GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I have an intake enclosure specifically for the Swift Racing GS4 config.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-02, 05:29 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I have an intake enclosure specifically for the Swift Racing GS4 config.

Hey guys,

I have just finish the design of an intake box for Swift racing intake only on the GS4 model. I still need to find the right noise insulation material to attach to the inside of the box. I have already tried a 1/8" thick foam material. It helped the noise reduction a little but I still want to have less noise.

On my first run, I have tried my sheet metal enclosure without the foam, it didn't really reduce the noise that much. However, I did noticed that my car is pulling harder (for some odd reason).

On my 2nd run, I have attached this 1/8" foam material on the inside of the box and the lid, the intake noise is reduced by 20-30%. It also changed the intake noise to a deeper tone. I had an opportunity to run along side with a Z06, as we both went WOT, my lexus sounded just like the Z06. The deep v8 roar.

I am still trying to improve the noise reduction and the design of my box. Once my prototype is anodized from the shop, I will take some picture for you guys. The final production run will be black powder coated for durability.

You guys can let me know what you think before I offer it to all the GS4 owner with Swift Racing intake.
Old 05-21-02, 06:19 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

could u put that dyno mat foam, then dyno mat again??

ShOwGS
Old 05-21-02, 09:07 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Do you really think it sucks enough air from the opening by the fog light if you box it off.....!
Old 05-21-02, 11:15 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

ShowGsLuvv,
Are you suggesting 2 layer of the dyno mat foam? Humm....can you show me where you can get this dyno mat foam? I would like to see the material of this foam. Thanks

GS400_pusher,
I was thinking about the same thing as I was designing this sheet metal enclousure. My prototype enclosure is not a fully enclosed box. I sealed most of the openings close to the engin bay. However, I do have some air gap close to the head lights area. I cannot explain the phenomenon why the car is pulling harder under WOT....... Maybe the separation of the hot air and the cold air allowed the combustion to be more efficient? I can definitely feel the difference in temperature between the inside of the box vs the engine bay temperature.
I think the trick is to find the right foam that can insulate the noise and the heat.

I am going to try a different foam material this weekend, and i will let you guys know.
Old 05-21-02, 11:51 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Kajukenbo:

Try the following materials.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.j...D=3033&BQ=jcw2

Chu...
Old 05-22-02, 12:08 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Would creating a snorkel to replace the one removed from the stock airbox to feed additional cool air be beneficial? The way I see it the stock intake creates a ram air effect and the SRT and other aftermarket intake does not seem to take this into consideration. Getting cool fresh air from below the headlight doesn't seem to be very effective verses the stock setup?

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 05-22-02 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-22-02, 06:51 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ChuH
Would creating a snorkel to replace the one removed from the stock airbox to feed additional cool air be beneficial? The way I see it the stock intake creates a ram air effect and the SRT and other aftermarket intake does not seem to take this into consideration. Getting cool fresh air from below the headlight doesn't seem to be very effective verses the stock setup?

Chu...
Chu, you were reading my mind! Maybe that could be the next project for MRGS400nSoCali when he gets done with the hard pipe for the radiator? More chrome under the hood!
Old 05-22-02, 09:13 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

What if I modify the enclosure so that we can still use the stock air "snorkel" (above the radiator) that came with our car?

I think it can be done as long as it provides performance improvement to the SRT intake system.
Old 05-22-02, 09:21 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

hey Kajukenbo, the material im talking about, you can get it at any Sound system business, same people who hook up speakers and what not, it's normally used to tuck away on the roof of the car, in the trunk, it's used to keep the bass from speakers inside the car, i was suggesting to have a layer of dynomat, then the layer of foam, and another layer of dynomat, to make it really sound proof, im not sure if it'll work but it's worth a shot, hopefully that helps and someone else could be able to off more info about sound proofing material from those electronic shops
good luck

ShOwGS
Old 05-22-02, 09:32 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
What if I modify the enclosure so that we can still use the stock air "snorkel" (above the radiator) that came with our car?

I think it can be done as long as it provides performance improvement to the SRT intake system.
Exactly!
Old 05-22-02, 01:36 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
ShowGsLuvv,
Are you suggesting 2 layer of the dyno mat foam? Humm....can you show me where you can get this dyno mat foam? I would like to see the material of this foam. Thanks

GS400_pusher,
I was thinking about the same thing as I was designing this sheet metal enclousure. My prototype enclosure is not a fully enclosed box. I sealed most of the openings close to the engin bay. However, I do have some air gap close to the head lights area. I cannot explain the phenomenon why the car is pulling harder under WOT....... Maybe the separation of the hot air and the cold air allowed the combustion to be more efficient? I can definitely feel the difference in temperature between the inside of the box vs the engine bay temperature.
I think the trick is to find the right foam that can insulate the noise and the heat.

I am going to try a different foam material this weekend, and i will let you guys know.
I agree!!

it pulls harder!!
it just seems/sounds/feels different without the cold air box...

its better with the box!!!
Old 05-22-02, 08:24 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds good!

Kajukenbo – Did you read my thread of the WR CAB mated up with the SRT? The insulation that I used came from the J.C. Whitney link that ChuH provided. It’s both a heat shield and sound deadener. It’s made a noticeable difference in the noise level of my intake. It’s cut the noise level enough so that I like the sound now and don’t plan on trying to reduce it any more.

It’s made of 2 layers of industrial-grade aluminum laminated to 3/8” of Fiber Tech padding. I’ve got some left over and if you’re interested, pm me and I’ll send you enough to try – you’ll need some contact adhesive (not the standard highly flammable kind) to glue it in place. The roll I bought was $26.95 and adhesive was 9.95 at JCW.

Glad you’re doin’ this – you’ll be a little late for me, but there ought to be a bunch of the guys who’d like less noise from their SRT intakes. Good luck!

Another thought - be sure that whatever you use can stand up to the heat - even inside the insulated box it's gonna be hot - you don't want a melted mess catching on fire under there. Be wary of the materials.

Last edited by garnet92; 05-22-02 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-22-02, 10:49 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Thanks Garnet92 for all the good recommandations.
I will be sure that I don't use anything that cannot take the high temperature environment.

I will post some pictures tomorrow to show you guys what I have so far. I have installed 1/8" Poron foam on the both inside and outside of the enclosure. Poron foam is an exotic foam material used by many commercial industries. It can withstand high heat.

I will however buy some of those sound damping material from JC Whitney as ChuH has pointed out previously. I need to call them to find out how thick is their material. I think 3/8" is the max thickness that we should go to........