GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Update on my crash...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 09:57 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update on my crash...

As you all know I wasin an accident about 2 weeks ago. I was hit by a drunkd river going 60mph in a 35mph zone. Well here is an update for all those interested:
1. Drunk Driver = 17 yr old Spanish kid, no license, drunk, fleeing scene of an accident, excessive speed.
PUNISHMENT - Arrested and put it Jail

2. My car = Ok so far, body shop will begin work on it this week.

3. Insurance = Bad anough as it is, however the kids car was insured and my insurance company is going after them. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Car should be up and running in few weeks.
Old 05-27-02, 12:05 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel for you on this one! After just getting my car back from the body shop for body work, what happens 2 days later? Ummm, I get side-swiped! Well, the entire side of the car is messed up...from the front fender to the rear quarter panel. Just driving straight and all of sudden if get side-swided from the curb side. Oh well, stuff happens, but its not my fault so my issurance company is going to go after them too!!! I swear I have no luck with my car. Lexus dealership messed up my dash, somone hit my front bumper, dealership drilled a hole in my first trunk lid putting a spoiler on my car the day I took delivery, someone dented my rear trunk lid after that, and most recently...the windshield repair shop scratched up my car in a few places and put a dent on the roof! Get done fixing all that to almost 100%, then more happened! haha...alright, enough venting...Take care all! and good luck with your GS! I wish people payed more attention to what they do, be it drinking, driving, etc...

Last edited by MikeGS4PE; 05-27-02 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-27-02, 12:09 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Futuregs: Man, that hurts.... So, are you planning on getting a bodykit, wheels, etc or is the body shop going to put it back to stock. I would try to get as much as I can from his Insurance.
Old 05-27-02, 10:01 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Futuregs: Man, that hurts.... So, are you planning on getting a bodykit, wheels, etc or is the body shop going to put it back to stock. I would try to get as much as I can from his Insurance.
Unfortuntaely it's going back to all stock. Reason being is if/when the adjuster comes he gives the bodyshop guy the check, not me. As soon as the guy recieves the money he orders all the stock replacement. Oh well, I guess. But at least in 2 months I'll have a nice set of deuces on my car. =]
Old 05-27-02, 10:44 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Hey futuregs,

I am just glad that at least the other car had insurance. Otherwise it would be a different story! I am starting to hate those DUI drivers......
Old 05-27-02, 10:48 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
Hey futuregs,

I am just glad that at least the other car had insurance. Otherwise it would be a different story! I am starting to hate those DUI drivers......
Yeah thank god, everyone I knew thought he didn't because he appeared to be illegal. Someone thought the plates mighta been stolen, or he cancelled his insurance and kept the plates.
Old 05-27-02, 01:40 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

MIKE

what ***** happened to you !!!!!!!

that's incredible.... a man would get depressed...

LOL

yezzzzzzzzzz
Old 05-27-02, 03:38 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

If the body shop wasn't able to match the paint up the first time, I would still be depressed...lol. I guess I still have some faith in people. I am sure futuregs has more to worry about than I...damn kids and drinking...well, i think that goes for any age too...
Old 05-27-02, 05:48 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Why dont you talk to the body shop and have him give you the check when he gets it or have him order you the kit and/or wheels you want instead of stock. Is the bodyshop a place the insurance selected or one you picked out?? I guess you might not be able to do it if it was your insurance's choice and the shop are ****....

Originally posted by futuregs

Unfortuntaely it's going back to all stock. Reason being is if/when the adjuster comes he gives the bodyshop guy the check, not me. As soon as the guy recieves the money he orders all the stock replacement. Oh well, I guess. But at least in 2 months I'll have a nice set of deuces on my car. =]
Old 05-27-02, 06:20 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mdw131
Why dont you talk to the body shop and have him give you the check when he gets it or have him order you the kit and/or wheels you want instead of stock. Is the bodyshop a place the insurance selected or one you picked out?? I guess you might not be able to do it if it was your insurance's choice and the shop are ****....

Insurance chose it.
Old 05-28-02, 01:13 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Well that sux a n**. You couldn't protest that in anyway? In my (3) wrecks, I've gotten the check mailed to me. Then I have the choice of picking out paint/body shops. I would see about picking your own out if I were you. (unless you already have)
Old 05-28-02, 03:23 AM
***SSagaG***
Driver School Candidate

sum insurance companies REQUIRE your car to be fixed at their bodyshops.
i dont remember very clearly but if you take it sum where else, it just wasnt worth it.
Old 05-28-02, 11:40 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Futuregs,

What exactly is the damage to the suspension. The reason I ask is that although body shops do a GREAT job on the paint and body, they may not know enough to correctly diagnose and fix the problem.

My example, damage to the front wheel in an accident. Body shop replaced all parts EXCEPT steering rack. They refused to fix it because they claimed nothing was wrong but I knew there was something wrong with the steering. Turns out that I took it to my own mechanic and he confirmed the steering problem. I had the insurance pay my mechanic to get the work done. The rack not only was bent slightly but the left portion of the rack was dangling with NO resistance. The ONLY way to tell was to take it off and look at it. I will NEVER recommend my bodyshop again because they refused to step up to the plate.

Just be careful since I recalled that you had some suspension damage. I would definitely take it to a suspension expert in Lexus GS to double-check the work. Anyway, just suggestions. Hope it helps. Thanks.

Brent
Old 05-28-02, 11:45 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BLiu
Futuregs,

What exactly is the damage to the suspension. The reason I ask is that although body shops do a GREAT job on the paint and body, they may not know enough to correctly diagnose and fix the problem.

My example, damage to the front wheel in an accident. Body shop replaced all parts EXCEPT steering rack. They refused to fix it because they claimed nothing was wrong but I knew there was something wrong with the steering. Turns out that I took it to my own mechanic and he confirmed the steering problem. I had the insurance pay my mechanic to get the work done. The rack not only was bent slightly but the left portion of the rack was dangling with NO resistance. The ONLY way to tell was to take it off and look at it. I will NEVER recommend my bodyshop again because they refused to step up to the plate.

Just be careful since I recalled that you had some suspension damage. I would definitely take it to a suspension expert in Lexus GS to double-check the work. Anyway, just suggestions. Hope it helps. Thanks.

Brent
awesome thanks, well the guy who is doing all the work, does only luxury cars. He isknown in my area for doin a superb job on MB's, BMW's, Lexus', and Jaguars. I believe that is the reason the Insurance company chose him. His shop has had a good reputation for about 60 years.
Old 05-28-02, 11:55 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by futuregs

awesome thanks, well the guy who is doing all the work, does only luxury cars. He isknown in my area for doin a superb job on MB's, BMW's, Lexus', and Jaguars. I believe that is the reason the Insurance company chose him. His shop has had a good reputation for about 60 years.
Hey Futuregs,

Yeah, that was my problem too! My bodyshop had the same reputation with luxury cars. The biggest problem is that bodyshops do not specialize in the more complex components such as suspension and engine, etc. You might want to ask them to show you the estimate on what parts are going to be replaced with regards to the suspension.

Like when you have a medical condition, a second opinion always helps. Good luck!

Brent

Quick Reply: Update on my crash...