anymore. i actually been working to repair everything and i havent done anything wreckless that i would have thought could have caused this except the old age of the car. hopefully i dont have to pay an arm and a leg to get stuff repaired.
Old 01-30-10, 07:00 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Ok so here's the verdict for those of you who may still be listening. lol....i go to the dealer this morning and they check it out. $68 and a hour later they come back to say that the only solution they could offer to this problem is to replace the entire gear assembly in the telescopic steering column. and whats the price of that i ask (knowing that they actually want my first born child as a fee) the price to replace it is.....drumroll pls....$1511. parts and labor of course. so i tell them thats way out of the question. the guy got it down but he didnt disable it. I asked this Mr. Rogers looking guy if they could and he was like no no no we can't do that. so i was like ok thats cool. i'll just take it somewhere else. It works for now, but i'm sure its jus a matter of time before the unmovable steering column strikes again. LOL.
Old 01-30-10, 07:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

your best bet is to hit a junkyard or ebay, and find a motor for the steering movement. Then, before you install it, you or have someone else rebuild it, so you know it'll be ok. Honestly, if you can disassemble it yourself, i'm willing to bet it's something as stupid as a loose wire coming from the ignition cylinder key sensing relay that tells the steering wheel to come back down. the car IS 11 years old...wires do come loose, fuses blow....think about how many times the steering wheel has done that motion in 11 years...not such an astounding problem anymore huh? lol
Old 01-30-10, 07:30 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

lol^^^ so true and i have been thnkin bout that since last night. but its just one of those things that gets u down. cuz i actually had some extra cash saved up but then i had to buy books for school and its like damn no money but it was fine cuz everythng worked but then this happens so im like WTF!!! FML!! cuz i'm on a mean budget. but i'm not even dreading over it no more. no point in crying over spilt milk in the words of someone's grandmother. lol
Old 01-30-10, 07:31 AM
SirBev
Pole Position

Sounds like they don't know what is wrong with it either, I was actually looking at all data and it's saying that the tilt wheel motor install time is 2.5 hours...Is the motor bad or the control that is sending the signal bad? because it was saying that it take a certain ohm to move in one direction and another to go back to rest...did he ohm it out to see if that was straight? but if he put the steering wheel down means that the motor should be fine....Stealer-ships are usually pretty good about trying to get money out of you they are just changing the entire assembly to make them take in more profits...They tired that slick **** when I took my Benz to one of them took 30 mins for him to actually stop bull****ting and replace the solenoid and not the hole assembly price difference $900.
Old 01-30-10, 08:15 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Check ebay or one of these auto parts sites on the internet and then take it to another ASE shop.. IF you buy the part 2.5hrs of labor is like 150.00..

I feel ya about trying to save money.. Anytime you have anything save something comes up and puts u two steps backwards unfortunately
Old 01-30-10, 08:40 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a deep breath. Get a can of white lithium grease, take the panel off the bottom of the steering wheel. And grease up the two gears that spin when you raise lower the wheel. Grease em up while moving the wheel up/down, then in/out. There's a DIY with pix in the big DIY thread sticky to help.
Old 01-30-10, 09:55 AM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should sell the car and get some phonics lessons

Quick Reply: So I'm bout to just like sell this car