GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Possible Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 04:13 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had the problem today. Did not get a chance to pull the door. I know for a fact water is getting in because my driver side autoloc solenoid was rusted to hell. My pass side is perfectly fine.

I switched them and installed new AVS waterproof solenoids.

Conditions: overnight light rain... temps were in the low 60's
Old 05-20-10, 11:20 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

hmmm...since i added all my dynamat, i haven't seen/notice this issue. i didnt notice anything in the door but i will have to open it again soon to replace my actuator so i will look again. i really suspect its a incorrectly installed windshield to blame on mine.
Old 05-20-10, 03:45 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I would have to say the same for mine since the brand name on it is pitkin or some crap like that.

It has to be a driver side door issue for sure. Why else would the autoloc solenoid rust up.

lol. maybe I should dynamat my driver side door...
Old 05-20-10, 11:48 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Curry
I would have to say the same for mine since the brand name on it is pitkin or some crap like that.

It has to be a driver side door issue for sure. Why else would the autoloc solenoid rust up.

lol. maybe I should dynamat my driver side door...
yeah so yours, mine and this guys all was a crappy windshield install

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eavy-rain.html
Old 05-24-10, 06:04 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

ahhh I see... Sucks... I guess for now i'm going to see whats getting wet until I can get it changed.
Old 05-26-10, 10:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

as i said...since i did all the dynamat i havent noticed it but that major storm we had, my car was in the audio shop so i dunno for sure
Old 06-05-10, 10:14 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine hasn't done it since that one incident. Maybe its a molding around the bottom of the window that lets water in. I know when I had my window down at the drive thru for a brief moment during that heavy rain that's when it started up. I never roll down my windows in the rain anymore and I never have the problem. I also looked into the case file for my car and it is indeed the original windshield. Never replaced.
Old 06-23-10, 05:17 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Well I haven't seen the problem at all these last few weeks. I guess that because I sold the car =P

Yea its gone. Made the new owner aware of all outstanding issues and called it a day.
Old 06-25-10, 11:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Curry
Well I haven't seen the problem at all these last few weeks. I guess that because I sold the car =P

Yea its gone. Made the new owner aware of all outstanding issues and called it a day.
did you sell the car because of this?
Old 06-25-10, 02:33 PM
gzhottt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GS400 car has tantrums when it rains also...I think it’s all the water coming down the windshield and some of that water leaks under windshields and specially though corners that’s causing water to penetrate wiring under the dash.. that’s the culprit in my opinion that’s messing with our electrical system. It’s not big deal in my case because it barely rains in socal….in any case let us know if someone figures this out.
Old 06-25-10, 09:52 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
did you sell the car because of this?
Nah there were lots of other things that bothered me and that no door handle thing is a pain in the *** for a daily. He seems to like it so He said he's going to get the windshield done again most likely at the dealer. I told him to let me know if it fixes the problem.

Problems with the car that recently happened:

-rack and pinion needed replacing
-front suspension still causing issues
-front rotors warped
-vibration even after changing parts and replacing bushings
-Steering rack bushing needed replacing
-horrible mpg (9mpg) even after fuel treatment and replace plugs also got alignment done

Should i go on?

Meanwhile I picked up one of these pretty cheap, but made sure there was no fixing involved and its got door handles!

Last edited by Curry; 06-25-10 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 10:46 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bringing a thread back from the dead.

a couple days of heavy rain, and i got the same problem.

i noticed today my door locks didnt work after work. then i noticed just now my foot well lights dont turn on, my center dome light doesnt turn on. windows dont roll down via the driver front main control. and the strangest thing, thing ive wanted for, for the longest time, my climate control to display in celcius, but guess what, my blower doesnt work! seems like catestrophic failure!

for now, im reseting the ecu, hope that fixes something.

i pulled a bunch of fuses out to check for blown fuses, but nothing.
Old 09-28-11, 08:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
bringing a thread back from the dead.

a couple days of heavy rain, and i got the same problem.

i noticed today my door locks didnt work after work. then i noticed just now my foot well lights dont turn on, my center dome light doesnt turn on. windows dont roll down via the driver front main control. and the strangest thing, thing ive wanted for, for the longest time, my climate control to display in celcius, but guess what, my blower doesnt work! seems like catestrophic failure!

for now, im reseting the ecu, hope that fixes something.

i pulled a bunch of fuses out to check for blown fuses, but nothing.
has your windshield EVER been replaced?

since i dynamatted my doors, this has NEVER happened to me since. so something def was leaking either through the doors onto the door ecus or from the windshield that was replaced but since i did nothing to the windshield i would say its 99.9% coming from the doors, ALTHOUGH my carpet was replaced with OEM carpet so maybe they moved something when installing it and the place it was leaking on doesnt hit there anymore. i dunno.i never did notice any rust or anything when i dynamatted my doors so i dunno where it is coming from

per the other thread i see letting it dry out fixed it so you have a leak also....wait till it rains and then freezes, i had to take my car into my heated warehouse and let it "thaw" out before it would work again

Last edited by sakataj; 09-28-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-28-11, 09:46 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i bought the car used, i believe the windshield has been replaced before because there's no toyota stamp on the windshield.

the commonality between all of us with this issue?
Old 09-28-11, 12:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
i bought the car used, i believe the windshield has been replaced before because there's no toyota stamp on the windshield.

the commonality between all of us with this issue?
it seems to be....i was wondering why if i NEVER did anything to the dash it might not be leaking anymore but now its starting to make sense. when that chunk of concrete punched a hole in my floor and they had to reweld my floorboard i wonder if the added insulation they did underneath my car plugged a hole that could have possibly been letting water in.....either way no more issues for me since doing those, or knock on wood no issues to date

Quick Reply: Possible Leak