GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Possible Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 08:28 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that you mention the windsheild its got me thinking. The bigger rubber part in the corner near the hood/fender windsheild meeting area got stuck to ice, not this winter but last winter and it pulled away at that hunk of rubber. I found out the body ecu we are all talking about is behind the fuse in the drivers' kick panel. Is it possible that water after heavy heavy rain is leaking in from that area and making it's way down there?

I'm going to investiage more into that seal on thursday when I'm off.
Old 03-16-10, 09:23 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...blem-help.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-circuit.html

Another thread of reference. I guess I will check both kick panels now on thursday.

Last edited by Rippaflow; 03-16-10 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 09:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Everything that Curry mentioned is what I experienced and it was heavy rain for last 4 days. Didn't start doing this until midway day 2. My car did substain some front end damage when it had 10K miles on it, which was 110K ago lol...Windsheild is factory glass, but don't know if it was replaced in that original collision with OEM. Everything is working perfectly fine today. Im going to dig into my panels on thursday. Is this ECU located in the passenger door? Im looking to insulate the ECU from the elements. Maybe even extend wires and relocate it into the glove. Whatever needs to be done. Im not going to spend 379 on a new computer to have it get wet again.
does the windshield say lexus on it in the corner or another brand? ecu is in the kickpanel on passenger side. relocating it might be ok but that's ALOT of wires

Now that you mention the windshield its got me thinking. The bigger rubber part in the corner near the hood/fender windsheild meeting area got stuck to ice, not this winter but last winter and it pulled away at that hunk of rubber. I found out the body ecu we are all talking about is behind the fuse in the drivers' kick panel. Is it possible that water after heavy heavy rain is leaking in from that area and making it's way down there?

I'm going to investiage more into that seal on thursday when I'm off.
yeah, its def possible and i think this is whats actually happening. although i have NEVER had a wet carpet, when i ran my NAV override and peeled up the carpet, i did notice the rear passenger side was wet but never noticed the front to be wet. there was a post a member did bout a DIY on how to replace the drain vents but i cant seen to find it...i wanna check for reference on something

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...blem-help.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-circuit.html

Another thread of reference. I guess I will check both kick panels now on thursday.
interesting....i really thought i was the only one with this as noone really ever mentioned it. u noticed OP has gone AWOL since this started
Old 03-18-10, 12:42 AM
ydjy
Rookie

my guess is that removing MPX-B fuse should have the same effect. Will check it later.
Old 03-18-10, 07:17 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Yeah I got factory glass with Lexus on it. I'm saying my car had only 10,000 miles on it and in was in early 02 (this is a 01). I'm saying that it could have been replaced with new lexus glass if it was considering that it would of been worth around 35-45K at that time (the car). My windsheild has some light pitting so it was either replaced or was replaced very early in it's life. No one ever sits in the back in my car, so I would never know about the back floor unless personally going back there. But when I clean the car, it's never been wet. I haven't cleaned it in a while, but dealer's have vaccumed it out when it's been in for work (since I tell them not to touch the outside). Im going to start hunting around the car today. Everything works fine. I've noticed my auto tilt didn't work before but I'd always put the key back in and it would work fine after I took it out slower. But I noticed when the wheel didn't go up, the alarm didn't work. So, this has probably been going on for well over a year now, though I didn't experience lasting symptoms until just now. Which even in itself was only for 1 day.
Old 03-18-10, 07:25 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

sakataj check out the last 2 posts on this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vy-rain-2.html
Old 03-18-10, 09:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydjy
my guess is that removing MPX-B fuse should have the same effect. Will check it later.
what? seriously what u been talking bout this whole thread?

