GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Run-away Lexus? GS model affected? Are Ecu's shared?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 03:33 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
All of you are grossly misunderstanding my post.
If you had watched the congressional hearings you wouldve seen a Dr. who produced a situation with a toyota avalon's ecu to induce a run-away acceleration problem.
I have not bought into the mayhem and have been defending my toyota product, however this issue with the ECU is new information.

What I was wanting to know is if the GS or other Lexus models share this TBW system with the affected Toyota Avalon, or if we have a direct wire drive system.

What years did they start this system on Lexus'? and which models have them currently?
I highly doubt the parts are shared but if you want to be absolutely sure, cross reference parts number.

I can't believe you guys aren't aware of this but there is a recall for our GS (GS400 only, so chill out OP).

------------------------
Make: LEXUS Model: GS400
Model Year: 1998
Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR CO., LTD. Mfr's Report Date: APR 16, 1998
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 98V080000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: SUSPENSION:AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL (ASC)
Potential Number of Units Affected: 14855
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. DUE TO A MANUFACTURING DEFECT OF THE YAW RATE SENSOR FOR THE VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL (VSC), THE VSC CAN OPERATE IMPROPERLY IF THE SENSOR IS AFFECTED BY CERTAIN ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES, SUCH AS FROM A CELLULAR PHONE.
Consequence:
SHOULD THIS OCCUR, THE BRAKE MAY OPERATE UNEXPECTEDLY, AFFECTING STEERING AND SPEED CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE YAW RATE SENSOR.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 1998. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT LEXUS AT 1-888-333-9376. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
------------------------
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm
Old 02-23-10, 03:57 PM
jimmyford1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Blue98Gs3;5255063] If you had watched the congressional hearings you wouldve seen a Dr. who produced a situation with a toyota avalon's ecu to induce a run-away acceleration problem.
QUOTE]

According to Mr. Gilbert's web page, he is not a Phd.
http://automotivetechnology.siuc.edu/d_gilbrt.html
Old 02-23-10, 08:37 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The 2nd gen GS300/GS400 has a transitional drive by wire system. There is a cable that runs all the way to the throttle body. Then the ACCELERATOR position sensor is mounted in the throttle body. It may look like it's a conventional manual throttle setup, but it's actually throttle by wire. The only difference is that in these systems, in the case of system failure the cable has a emergency link that can still move the throttle plate 15% open.

On the newer Toyotas they changed over to a complete throttle by wire system. This is the setup where the pedal position sensor is on the pedal itself. There is no mechanical backup link from the pedal to the throttle body. If the pedal sensor fails, then the ECU has no info on what to do. This should normally set off a fault code and the car will go into a failsafe mode, however the problem is that the new Toyota recalled cars are having is that the ECU is not detecting this fault. For some reason it's interpreting it as 100% throttle lol.
Old 02-23-10, 08:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I dont think people misunderstood, its just that there are a lot of very smart people in here (including yourself) that know that there is more to the story and know there are easy ways to prevent death in this case. Also, dont forget that the media will only air what they want you to see. Time and time again I see the scripts of the producers here and see how they leave holes in stories to get that extra viewer for ratings Just gotta think outside of the box on what you hear on tv, there is ALWAYS the other side of the story...

Remember "Black Sheep" with Chris Farley (r.i.p.) PERFECT example how pictures were taken to show either HIM starting the fire of the rec center, or pictures of the true lighters of the fire Media's a Biatch!

anyways, best thing to do is call your local dealer with your vin and they can give you the answers you need good luck with it all.

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
All of you are grossly misunderstanding my post.
If you had watched the congressional hearings you wouldve seen a Dr. who produced a situation with a toyota avalon's ecu to induce a run-away acceleration problem.
I have not bought into the mayhem and have been defending my toyota product, however this issue with the ECU is new information.

What I was wanting to know is if the GS or other Lexus models share this TBW system with the affected Toyota Avalon, or if we have a direct wire drive system.

What years did they start this system on Lexus'? and which models have them currently?
Old 02-24-10, 07:57 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The 2nd gen GS300/GS400 has a transitional drive by wire system. There is a cable that runs all the way to the throttle body. Then the ACCELERATOR position sensor is mounted in the throttle body. It may look like it's a conventional manual throttle setup, but it's actually throttle by wire. The only difference is that in these systems, in the case of system failure the cable has a emergency link that can still move the throttle plate 15% open.

On the newer Toyotas they changed over to a complete throttle by wire system. This is the setup where the pedal position sensor is on the pedal itself. There is no mechanical backup link from the pedal to the throttle body. If the pedal sensor fails, then the ECU has no info on what to do. This should normally set off a fault code and the car will go into a failsafe mode, however the problem is that the new Toyota recalled cars are having is that the ECU is not detecting this fault. For some reason it's interpreting it as 100% throttle lol.
Jeff thanks for the info. So there has been a significant change in the way the throttle systems are constructed.
So do you believe that it is possible for this same issue of no error code to full throttle to happen to the 2nd gen GS? Or is it a completely different system.

I do take everything with a grain of sand that the news tells you. and my mistake on the title of Mr. Gilbert.
Old 03-02-10, 02:11 PM
gs4ed
Driver School Candidate

from experience of driving my brother in laws 01 gs300 the pedal stuck on me. it was caused by a wrong floor mat pinning the pedal i pulled back the mat then no problem. my 98 gs400 has not had a problem at all..

the floor mat was more than likely your friends problem years ago...