GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Labor cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 02:50 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Looking forward to pics TL after the install, spacers, etc.. Car is coming along..
Thanks alot man! I'll post pics after the install.
Old 02-22-10, 02:53 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned that $300 is what most shops are going to charge..Im on another forum and a member close to me will do my suspension for 100, maby thats an option for you..meet some people to help you install or install them for you cheaper.. but me and a few buddys off CL are planning on just doing it ourselves whenever i get coils..
Old 02-22-10, 03:00 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I know its not the way to go with stock shocks. But for the time being it will have to work. The shop quoted me $300 which i think is too much. I am going to tackle this one myself. Unless theres anybody in socal interested in helping me out And for people that have done this, is it necessary to have an air compressor?
I won't consider what they quoted you way too much but it can be done for cheaper. I paid around that amount to have both lowering springs and new struts put in. It would be great if you can do it on your own. I would still wait to get your hands on other struts first and install both at the same time.
Old 02-22-10, 03:42 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Anthony
I learned that $300 is what most shops are going to charge..Im on another forum and a member close to me will do my suspension for 100, maby thats an option for you..meet some people to help you install or install them for you cheaper.. but me and a few buddys off CL are planning on just doing it ourselves whenever i get coils..
Yeah im guna have me and a couple buddies install them this week. Seems pretty straightforward, and my friend is pretty good with cars(can drop a trannie,pull an engine). We'll see how it turns out.

As far as aftermarket struts go. Does it make that big of a difference. I plan to do coils this summer.
Old 02-22-10, 04:04 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

yes aftermarket shocks make a big diff lol. they are valved differently which can give you a sportier ride quality. but if ur going to do coils in the summer u shoulda saved your money n not buy springs honestly LOL.

price is usually around 300 since springs take longer to install compared to coilovers.. removal of the spring is a PITA but easily done.. reason for the higher cost.

it took me several hours to swap the suspension.. fronts were easy peasy but the rear was difficult :|
Old 02-22-10, 04:22 PM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
highly doubt it takes 30 minuets to do springs. When I did my bags, definitely didnt take 30mins to an hour for the bag install (which is the same job) the job is pretty cut and dry, remove the top 3 bolts of the strut and the one on the bottom to remove the strut, once its out you will need a spring compressor to remove the factory spring (you can get a spring compressor from harbor freight for like 10 bucks) once its off, reverse the process. For the fronts, its the same I had to remove my upper control arms to get it in there, but dont think you need to for spring install. If you have a lift, it will make things a world easier... Go to top of GS forum and find the sticky with all the links, in that link you'll find a link for all DIY's which includes this step by step install
Well, I replace my stock suspension with teins and only took me and hour and a half. I never taken off the top cap of the stock suspensions, but i did do honda and acura in the past before.

And YES, you do need a air compressor. Makes the job so much easier and a lot quicker.

As for the alignment... I didn't do it since i didn't touch the alignment thingy under/near the brakes. What i did was push down the brakes/rotors and took out the suspensions without touching the alignment. My car drives straight up right now. Although, it's always recommended to do the alignment afterward.
Old 02-22-10, 04:23 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Yeah im guna have me and a couple buddies install them this week. Seems pretty straightforward, and my friend is pretty good with cars(can drop a trannie,pull an engine). We'll see how it turns out.

As far as aftermarket struts go. Does it make that big of a difference. I plan to do coils this summer.
Dude if you are planning on getting coilovers this summer as you say, then why are you wasting time (and money) on installing lowering springs. Just save up and get coilovers instead.
Old 02-22-10, 04:26 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Dude if you are planning on getting coilovers this summer as you say, then why are you wasting time (and money) on installing lowering springs. Just save up and get coilovers instead.
Because in the meantime i can't stand the handling and height of the GS. I got the springs for a good deal, and i'll be able to sell them for some money so its not a total loss. I enjoy working on cars, anyways im a senior in high school my schedule is pretty open.