GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new key...flip style

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 04:16 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7DOOBIE7
I can't believe i waited 16 pages to finally respond to this..

It's a effin key people!! I can not understand why so much importance has been discussed on this. More negatives than plusses (IMHO) but people keep trying to justify it's usefulness.

Dudes seriously! Your car is either 11 to 5 years old and the frigging key is the last of your worries. As long as it starts is good enough for me. Why "mod" something that is soo trivial as a damn eBay key ring?..

Just had to vent on how irrelevant this thread has become..

let the flaming begin..
Originally Posted by lexusondubs
for the same reason you say hellaoffsets fail lol
truth everyone like different things and to have a thread this long just means there is a lot of interests. there are plenty of mods that can be trivial or meaningless but they will mean something and serve a purpose for someone. but that is the joy of the interwebs. people are entitled to their opinion. i love my flip key haha but i think it is ok if you don't like it. you don't have to do this mod. it is something different. human nature to want something you don't have. our cars didn't come with a flip style key and a lot of people, apparently, enjoy that style key. this key, whether you purchase from a custom key shop, a locksmith, or ebay, gives us the ability to make our key mimic the flip style key.

the same can be said about aftermarket replica wheels, replica parts, etc... this is basically a replica key.
Old 06-09-10, 07:50 AM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7DOOBIE7
I can't believe i waited 16 pages to finally respond to this..

It's a effin key people!! I can not understand why so much importance has been discussed on this. More negatives than plusses (IMHO) but people keep trying to justify it's usefulness.

Dudes seriously! Your car is either 11 to 5 years old and the frigging key is the last of your worries. As long as it starts is good enough for me. Why "mod" something that is soo trivial as a damn eBay key ring?..

Just had to vent on how irrelevant this thread has become..

let the flaming begin..

So close the thread and move on with your life...SIMPLE
Old 06-09-10, 08:10 AM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

This kids is why you dont drink a 40oz of Bud Light and 5 screwdrivers and post on forums. hahaha. Had a stressful day and decided to have a few drinks with the old lady at a friend's house. I don't even remember posting this. I remember us talking about it but whatever it doesn't matter. Gotta laugh at yourself once in awhile

This is why i am eating a bowl of hot Ramen at my desk right now with a raging headache

Still not fully understanding this quote though

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
for the same reason you say hellaoffsets fail lol
I wrote "stock AKA offsets are hella fail" cause some kid said that to me at the tire store and i laughed. Friggin teenage civic drivers are hilarious sometimes..

N E ways: the post was a random thought in my head and i hope i didn't offend anyone. So have fun and keep rockin those flippity things if thats your steez. peace
Old 10-28-10, 10:25 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry people i had to bump this topic back ....

How the heck to put the little spring back ??? just got mine from ebay, Hongkong seller, then opened it up and can't put it back because that damn spring

anyone in SoCal ( around Fullerton/Westminster/Garden Grove ) know where to get the key cut ?
Old 10-29-10, 07:13 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Anybody get this version?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300439781931
Old 11-04-10, 09:54 AM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

masboy, sorry can't help you.

darknight, that looks good too!
Old 11-04-10, 10:50 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

No, but I wish I had picked that one up. I might down the road.
Old 11-05-10, 04:24 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Why would someone want a Cayenne shaped key for their Lexus?

I've already got one of those bulky things on my keyring...don't need another.
Old 11-05-10, 06:32 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masboy

How the heck to put the little spring back ??? just got mine from ebay, Hongkong seller, then opened it up and can't put it back because that damn spring

anyone in SoCal ( around Fullerton/Westminster/Garden Grove ) know where to get the key cut ?
Kevin I can help you re-assemble it; there's a place in Torrance that can cut it for 30 bucks lmk..every place I tried said no but they said yes here. A few peeps have gotten it done here before including myself.
Old 11-05-10, 08:27 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAZE
^^^From his old key assembly ( key and transponder). Buy the new flip style case with a blank key, switch out the guts ( transponder) into the new flip key. Then go get the key blade cut to match your car. Done
Sort of a different topic, but.. I only got ONE key with my GS when I bought it. What would you recommend the buy place to buy ANOTHER "transponder" key is ? (or just transponder- and I could install it in one of these types of 'switch blade' keys!)

Ebay the best bet? And then- how much does the dealer charge to program a transponder ? (will one from any 98-05 year be able to be reprogrammed to work on my '01 GS430?)

Ha- having only key makes me nervous!! (if I lose it or something- I will have NO CAR!) haha
Old 11-05-10, 07:24 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

masboy i can help you with the spring on the key. i ahd same problem but then sat there firguring it out. i ebt yours is loose and wont flip =P
Old 11-06-10, 09:09 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Why would someone want a Cayenne shaped key for their Lexus?

I've already got one of those bulky things on my keyring...don't need another.
The Cayenne style fob appears to be smaller than the switchblade (boxy) one that ebay has for the GS
Old 11-06-10, 09:26 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by masboy

You have to "wind-up" the spring with the key part before closing the case. (like a garage door spring)

This gives the spring the tension needed to make it "flip" out when you press the button
Old 11-13-10, 10:06 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Okie i gog my flip key a few days ago. One thing I noticed was the grooves on the top and bottom of the key is alot wider then my oem key. 2nd my new doesn't even go into my ignition bc of those wide grooves. I called my friend at Lexus and he said even blank keys should go into the ignition but mine don't. Anyone else had trouble with this? I also bought this key from hong kong ...
Old 01-02-11, 08:25 PM
systemover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by handoverfi
Okie i gog my flip key a few days ago. One thing I noticed was the grooves on the top and bottom of the key is alot wider then my oem key. 2nd my new doesn't even go into my ignition bc of those wide grooves. I called my friend at Lexus and he said even blank keys should go into the ignition but mine don't. Anyone else had trouble with this? I also bought this key from hong kong ...

laser cut keys have to be cut first no blank laser key will go in. older style keys go in weather they are cut or not. your key which i bought from you works perfect after being cut.

Quick Reply: new key...flip style