GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 Gs430 Hid light--self leveling/output

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 05:17 PM
djoelart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Gs430 Hid light--self leveling/output

Hello--My names is Douglas---Can someone please help me. I just picked up my car from the auto body shop because I had some damage to my hood, bumper, and left side headlight assembly. The repair shop informed me that they would be replacing all parts and installing a new headlight assembly. Before i took it to them I always noticed that when i turned on my lights they would level from the ground up. They no longer do this--although the driver side light is clear and bright where the damage was it doesnt appear to have the blue hue of the right side lamp---I read the codes etc. on the outside of the headlight and it appears to be a toyota product with the same marking etc.. of the right side that was not replaced---Did they disconnect something or was i not provided with the 1400.00 dollar assembly they were suppose to be installing--I could leave it like it is but it bothers me that i dont see the little leveling and one light appear clear and the other a hint of blue--HOW can i tell -should i take it to the dealer
Old 02-05-10, 10:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by djoelart
Hello--My names is Douglas---Can someone please help me. I just picked up my car from the auto body shop because I had some damage to my hood, bumper, and left side headlight assembly. The repair shop informed me that they would be replacing all parts and installing a new headlight assembly. Before i took it to them I always noticed that when i turned on my lights they would level from the ground up. They no longer do this--although the driver side light is clear and bright where the damage was it doesnt appear to have the blue hue of the right side lamp---I read the codes etc. on the outside of the headlight and it appears to be a toyota product with the same marking etc.. of the right side that was not replaced---Did they disconnect something or was i not provided with the 1400.00 dollar assembly they were suppose to be installing--I could leave it like it is but it bothers me that i dont see the little leveling and one light appear clear and the other a hint of blue--HOW can i tell -should i take it to the dealer
sounds like they gave you a different headlight?

what year is your car? if its 2001+ it should have a green tint to it and the auto levelers should be working....it really seems like they cut a corner here. i would call your insurance agent and talk to them first
Old 02-05-10, 11:09 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

No matter what they did the auto leveling should work, period. So just go back and show that the auto leveling doesn't work and have them fix it. Guessing and wondering why this is this and that, is not for you to understand and resolve. It's their problem to fix the auto-level, and hopefully the rest will just take care of itself.

As for the bulb color, well let's see it could be that the blue hue is due to the previous owner changing to a 5k or 6k bulb and now the replacement headlight has the factory 4k. If it's true that the previous owner upgraded bulbs, then it might not be covered in your insurance policy and you may need to purchase matching bulbs on your own. (Not sure if this was an insurance job tho)

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-05-10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 01:47 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, to test the auto leveler, turn on your lights, leave them on, exit the car, lock the car with the remote, open car with remote, stick key in ignition and turn to ACC position, lights should turn on and do the test...Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-10, 02:47 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The difference in color between the bulbs could be due to the age of your old bulb as well. HID bulbs shift colors as they get some hours on them, a brand new bulb will be whiter than a bulb that's been used for a while. Your best bet may be to find out exactly what bulb the shop put in and buy a new one for the other side. They should've used a Phillips bulb, find out exactly which one and you should be able to get one on Ebay alot cheaper than list.

I agree on taking it back to the shop and letting them fix it. It's their responsibility. It could be as simple as them forgetting to plug in the leveling motor but regardless that's their problem.

Is your auto-leveling light on on the dash? That could help narrow it down as well.
Old 02-08-10, 08:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Is your auto-leveling light on on the dash? That could help narrow it down as well.
um kyle....do u have a light i have NEVER seen and isnt in the manual and ONLY you seem to have?
Old 02-08-10, 08:55 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
um kyle....do u have a light i have NEVER seen and isnt in the manual and ONLY you seem to have?
Actually everyone has it it looks like a bulb with the line thru it.
Old 02-08-10, 11:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Actually everyone has it it looks like a bulb with the line thru it.
brb going to get my manual and turn my key on....hmmmm.

EDIT:OK I WAS WRONG HAHAHA

ok page 48 in manual explains it.. i just knew that as a take car to dealer light per page 42. even when i replaced that light i didnt know it was a auto-leveler light. ty you two

and kyle....i retract my statement and apologize. when you gonna post some pics of your retro sir?

Last edited by sakataj; 02-08-10 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 12:43 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
brb going to get my manual and turn my key on....hmmmm.

EDIT:OK I WAS WRONG HAHAHA

ok page 48 in manual explains it.. i just knew that as a take car to dealer light per page 42. even when i replaced that light i didnt know it was a auto-leveler light. ty you two

and kyle....i retract my statement and apologize. when you gonna post some pics of your retro sir?

At least I'm not losing my mind, questioned myself there for a second!

Actually I'm off work today due to weather and being really slow so I finally figured out how to upload pics and I'll probably put up a thread with some shots of my car sometime this afternoon. Nothing too exciting but I got a few pics of the Q45's.
Old 02-08-10, 01:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
At least I'm not losing my mind, questioned myself there for a second!

Actually I'm off work today due to weather and being really slow so I finally figured out how to upload pics and I'll probably put up a thread with some shots of my car sometime this afternoon. Nothing too exciting but I got a few pics of the Q45's.

nah i just didnt know that was what hat bulb was

cool post them up kyle