GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Latest Nav Modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 10:29 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by audax
Excellent information. I have my eye on a few used Prius nav ECUs just so I can swap it and use the Coastal Tech "LockPick" device to always enable the override mode.
yeah those are the easiest/cheapest to get them from is the prius,not familiar with coastal tech. im sure its the same thing. im trying to sell that 8.1 disc for bout a $100 if u interested its not the newest but its only 2 years old and half the cost of a new one

...im sore now with my car and all the electronics stuff i did this weekend and the problems im having so i dont really feel like talking for once....im just annoyed. this was a lousy weekend for me when it came to my car. OH and no it had nothing to do with this....my"issue" is something else that is stupid but annoying
Old 11-28-10, 10:43 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah those are the easiest/cheapest to get them from is the prius,not familiar with coastal tech. im sure its the same thing. im trying to sell that 8.1 disc for bout a $100 if u interested its not the newest but its only 2 years old and half the cost of a new one
I've already sourced a hybrid 8.1 disc so that the override still functions completely.

FYI, Coastal Electronic Tech LockPick for the Prius: http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick2.htm

I mainly like that it adds the rearview camera input. I already have a camera installed in the trunk key hole, but my current video switcher is a bit flaky at times.

Good luck on the other issues. I know annoying those electronics gremlins can be at times.
Old 11-29-10, 01:49 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

MAN! Thats some mighty fine work on that ashtray.
Old 11-29-10, 07:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by audax
I've already sourced a hybrid 8.1 disc so that the override still functions completely.

FYI, Coastal Electronic Tech LockPick for the Prius: http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick2.htm

I mainly like that it adds the rearview camera input. I already have a camera installed in the trunk key hole, but my current video switcher is a bit flaky at times.

Good luck on the other issues. I know annoying those electronics gremlins can be at times.
oh i have seen that, ok thanks.

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
MAN! Thats some mighty fine work on that ashtray.
yes, yes it is. you did a great job on it, thanks again Nathaniel. i actually installed it this weekend...

UNFORTUNATELY this is where my headache came from AND NO IT WASN'T FROM HOW YOU DID THE ASHTRAY OR ANYTHING, it was MY mistake when installing this has turned into a electrical nightmare for me. not to mention that the length of the bass controller really is a hindrance to this, i cut the back of the ashtray,the consoles black part, and the support arm for the center console underneath JUST to get it in with that plug in there. getting this in and out easily with that plug really isnt feasible so i maybe scrapping this again and re-designing it yet again. got any ideas?
Old 11-29-10, 08:34 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

yes, yes it is. you did a great job on it, thanks again Nathaniel. i actually installed it this weekend...

UNFORTUNATELY this is where my headache came from AND NO IT WASN'T FROM HOW YOU DID THE ASHTRAY OR ANYTHING, it was MY mistake when installing this has turned into a electrical nightmare for me. not to mention that the length of the bass controller really is a hindrance to this, i cut the back of the ashtray,the consoles black part, and the support arm for the center console underneath JUST to get it in with that plug in there. getting this in and out easily with that plug really isnt feasible so i maybe scrapping this again and re-designing it yet again. got any ideas?
2 Ideas. One we spoke of which is hard wiring the **** and removing the male side of the plug. I'm willing to put the pink on my GS on it that its just 2 wires that can be soldered to it, it would be my first time doing that. If that is done, all your headaches would be gone.

the second idea is redoing the tray and moving the **** upward to where its not centered with the the other buttons, that should give you enough clearance.

I'd shoot with the first idea. Its just a matter of using a multimeter with the 'beep' function to see which soldered leg goes to which wire. Once each wire is located, cut the plug and solder away. this will give you routing freedom for the wire to go anywhere it needs.
Old 11-29-10, 09:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
2 Ideas. One we spoke of which is hard wiring the **** and removing the male side of the plug. I'm willing to put the pink on my GS on it that its just 2 wires that can be soldered to it, it would be my first time doing that. If that is done, all your headaches would be gone.

the second idea is redoing the tray and moving the **** upward to where its not centered with the the other buttons, that should give you enough clearance.

