GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new key...flip style

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 12:47 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you can't just use your stock transponder and your stock metal key in the new casing? There is no way to fit the shorter stock key in the new case? Cutting the switch blade key that comes with the new case is the only alternative?
Old 02-27-10, 06:38 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
so you can't just use your stock transponder and your stock metal key in the new casing? There is no way to fit the shorter stock key in the new case? Cutting the switch blade key that comes with the new case is the only alternative?
yes unless you can weld it somehow?
Old 02-27-10, 11:02 AM
j_version_
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ordered mine. now i need a new remote so ill have a spare key finally
Old 02-27-10, 01:22 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongs

Now I just have to find someone to cut the blade. The local dealership said they aren't going to cut a key that is not supplied by Lexus. Something about it possibly messing up their cutting machine. Stupid liabilities. They said try an automotive locksmith.
Yeah, I contacted FOUR Lexus dealers here on L.I. and NONE OF THEM will cut the key. So, I contacted several locksmiths and I found one in Western Suffolk County (L.I.) That would do it for $39 bucks...just to cut the key only (that's all I need anyway). It sucks though because I have to drive 25 miles to get there.
Old 02-27-10, 04:17 PM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

Still waiting on my key to arrive from nyc auto parts, i received tracking info last Friday, no updates at usps since the initial info.
Old 02-27-10, 04:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

How's the quality on these? I was looking at them a few years back but decided not to because few people were complaining about it. Not sure if they're better now, but I wouldn't mind trying.

Any difference between the $18 shipped vs $33 shipped other than the logo maybe?
Old 02-27-10, 06:39 PM
Surfrcali
Driver School Candidate

Ok so here it is..I bought the $30 key from Nyc.
I had to bring it to 2 different lock smiths because the 1st one tryed to tell me that i had to buy a transponder key from him because the one I had bought on eBay won't work. One word. Idiot. The second guy cut the key for me no problem for free because I had a AAA card. So try finding a locksmith that takes AAA. I opened the flip key with 2 Tiny screws and switched the transponder/buttons over. No problem a kid could do it. There is no problem with using it other then maybe getting used to the thickness of it when starting the car. A little awkard I can't say it's better then the original key as far as usability but it does look cooler. The plastic housing isn't high quality but doesn't look bad. I would say there is 3 things to be aware of:
1. The key is a little longer then stock so it just barely rubs on the wondsheild wiper control located on the steering column when using it.
2. The key is little bigger then your average housing compared to say a VW.
3. After you stick on the Metal L emblem and the denso sticker that cover up the screws to disasemble the unit you have to remove them and probably glue them back on because they are stickers.
Hope all this helps , have to say it is cool overall just wish it was smaller for the ignition.
Old 02-27-10, 07:06 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
How's the quality on these? I was looking at them a few years back but decided not to because few people were complaining about it. Not sure if they're better now, but I wouldn't mind trying.

Any difference between the $18 shipped vs $33 shipped other than the logo maybe?
mine seems quite durable and doesn't seem flimsy at all. i got the $33 one.

Originally Posted by Surfrcali
I had to bring it to 2 different lock smiths because the 1st one tryed to tell me that i had to buy a transponder key from him because the one I had bought on eBay won't work. One word. Idiot. The second guy cut the key for me no problem for free because I had a AAA card. So try finding a locksmith that takes AAA. I opened the flip key with 2 Tiny screws and switched the transponder/buttons over. No problem a kid could do it. There is no problem with using it other then maybe getting used to the thickness of it when starting the car. A little awkard I can't say it's better then the original key as far as usability but it does look cooler. The plastic housing isn't high quality but doesn't look bad. I would say there is 3 things to be aware of:
1. The key is a little longer then stock so it just barely rubs on the wondsheild wiper control located on the steering column when using it.
3. After you stick on the Metal L emblem and the denso sticker that cover up the screws to disasemble the unit you have to remove them and probably glue them back on because they are stickers.
Hope all this helps , have to say it is cool overall just wish it was smaller for the ignition.
nice i am going to have the locksmith cut the blade down a tad just because of the clearance issue.
Old 02-27-10, 07:52 PM
Surfrcali
Driver School Candidate

Ya good idea , I knew it was longer but I kinda forgot to tell him about it when I got there. The key isn't flimsy at all I was just saying the plastic is probably not the highest quality but no big deal.
Old 02-27-10, 07:56 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

yeah it is a little light in weight but i think a little liquid electrical tape or some epoxy inside would make it feel nicer.
Old 02-27-10, 09:20 PM
English66
Pole Position

I got my one on Thursday. Going to the locksmith when it stop snowing..
Old 02-27-10, 09:27 PM
Surfrcali
Driver School Candidate

ya maybe a little something inside would make it feel better but its all good I am just trying to get used to starting the car with it, I also think I need a new battery on my key and I just put it together damn itt
Old 02-27-10, 09:56 PM
SLAMDGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my key in the mail from Hong Kong and now i need to get it cut..i will definitely make sure it gets cut to match length as well
Old 02-27-10, 10:37 PM
Starter146
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Surfrcali

Hey, where did u go to get it cut free w/ AAA?? i'm looking for one right now in socal.
Old 02-27-10, 11:16 PM
Surfrcali
Driver School Candidate

Tri county lock and key in Ventura , Ca

Quick Reply: new key...flip style