GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new key...flip style

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 06:04 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, guys just a note for everyone who ordered one of these keys. I went to my local dealership to get the key cut and at first the service rep. gave me some BS on how they won't cut it unless I bought a original key from them...

So I took the key to parts department and they didn't ask any questions on it all, they all thought it was pretty cool and asked me how much, where I got it, etc. While he was cutting the key the soft metal on it just warped, I was standing right there watching it too. The back side got cut fine, but the front just warped under the pressure of the drill bit.

So my key is no destroyed and the dealerships machine almost got damaged

So just a FYI for everyone, the metal on this key is not like the original Lexus metal, it's cheap and extremely soft. The dealership was kind enough to offer me a original key for $30 after this one got destroyed, even though it's not their fault.

Some pics of the aftermath:

Old 03-08-10, 06:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by habeeb89
ok, guys just a note for everyone who ordered one of these keys. I went to my local dealership to get the key cut and at first the service rep. gave me some BS on how they won't cut it unless I bought a original key from them...

So I took the key to parts department and they didn't ask any questions on it all, they all thought it was pretty cool and asked me how much, where I got it, etc. While he was cutting the key the soft metal on it just warped, I was standing right there watching it too. The back side got cut fine, but the front just warped under the pressure of the drill bit.

So just a FYI for everyone, the metal on this key is not like the original Lexus metal, it's cheap and extremely soft. The dealership was kind enough to offer me a original key for $30 after this one got destroyed, even though it's not their fault.

that sucks, glad they hooked you up with a key though. although some members have already had their keys cut so maybe this was just a fluke? im going to get mine cut tomorrow so i will know first hand then.
Old 03-08-10, 06:41 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Read my post on the first few pages of this thread. The Lexus dealer messed up my flip key that I bought a year ago
Old 03-08-10, 09:37 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is working like a charm. thanks to CleanGS4 for setting up the locksmith and sharing the destination charge with me.
Old 03-08-10, 09:43 PM
CleanGS4
Pole Position

No problem man! mine works like charm also! got it to work in glove box now just alil rough when it was just cut. if anyone in atlanta that need a locksmith that will cut it call me and i'll give you the number!
Old 03-09-10, 10:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

well, habeeb89 and cpmd.....i just got back from the dealer and i may have the reason your key got fubared. they cut mine for 25 no problems....or so i thought. i wondered why it was taking to so long and then the guy asked me to come back there. apparantally the clamps wont hold the key in when he's cutting the back side of the key. they cut the front of mine with no issues but he said and showed me that the clamps wouldnt hold if they tried to cut the back and that as soon as the machine touched the back it would shoot off. i wonder if this is what happened to you'lls? so im stuck with a key that IS cut on the front side but IS NOT cut on the back side. im stuck right now, i called tony to see if his guy in GA can/will finish my cut as i have my key code but i dunno what to do right now

(crappy iphone pics as i dont have my camera with me at work)

Old 03-09-10, 11:30 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Hey Brian, my key was cut on both sides, twice, by the moron at the lexus dealer. At first I was excited b/c I thought it would work, I went to my car in the parking lot, and it didn't work. I told him to re-cut the key, still no go. He was being ***** about my key being aftermarket and how they wouldn't cut the key, then I pointed out all the "aftermarket" stuff they were selling in their lobby. That shut the guy up.

Originally Posted by sakataj
well, habeeb89 and cpmd.....i just got back from the dealer and i may have the reason your key got fubared. they cut mine for 25 no problems....or so i thought. i wondered why it was taking to so long and then the guy asked me to come back there. apparantally the clamps wont hold the key in when he's cutting the back side of the key. they cut the front of mine with no issues but he said and showed me that the clamps wouldnt hold if they tried to cut the back and that as soon as the machine touched the back it would shoot off. i wonder if this is what happened to you'lls? so im stuck with a key that IS cut on the front side but IS NOT cut on the back side. im stuck right now, i called tony to see if his guy in GA can/will finish my cut as i have my key code but i dunno what to do right now

(crappy iphone pics as i dont have my camera with me at work)

Old 03-09-10, 11:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpmd
Hey Brian, my key was cut on both sides, twice, by the moron at the lexus dealer. At first I was excited b/c I thought it would work, I went to my car in the parking lot, and it didn't work. I told him to re-cut the key, still no go. He was being ***** about my key being aftermarket and how they wouldn't cut the key, then I pointed out all the "aftermarket" stuff they were selling in their lobby. That shut the guy up.
he was trying to cut my key on the back....it wouldn't stay in the clamps. as soon as you put any kinda pressure on it, it came loose so had he actually tried to cut it, it would have either flown out or moved while it was cut thus damaging it (i personally went back there and he showed me this). yeah my normal guy was out to lunch and this guy tried to give me **** bout it being a non oem key but eventually when i wouldn't budge he charged me for it cut it and then since it wouldn't cut he refunded me the $25 bones he had originally charged me. like i said, now im stuck with a half cut key and scrambling to find a solution
Old 03-09-10, 11:40 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Tell the guy that you know at that place what happened, see if he can help. Was this at a lexus dealer? At least they refunded your money back. I had to raise h*ll for a refund.