Yeah I got factory glass with Lexus on it. I'm saying my car had only 10,000 miles on it and in was in early 02 (this is a 01). I'm saying that it could have been replaced with new lexus glass if it was considering that it would of been worth around 35-45K at that time (the car). My windsheild has some light pitting so it was either replaced or was replaced very early in it's life. No one ever sits in the back in my car, so I would never know about the back floor unless personally going back there. But when I clean the car, it's never been wet. I haven't cleaned it in a while, but dealer's have vaccumed it out when it's been in for work (since I tell them not to touch the outside). Im going to start hunting around the car today. Everything works fine. I've noticed my auto tilt didn't work before but I'd always put the key back in and it would work fine after I took it out slower. But I noticed when the wheel didn't go up, the alarm didn't work. So, this has probably been going on for well over a year now, though I didn't experience lasting symptoms until just now. Which even in itself was only for 1 day.
hmmmm

you know what.....im in that post lol but now that i think bout it when i FIRST bought my car it used to leak right above my steering wheel and still has a minor air leak at interstate speed. i used silicone on it but that didnt completely fix the air leak. guess im gonna end up replacing my windshield and hope that works

IF we could get OP to chime back in to see if his windshield is OEM. seems the installers suck
Old 03-18-10, 08:32 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got caught up with the thread...

I need to see if my windshield was ever replaced I doubt it was though.

We need to find a way to replicate the symptoms... then we can trace it.

We've had heavy rains the last couple days but nothing acted up when I started the car... hmm...
Old 03-21-10, 11:01 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Washed the car today and specifically sprayed alot of water in the front door, windshield area. Nothing happened. Everything still works fine. Have yet to find any residual water anywhere in my vehicle despite looking, even during the rain storm that caused the malfunction.

Last edited by Rippaflow; 03-21-10 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 11:21 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

To those who said they're gauge lights were too dim at night...try dealing with this crap like we have had to when this random bug happens....

First pic would be how it lucks during this malfunction and the second pic is how it is when it is when you turn your dimmer all the way down at night.. My seat belt is on, read the first post to understand why that light is on. VSC/ABS lights are on for front abs sensor.
Attached Thumbnails Possible Leak-1.jpg   Possible Leak-2.jpg  
Old 03-22-10, 07:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Curry
Just got caught up with the thread...

I need to see if my windshield was ever replaced I doubt it was though.

We need to find a way to replicate the symptoms... then we can trace it.

We've had heavy rains the last couple days but nothing acted up when I started the car... hmm...
all good and remember JUST cause it says lexus DOESNT mean your windshield wasnt replaced (some people do insist on OEM parts, wish whoever fixed mine had) was kinda wondering if you knew if it had

Washed the car today and specifically sprayed alot of water in the front door, windshield area. Nothing happened. Everything still works fine. Have yet to find any residual water anywhere in my vehicle despite looking, even during the rain storm that caused the malfunction.
i washed mine this weekend and didnt notice anything although truthfully i was checking for leaks after re-installing my sunroof assy. i will say this although i didnt notice anything from the windshield after washing....this has NEVER happened to me from light washing or light rain ONLY happened from HEAVY rain or a pressurized car wash (actually only 1 of the 2 i have ever used on it caused this)

To those who said they're gauge lights were too dim at night...try dealing with this crap like we have had to when this random bug happens....

First pic would be how it lucks during this malfunction and the second pic is how it is when it is when you turn your dimmer all the way down at night.. My seat belt is on, read the first post to understand why that light is on. VSC/ABS lights are on for front abs sensor.
wow, talk bout bright. i think im gonna bite the bullet and redo my windshield. gotta get prices on window and my tint again for it, gonna check with MDSC and see what kinda glass he used from this one u quoted earlier

Old 03-25-10, 03:04 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Ok well we had some pretty heavy rains a few days ago and some more rain yesterday. I started up the car and everything is working fine... Nothing was wet in the cabin at all...

Where do I look on the windshield to see the lexus/toyota logo?
Old 03-26-10, 08:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Ok well we had some pretty heavy rains a few days ago and some more rain yesterday. I started up the car and everything is working fine... Nothing was wet in the cabin at all...

Where do I look on the windshield to see the lexus/toyota logo?
i think its the lower right corner.....one of the corners should have it. rain isnt to bad on mine less its really bad, mine is that one particular carwash which i know i shouldnt be in anyways
Old 03-26-10, 08:54 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Oh well then mine was possibly changed because it doesnt say toyota or lexus... ill post the name when I look at it again.
Old 03-26-10, 10:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Oh well then mine was possibly changed because it doesnt say toyota or lexus... ill post the name when I look at it again.
man was changed... i know it was. plus all other windows say lexus on them.

ugh...looks like its awesome installers responsible for this

Quick Reply: Possible Leak