GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Introduction: 2001 GS300 White/Tan

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 05:16 PM
AlphaTribe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction: 2001 GS300 White/Tan

Hey, didn't really see a place for an intro on here anywhere, so if this isn't the right location plz move it or just delete it. Ive lurked for a while, signed up at one point (can't remember my user name or password for the life of me) then just started driving the GS as a daily and stopped worried about modding it. Flirted with the idea of selling it for two years, my ex wife really trashed it inside and out, but in the past 72 hours had a desire to refurb it and keep it around. Currently the car is in rough shape, I have an idea of what I'd like to do with it, but we'll see how that plays out.
  • 2001 GS300 White on Tan
  • Stock Wheels
  • Tein Comfort Series Coilovers (not a fan of at all btw, also have EDFC and motors brand new in the box I'd like to get rid of if anyone needs any)
  • Alpine Avic Z1 Touch screen Nav (would like to update this unit too)
  • Two JL amps (not sure if they are good or need replaced
  • JL W6 sub and box (def needs replaced, pretty sure its blown, and box sucks
  • The worst installed components and cross overs you've ever seen
  • Faulty door locks that rarely unlock
  • Interior that is screaming to be redone (ex wife abuse)
  • The noisiest suspension known to man (thinking LCA's)
Basically....this thing needs help, in the worst way. Now that I'm out of the military Im going to college full time, and repair money is hard to come by. Thats why I was so bent on selling it and just getting a little honda to drive around, but at one time I was in love with this car, maybe I can some how put it back to decent standings on a budget with peoples help and hookups and keep it around. Here are the pics I have, these are years old. Suppose once the snow stops I could take some new ones some time.

I did the ole DIY chrome grill thing years ago too, it also looks pretty bad now and needs to be replaced
Old 02-24-10, 07:30 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where you lowered at all in those pics? Looks pretty high. Also, what's with the grill? Im guessing lighting affected the picture but it looks orange?
Old 02-24-10, 08:14 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome AlphaTribe! first off, thanks for your military service! my lil bro is actually at basic in GA right now.

i would say that if funds to modify your GS are low, clean her up first. unload the sound equipment that are questionable (mainly the subs and amps) to give her a lil less to haul around. save yourself a few pennies at the gas pump. as you save up those pennies, research and see what you want to do. start with the free or inexpensive mods and go from there.

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Where you lowered at all in those pics? Looks pretty high. Also, what's with the grill? Im guessing lighting affected the picture but it looks orange?
they're old pics before the CS's and i think it's just the reflection of lights causing the orange.
Old 02-24-10, 08:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome

Best place for upgrades/replacements is gonna be our classifieds, you'll find a lot of good deals there and everything you need...
Old 02-24-10, 09:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL... don't forget to join the crystal white and DWP registry..
Old 02-24-10, 09:58 PM
AlphaTribe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. As for the pics, that was before the Tein's and the grill pic was a crappy digital camera and entirely to much drinking while performing the DIY grill.

I want to restore it to just acceptable condition prior to trying to mod it really. Im having issues with door locks, my key is broken (thinking about doing the ole ebay flip key) the interior is rough. I spent all afternoon looking for OEM carpet replacements but didn't seem to find anything. I'd like to slowly switch the interior to black as I restore things. Ex wife was a smoker too, so I think the car smells like an ash tray, and there are stains from make up and starbucks and all types of other nasty stuff. She wasn't much on respecting our things or taking care of them. Once I took it back and started driving it every day again, it seemed to far gone to even worry about. With 112xxx miles on it and several problems some days I feel like driving it off a bridge. Perhaps I can find my patience again and restore it to what it once was. I wanted a GS so bad in high school and years later I was finally able to get it, I need to fall in love with it again!
Old 02-24-10, 10:13 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

welcome and I say fix the ride up. But take your time and the restoration will be rewarding in the end
Old 02-25-10, 02:14 AM
LEXTECH126
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
welcome and I say fix the ride up. But take your time and the restoration will be rewarding in the end
i second that...
Old 02-25-10, 06:27 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL! If funds are low, just work on cleaning her up and take your time doing it. When its all said and done, the end result will be great!
Old 02-25-10, 07:51 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome! Sorry to hear about the abuse from your ex-wife. I fell in love with the GS when I was 8 years old and told myself that one day I would have one.... I have one. Keep her man! Start slow; not everybody has all the money in the world. Thank you for your service in the military. It's greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to make a correction and I'm not trying to be an ***. The AVIC Z1 is made by Pioneer, not Alpine.
Old 02-25-10, 01:19 PM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who not too long ago left the military, whats good brother...However I haven't had to deal with angry women and my car's...But you should be able to pull it off and get all your parts slowly it's not a race
Old 02-25-10, 01:41 PM
AlphaTribe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shvc1991
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the abuse from your ex-wife. I fell in love with the GS when I was 8 years old and told myself that one day I would have one.... I have one. Keep her man! Start slow; not everybody has all the money in the world. Thank you for your service in the military. It's greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to make a correction and I'm not trying to be an ***. The AVIC Z1 is made by Pioneer, not Alpine.
LoL, I noticed that after I re-read my post, good eye though lol. Id like to replace this unit eventually, I can't stand not having a rotary volume ****!
Old 02-25-10, 03:25 PM
AlphaTribe
Driver School Candidate

I've been a nissan guy since before I could drive. Living in Okinawa as a teenager, then being in Tokyo and Oki again as an adult during my time in the Air Force slightly brainwashed me. I got rid of both my 240's and my 350z during the divorce, all I have left is this GS300 (which I agreed to buy in hopes of either switching trannies and sliding it, or bagging and doing the VIP deal with). I'm not quite as into cars as I once was, I just want to fix what is broken and make it decent to drive again. I'm embarrassed by the noisy suspension and brakes, the crack in the windshield, the ghetto installed stereo (which I didn't do btw) and the overall functionality of the car. I'm just going to make a list of things that are wrong, and try to fix them one by one before I get into any type of customization....however, if something happens to be replaced with something say....aftermarket, well that isn't so bad.

I just made my first purchase for the restore, after having my car keys thrown at me and the key fob shattering against the wall I found myself holding it together with packing tape. Well, that all changed and I just ordered the ebay special 30 dollar flip key I saw a few threads ago. Can't wait for that to arrive, bad enough when your car embarrasses you, but way worse when just the site of your car keys embarrass you too!

Old Key