GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 01-06-15, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Steering Wheel annoying Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 12:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
There is a cover on the floor held be a nut that needs to be removed if greasing, and then 6 inches above the floor is a linkage, which I did grease already.

I'd need to find the time to carefully remove the cover on the floor and take a look
the cover on the floor (if memory serves me correctly....) is just to hide the exposed steering shaft from coming into the car.

the linkage that is 6" above that is the main issue but i DID spray some white lithuim grease into the cover at the entrance point into the car also. so did you grease the linkage and still having a squeaking issue?

Glad you know how to answer without sarcasm each and every time, but yet your responses are useful, so tolerable.
im assuming this is sarcasm but regardless of what you think and the fact that you reported me last time, i DID try and help you and was polite with you (like im attempting to be here) for almost a week before i EVER said anything rude or sarcastic to you
Old 11-02-11, 12:45 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guess we both don't know what that 'linkage' is called (yes, we can search) that we both greased, but my noise is not consistent, it comes and goes, I think in hotter weather.

I do not hear it now, and will wait till I hear it again, which may be Spring, before removing the cover on the floor, so I suppose this way we can be sure where the noise is originating, if one or both - thoughts?
Old 11-02-11, 12:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

guess we both don't know what that 'linkage' is called (yes, we can search) that we both greased, but my noise is not consistent, it comes and goes, I think in hotter weather.

I do not hear it now, and will wait till I hear it again, which may be Spring, before removing the cover on the floor, so I suppose this way we can be sure where the noise is originating, if one or both - thoughts?
i would assume its just called the steering shaft linkage or something similar..

take a picture of where your talking about, is this the ONLY place you have greased?
Old 11-02-11, 01:17 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i would assume its just called the steering shaft linkage or something similar..

take a picture of where your talking about, is this the ONLY place you have greased?
see the white grease in this pic, yes the only place white lithium grease, I didn't take the boot off at the bottom - I regret not buying the 'spray' version
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel annoying Squeaking-steering-shaft-greased.jpg  
Old 11-02-11, 02:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I need to do this soon. I will be the first to say thanks Brian for pointing this out.
Old 11-02-11, 02:10 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

see the white grease in this pic, yes the only place white lithium grease, I didn't take the boot off at the bottom - I regret not buying the 'spray' version
oh ok i gotcha....no need to take it off, just get some of the white lithium spray and it will soak down into there when you were talking about the boot cover earlier, i was going from memory and thinking you meant the bottom part where my screw in clamp is at in my pic below not the bottom of this coupler or linkage

as you can see from my pic i went overboard on the spray but thats ok as i have no squeaks now...

Name:  dd170b12.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  88.9 KB

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I need to do this soon. I will be the first to say thanks Brian for pointing this out.

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR,IM NOT SAYING THIS IS A 100% FIX, YOU CAN STILL HAVE NOISES THAT THIS WONT FIX.....i recommend when you do this you do your power steering gears and around the wheel THAT should fix all the issues theoretically

john, stop brown nosing....we already "friends" on here lol.BTW i didnt point this out, i had previously and privately addressed this issue (just never shared) a pic/video i made about it,OP brought it back to attention and i finally posted my info now its being rebumped and reshared for people to see and use (isnt this the whole concept of the forum at its best )

anyone notice in post # 11 i had OEM tan carpet and in this post, i have OEM black carpet now

Last edited by sakataj; 11-02-11 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 07:19 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's the bushings. Only bushings would make those squeaking noises. Now does the white lithium grease spray smells?