GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Polyurethane ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 05:42 PM
speedlabx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane ?

It seems every front lip out there other then the TTE lip and the ugly vizage lip are our only choice for polyurethane. Can anyone link me to a how to make your own polyurethane lip link, just curious of how the process is done. I would really like a front lip in urethane other then the TTE and the vizage. A wald front polyurethane front lip would be sweet. I tried google on a how too DIY polyurethane lip with no success. And I did have a ABS plastic greddy lip that shattered in pieces so I’m not going that route with greddy polyurethane. I like the polyurethane kits that wingswest make, I had a front wingswest lip for my integra that went through hell and never broke. I tried a search for gs300 front lips, I need some links thanks
Old 02-08-10, 06:32 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have the materials and capability to do this? I know a guy who made all of his body panels out of Carbon Fiber for his racecar, and it's a huge PITA unless you do it all the time and have the resources and patience to do it.

Not saying you shouldn't at all. It's just easy to get in over your head with this kind of thing where in the long run you wish you would've just bought one....I've been there..
Old 02-08-10, 06:58 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Lip or whole bumper? All the L-Tuned parts and JP parts are Poly, iirc.
Old 02-08-10, 07:44 PM
speedlabx
Rookie

i want a front lip in polyurethane other then the TTE or Vizage, the greddy lip is junk polyurethane brittle abs plastic,
Old 02-08-10, 07:49 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

JP I believe is fiberglass. Pretty much all the Japanese legit body kits are made of fiberglass. My Vertex kit is fiber as well.
Old 02-08-10, 08:13 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

yea most real JDM kits are FRP... kits made here are usually Poly like the L-tuned sportline and i think RMM is poly as well.
Old 02-09-10, 09:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
yea most real JDM kits are FRP... kits made here are usually Poly.
kinda off topic....why is that?
Old 02-09-10, 10:53 AM
speedlabx
Rookie

how much would it cost to make a polyurethane front lip from a fiberglass TTE copy from visracing. oops sorry i meant buy any fiberglass lip and get it remade in polyurethane maybe i should call wingswest.
Old 02-09-10, 10:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedlabx
how much would it cost to make a polyurethane front lip from a fiberglass TTE copy from visracing. oops sorry i meant buy any fiberglass lip and get it remade in polyurethane maybe i should call wingswest.
doubtful WW will make a copy or even just one piece but its worth the time if you got it
Old 08-29-10, 10:13 AM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
kinda off topic....why is that?
I think because the fiberglass kits are lighter and more aerodynamic as compared to the poly kits which are more heavier... Kits were more used on racecars prior to now as to which they are commonly used for good looks (as in my case)

Thats my .02, anyone else care to chime in? I know I probably answered off topic B... my bad if I did!
Old 08-29-10, 10:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The shape of the mold determines aerodynamics, not the material.

The only real reason I could think of is....cost cutting.

When I use to make molds, fiberglass would cost a fifth of what polyurethane would for the same project.
Old 08-30-10, 01:25 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rich23
I think because the fiberglass kits are lighter and more aerodynamic as compared to the poly kits which are more heavier... Kits were more used on racecars prior to now as to which they are commonly used for good looks (as in my case)

Thats my .02, anyone else care to chime in? I know I probably answered off topic B... my bad if I did!
no rich its fine, although i asked bout that almost 7 months ago lol

Originally Posted by GSteg
The shape of the mold determines aerodynamics, not the material.

The only real reason I could think of is....cost cutting.

When I use to make molds, fiberglass would cost a fifth of what polyurethane would for the same project.
yeah thats what i was assuming, the cost. although with the quality these companies act like they are all about, you would think they would make a better quality kit....ie POLY

i was always perplexed by JP,vertex, and other big names and such wanting/making such a expensive kit in fiberglass
Old 08-30-10, 07:28 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can make a lip poly, but it gonna cost you. to make a stamp alone for any lip is gonna cost you big bucks, so unless your making massive bulk, its not worth it.
Old 08-31-10, 06:49 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Isn't the Greddy front lip also poly? Also iirc, RMM kit, Vertex kit and L-Sportline kit (if you can find one) are also poly...
Old 08-31-10, 09:28 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Isn't the Greddy front lip also poly? Also iirc, RMM kit, Vertex kit and L-Sportline kit (if you can find one) are also poly...
Greddy lips i believe are plastic?? (at least my brothers prelude greddy lip is)
RMM + Lsportline are poly (i has lsportline)
Vertex is FRP.

Quick Reply: Polyurethane ?