GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

check this out !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 07:47 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shine also has a JP style 3 piece wing..The reason the TTE fits well is its an OEM P/N as well ...Henry you could go with a Gintani or even (for less) an RPI exhaust for your M3.. ...
Old 02-18-10, 02:49 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I agree with David - don't buy fake stuff and then pose it as real. If it's replica, say it's replica and deal with it. You saved the money, you should be able to nicely defend yourself - no need to lie and say it's authentic. I personally would NEVER buy anything replica for my car - I've seen all the work that goes into designing and R&D'ing these kits, and I've seen how offended the designers get when these companies steal (yes, STEAL) the original design and sell it as their own for profit.

Javier
Hi my name is Robert and my car parts are replicas, lol That is some silly stuff, Im going to leave it up to the experts to point out my replicas. What ever happened to Fronting? Im bringing frontin back fools..
Old 02-18-10, 06:11 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd like to contribute...this seems like a GREAT deal! Period.

This isn't me (or my situation) but let's play Devil's advocate. Let's say you're a fairly young guy with NOT a whole lot of disposable income and have ALWAYS liked the Lexus GS (or any Lexus model for that matter) and can now afford a used one in good condition. You REALLY like the JP products but cannot afford thousands of dollars for the look that you are trying to achieve. So, does this mean that this person should NEVER get the look that he/she wants if they can't ever afford the top-dollar stuff? BS! It's their car they should do what they please with it. I BET they would STILL get compliments on the look and style from the normal passer by. No one will go up to them and say what is the name brand and is it authentic? If they do...then tell them the truth. Don't lie at all. On the CL forums put the actual description in your signature line. When I had my stock trunk spoiler it wasn't OEM...it was a Wings West spoiler which was a replica of the OEM one; my sig said Wings West OEM style trunk spoiler for quite some time; until I got my TTE trunk lip spoiler.

I understand that those that can afford it would be pissed off. I tell you right now it would DEFINITELY **** me off if someone else I knew got a replica L-Sportline body kit and received as many if not more compliments on their mod than I got on my AUTHENTIC mod. I would be mad...especially when I found out that I paid TWICE of what they paid. But that's LIFE!

Think about this one...there are guys that do only a couple of small(er)cycles of steroids; the correct way (where they don't look completely obvious) and they get all the looks from the ladies at the beach (believe it or not a lot of Hollywood actors do a quick cycle). Women don't go over to them and say how much do you bench? or did you cheat and use sterioids? That's not how it works...but then you have people like me that never used steroids that DEVOTES many, many HOURS at the gym for YEARS to achieve results not on par with the aformentioned where I don't get AS MANY "looks" from the ladies at the beach. It's just the way life is. Some people make a choice to do things a different way, if you don't like it - either turn away or join 'em!

In the instance with these car parts...let's take RMM for example. The body components are nice products products but the fitment is lacking. In that case if I REALLY liked RMM body components and didn't want to have to DEAL with the poor fitment issues I would search for a better fitting replica...and I wouldn't be afraid to tell anyone. There are larger issues in life to worry about. This is supposed to be a FUN hobby for people and different views, styles, mods and ideologies is what makes it even better. It wouldn't be as fun and interesting if people didn't do things "outside the box."
Old 02-18-10, 06:39 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Very well stated!
Old 02-18-10, 08:42 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I'd like to contribute...this seems like a GREAT deal! Period.
Well said. Even if you are not a poor college student but a well-established career person, it doesn't make any financial sense to pay 1000% more for a product that you can have (and maybe even fit better) for a fraction of the cost. Yes, I know R&D costs money but $8k for a Techart fiberglass front bumper for porsches? Please...

My thing about non-replica parts is if I can afford it AND if I want to spend the extra money, I'd get it. I don't mod my car for the "claim of exclusivity" but rather I mod it b/c I like the look. I don't have a problem with people buying replica parts, but like most people have already said...own up to it that it's replica. don't put BBS centercaps on Linea corse wheels. My biggest gripe is either with replica or super exclusive authentic parts, some people out there come across with this bad-a$$ stuckup attitude (which is even worse with the people rocking replica parts). Like Rock-a-lex said, it's a hobby for FUN, stop worrying about what other people have and don't have and enjoy life

My name is Edwin and my porsche has a Techart Style front and rear bumper.
Old 02-19-10, 06:01 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

...Thanks guys; we should all play nice. lol
Old 02-19-10, 09:15 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to admit this is the best of the "real vs. replica" threads that I've read in a while. Everyone has their own opinions and principles, and those have been posted in a mature, well thought out and respectful manner. Well done everyone.

Javier
Old 02-19-10, 09:57 AM
kevon54
Driver School Candidate

Can I get some more pics of the roof spoiler mounted please?
Old 02-19-10, 01:30 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel like I come in somewhere in the middle of the whole replica debate, I'm not a huge fan of them and respect the R & D that goes into the original product but I have to admit that for something small like that roof spoiler the thought crosses my mind when I saw the price.

IMHO, not to defend the knockoff makers/sellers, but it might be a little more palatable to me if they didn't market the parts as "JP replica" or "TTE replica" or whatever. If they left that part out and just called it a GS trunk spoiler or front lip they wouldn't be making quite as direct and shameless an effort to steal business from JP or TTE. That's where I'd be even more upset if I were JP, not only are these people stealing your design but they're using your name to sell it as well.
Old 02-20-10, 07:11 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

any updates on fitment??
Old 02-21-10, 08:36 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
any updates on fitment??
hey i got the roof spoiler and the 3 pc wing. i havent tried out the wing but i the roof spoiler fits very nicely. i'm going to try n get a pic up here later on this evening. but for reference its similar to the blick roof spoiler except the bottom back kinda slopes up instead of just laying flat.
Old 02-21-10, 08:48 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

nice take some pics^^
Old 02-21-10, 09:20 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

here go sum pics. sorry for the duct tape. it was the only thing that would hold on my car given its cold as **** and my car is stupid dirty. lol
BTW i'm getting the roof spoiler and the 3 pc wing wrapped in CF so i wont actually be installing for a while

HERE THE SPOILER IS CENTERED ON THE ROOF. THIS IS THE ONLY GAP.
Old 02-21-10, 10:35 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Would any and all reputable body ships be able to get these to fit right?
Old 02-22-10, 01:08 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BP_VVt-i

HERE THE SPOILER IS CENTERED ON THE ROOF. THIS IS THE ONLY GAP.
Wow!!...that roof spoiler looks horrible (imo). Its like a piece of lumber on your glass. It doesn't even transition well from the edge of the roof.

Last edited by PHML; 02-22-10 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: check this out !!