GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cel p0171

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 08:24 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cel p0171

Hi guys, I got this code recently P0171 and I am thinking of chaning my O2 both the pass & driver sides. I also think I would go for the OEM one which I will solder the wires myselft. What do you suggest? I think our O2 sensor for 2GS4'98 is the heated one with four wires, right? Do you know any online one carry our sensors? I still want to go with the Denso one. Also, I heard that some online have a different part number for the O2 for our car. What is the part# for our car, if anyone know pls? I don't want to spend a whole lots of money. This is will be DIY stuff. I got much of the tools except the open socket wrench to remove it. Any helps are appreciate guys.
Old 01-29-10, 08:27 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how many miles on the car? what maintenance has been done? what exactly is the 0171 code as read?

o2sensors.com carries good replacements at a cheap price.

If you're doing o2's, you might as well do plugs, and clean maf/throttle body, as well as swap out fuel filter.
Old 01-29-10, 09:40 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
how many miles on the car? what maintenance has been done? what exactly is the 0171 code as read?

o2sensors.com carries good replacements at a cheap price.

If you're doing o2's, you might as well do plugs, and clean maf/throttle body, as well as swap out fuel filter.
I have 145013 on 2gs4's 98. I did clean the MAF, replaced TB, water pump, crank & camp shaft seals, thermostat, water tempuratur sensor but not the sender sensor one which attach to the radiator, Lower Ball Joins, UCA's, Outer tie rods, caster arms, Daizen bushes for steering rack, KYB II struts, Tien springs, DBA rotors, and NH brake calipers, spark plugs & seals, flush tranny & differential & coolant. I did all of those at 140173. I also have the K&N air system on the car for about 5 months now, and I clean the MAF quite often to prevent any clog up on the MAF sensor with CRC maf. The code P0171 meant Fuel Trim Malfunction ................. Too Lean. I also found this website www.rockauto.com for very cheap like $40eac for Universal Denso one. The parts# are the same with Denso website 234-4209. I think I am going to replace both sides on the front since the parts# are the same and it is cheap. I hope I got this correct as far as the parts# goes and our car takes the heated one with four wires, right? Thanks for the quick response, jcat_GS3;5183892.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DENSO Part.pdf (210.1 KB, 680 views)
Old 01-29-10, 10:15 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

fuel trim malfunction code with the k&n intake likely means the piping diameter of the intake is greater than stock thus allowing more air than fuel causing a lean condition.

Buy an Apexi NEO and compensate for the percent difference in pipe diameter with the exact same percent difference in fuel, and youll be all set
Old 01-29-10, 10:18 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

fuel trim malfunction code with the k&n intake likely means the piping diameter of the intake is greater than stock thus allowing more air than fuel causing a lean condition.

Buy an Apexi NEO and compensate for the percent difference in pipe diameter with the exact same percent difference in fuel, and youll be all set
jcat, if you don't mind, where can I get at Apexi NEO online? I hope this is not too much to ask. You are very helpful and quick response as well. Thanks so much, jcat.
Old 01-29-10, 10:39 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

jcat, I found this online Apexi Cold Air Intake Filter Power Intake Direct OE replacement. Is this I need to buy or something else? I don't see any pipe though.
Old 01-29-10, 11:00 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

ask and you shall recieve

http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=5347
Old 01-29-10, 11:16 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

jcat, thanks so much. I could not believe my eyes. The price...! That is like almost get another set of air intake like SRT & Ecu. Before going either route, can I just dyno my car and compensate with the stock ecu. I heard that the stock ecu can compensate with the k&n intake. Is it possible? Once again, thanks, jcat.
Old 01-30-10, 05:46 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ivnnln
jcat, thanks so much. I could not believe my eyes. The price...! That is like almost get another set of air intake like SRT & Ecu. Before going either route, can I just dyno my car and compensate with the stock ecu. I heard that the stock ecu can compensate with the k&n intake. Is it possible? Once again, thanks, jcat.
that's apexi's direct site. You can find them cheaper elsewhere on the web, even used.

The stock ecu can only go so far. The reason the SRT comes with an ecu is because of the same issue...piping diameter is larger, therefore need more fuel. If you can find a tuner who can tune the stock ecu be my guest, but they are few and far between without some type of piggyback device, like the neo. You could even go AEM FI/C 8 but it's a wicked pain to tune, and i've heard bad things about it. Standalone is overkill for your application.
Old 01-30-10, 08:46 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

jcat_gs3, I thanks you so much for your help. You are the man. I am still looking around on the web for a cheaper price. However, one of the CL's member might have one for this price Apexi SAFC 2 $150 from Morris. Is this the one I am looking for? How difficult is to install this thing, and what should I do after the installation? Bring the car to the shop for tuning, or I just tune it myself? Once again, Thank alots.
Old 01-30-10, 06:04 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ivnnln
jcat_gs3, I thanks you so much for your help. You are the man. I am still looking around on the web for a cheaper price. However, one of the CL's member might have one for this price Apexi SAFC 2 $150 from Morris. Is this the one I am looking for? How difficult is to install this thing, and what should I do after the installation? Bring the car to the shop for tuning, or I just tune it myself? Once again, Thank alots.
an SAFC2 is basically the same thing, just has a few less features IIRC. You're only looking to control air/fuel mixture though. I would recommend having a shop install and tune the device.