he was trying to cut my key on the back....it wouldn't stay in the clamps. as soon as you put any kinda pressure on it, it came loose so had he actually tried to cut it, it would have either flown out or moved while it was cut thus damaging it (i personally went back there and he showed me this). yeah my normal guy was out to lunch and this guy tried to give me **** bout it being a non oem key but eventually when i wouldn't budge he charged me for it cut it and then since it wouldn't cut he refunded me the $25 bones he had originally charged me. like i said, now im stuck with a half cut key and scrambling to find a solution
Old 03-09-10, 12:55 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Tell the guy that you know at that place what happened, see if he can help. Was this at a lexus dealer? At least they refunded your money back. I had to raise h*ll for a refund.
i will try and talk to him, but if it wont clamp, it wont clamp. not like he just told me this and expected to believe me, he did show it to me. yes it was at a lexus dealership....lexus of memphis. which normally is a for me but kirk always treats me right and this guy did to, i didnt even have to ask for my refund, he just gave it to me.
Old 03-09-10, 01:11 PM
CPMD
Advanced

i will try and talk to him, but if it wont clamp, it wont clamp. not like he just told me this and expected to believe me, he did show it to me. yes it was at a lexus dealership....lexus of memphis. which normally is a for me but kirk always treats me right and this guy did to, i didnt even have to ask for my refund, he just gave it to me.
That's cool, I guess different dealers have different type of key cutting machines. Although Metro Lexus (Cleveland) cut both sides of the key, a year ago, the key didn't work, then surprised me with "since it's an aftermarket key, no refunds". Which goes to show you not all stealerships are created equal. Keep us updated on the situation
Old 03-09-10, 03:48 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, the key is a really awkward shape, I really can't blame the dealership on destroying the key. The key blade is so soft!
Old 03-09-10, 07:14 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i called tony to see if his guy in GA can/will finish my cut as i have my key code but i dunno what to do right now
CleanGS4 setup the whole locksmith thing. It was very fast and simple. It only took him like 2 mins per side per key. PM him for details man. It was like $43 per key to cut it including the locksmith fee but we got a deal because we shared his destination charge.

He used a machine like this to cut it and it held the fob in just fine.

I didn't need mine to be shortened down but CleanGS4 got his cut down with a hacksaw. Locksmith took care of that no problem.
Old 03-10-10, 08:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

That's cool, I guess different dealers have different type of key cutting machines. Although Metro Lexus (Cleveland) cut both sides of the key, a year ago, the key didn't work, then surprised me with "since it's an aftermarket key, no refunds". Which goes to show you not all stealerships are created equal. Keep us updated on the situation
yeah i wouldnt think they would, but i guess they could have different machines

Yeah, the key is a really awkward shape, I really can't blame the dealership on destroying the key. The key blade is so soft!
i know i had to take it out of the flip case although so far mines not totalled

Originally Posted by carbongs
CleanGS4 setup the whole locksmith thing. It was very fast and simple. It only took him like 2 mins per side per key. PM him for details man. It was like $43 per key to cut it including the locksmith fee but we got a deal because we shared his destination charge.

He used a machine like this to cut it and it held the fob in just fine.

I didn't need mine to be shortened down but CleanGS4 got his cut down with a hacksaw. Locksmith took care of that no problem.

hmmm tony mine wouldnt even hold the fob in, i had to take the key out of the fob. mine used a machine more like this.....(although it had a fancy electrical programming device on the front)

http://jeffslocksmiths.com/images/la...tter_front.jpg
http://americankeysupply.com/images/machine_3dpro3.jpg

maybe thats why mine wouldnt hold. if you look at your's it has 2 clamps (the red ***** on the side) one on each side, MINE only had one....on the right side

EDIT: JUST REALIZED SOMETHING, the "clamps" are to hold 2 seperate keys arent they? so maybe yours used one "clamp" also

i will PM him thanks tony

Last edited by sakataj; 03-10-10 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 09:05 AM
CleanGS4
Pole Position

hey guys mine work good but mine was shorten because i don't have auto start like carbong(tony) so the key had to be short enough for the tranponder to be detected. i have the number of the guys to cut the key but only good for people in GA. the person is mobile so he will drive around GA for a fee. to cut is like 20 bucks but i don't know how much he will charge depends on how far he have to drive i guess.

you guys can try i hope it help you guys. yeah lexus dealers to cut this key isn't that great.

number for this company is 404-634-8532 (Mobile locksmith)

Quick Reply: new key...flip style