I'd shoot with the first idea. Its just a matter of using a multimeter with the 'beep' function to see which soldered leg goes to which wire. Once each wire is located, cut the plug and solder away. this will give you routing freedom for the wire to go anywhere it needs.

im to frustrated to even PM you bout it right now nathaniel...but we'll talk bout it soon

first idea is what i suggested awhile ago, we shoulda done this though in hindsight.well this should fix my mounting headaches not my other ones.. i also have a request for round 3 (yeah remember i had one done before your first one) well 2 actually but we'll talk bout them l8r....im to lazy to even try anything else today but i will get motivated tomorrow. i HATE the locations of our fuse boxes btw, not really comfortable for a fat guy to get to.

i'll post up some pictures of it when i get a min though

Last edited by sakataj; 11-29-10 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-06-11, 01:58 PM
redlinezak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure if there are going to be too many differences in the UK navbut i was wondering if you could clear a couple of things up for me please.
I have a UK model GS430 with DVD Nav (standard Lexus not ML).
How do i tell what version it is? The unit itself is the same visually as your one sakataj although the on screen display is different.
Secondly what vehicle models have compatible NAV ecu's that are plug n play.
Thirdly would i lose any of the functions that i currently have with my Navi system? MPG, AVE speed , settings etc.
Lastly. Does the latest NAV ECU give you an AUX video input and does it support CD TEXT (want to add a Vaistech to it also).

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers

Nath
Old 03-06-11, 04:35 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude you are genious like with this stuff.
Old 03-06-11, 06:27 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

as usual DETAILED write up...mad props..
Old 03-07-11, 09:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by redlinezak
Im not sure if there are going to be too many differences in the UK navbut i was wondering if you could clear a couple of things up for me please.
I have a UK model GS430 with DVD Nav (standard Lexus not ML).
How do i tell what version it is? The unit itself is the same visually as your one sakataj although the on screen display is different.
Secondly what vehicle models have compatible NAV ecu's that are plug n play.
Thirdly would i lose any of the functions that i currently have with my Navi system? MPG, AVE speed , settings etc.
Lastly. Does the latest NAV ECU give you an AUX video input and does it support CD TEXT (want to add a Vaistech to it also).

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers

Nath
i was actually always jealous of you'lls u can play a DVD through the factory NAV screen OEM as you'll have a built in DVD player right?
get a part # off it from the NAV ECU in the trunk to tell which version you have....i suspect you have a gen 2/3 since our display is different
as for compatible versions, search this thread and READ it please not just skim it and ask a ?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...direction.html

i dont think it gives me a aux input but i think the navtool im using does

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...interface.html

Originally Posted by D-Boi
dude you are genious like with this stuff.
i had help from a few key CL members....even with this unit plus i do ALOT of my legwork and research before i even mention anything. this unit was custom designed by a member for himself and me but can easily be replicated for anyone with a gen 4 unit. i was originally trying to incorporate a OEM 2008 gx470 dvd player into the glovebox to retain a 6 disc cd changer and a factory dvd player in one unit utilizing a custom harness to connect the OEM GS430 dvd changer plug with this but i never could secure one. i searched for a full year before i changed the setup in my car

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...d-changer.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx4...d-changer.html

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
as usual DETAILED write up...mad props..
thanks man, i try
Old 03-07-11, 10:32 AM
redlinezak
Rookie

i was actually always jealous of you'lls u can play a DVD through the factory NAV screen OEM as you'll have a built in DVD player right?
No Factory DVD here im afraid. Have a 6CD changer in the glovebox and tape in the dash. DVD ROM NAV ECU is in the right corner of the boot (trunk)
Old 03-07-11, 10:46 AM
redlinezak
Rookie

Thanks for the info about compatibility sakataj.
Looks like i know what im on the lookout for now.

Cheers

Nath
Old 03-07-11, 12:11 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

No Factory DVD here im afraid. Have a 6CD changer in the glovebox and tape in the dash. DVD ROM NAV ECU is in the right corner of the boot (trunk)
the one in the trunk is the nav ecu doesnt yours have the function to play dvd's through the glovebox cd player or can you actually load a dvd in the trunk and play it? on your screen in i think the upper right corner isnt there a button that actually says DVD?

Cheers

Nath
your welcome
Old 03-12-11, 11:31 AM
redlinezak
Rookie

No DVD icon im afraid and im fairly certain that the DVD ROM ECU wont play regular DVD's and even if it did i doubt if i could control them. Also the CD changer is CD only and not DVD.

Cheers

Nath
Old 03-12-11, 11:44 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Cheers

Nath
If I remember correctly, after this was done, an easier plug and play unit was created.

Quick Reply: My Latest Nav Modification