GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Are you interested in clear lense for the stock fog lights?
Yes.
36.44%
No.
11.02%
Yes depending on the price.
48.31%
No this is a dum idea.
4.24%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Fog Light Modifications Lense

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 01:32 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Who needs high beams or headlights with those fog lights..lol j/k
but I do admit looks very nice...
Old 03-24-10, 04:08 PM
fro20
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Actually Jeremy the reflector is in no way smooth, the fluted lense is made to scatter the light output which is the way that fog transmit light, which is very inefficient. You still pretty much the same output without the lense on the fog light, I will post up beam pictures of everything withing the next few days.

But bumping this back up to the top.
Sweet. It looked smooth, but its not. The pics of the cut off look good.

Jeremy
Old 03-24-10, 05:46 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone know if there is a bit (possibly for a dremel) that will let you sand of the fluted glass material inside the lenses?

i'm sure if there is, this can be easily done as a diy instead of having a company make new lenses.
Old 03-24-10, 06:04 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sanding glass? might be dangerous. DOn't want to breath that particle. You might need diamond or generic sander
Old 03-24-10, 06:39 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
does anyone know if there is a bit (possibly for a dremel) that will let you sand of the fluted glass material inside the lenses?

i'm sure if there is, this can be easily done as a diy instead of having a company make new lenses.
This really doesn't sound like a good idea.... but if you try it, wet sand it to try and keep the particles from flying all over the place...
Old 03-25-10, 06:29 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
I can model them in Pro-E (CAD program) if you give me the dimensions. Not sure if they have a specific program they want to use for the molding but if Pro-E works for them I can do it.
Thanks Mac, I will get you some info and dimensions in a few days, and we'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by LexusGSF
Who needs high beams or headlights with those fog lights..lol j/k
but I do admit looks very nice...
Nah these would be mounted too low to be used as anything besides fogs, but this particular projector isnt as wide or reaches as far as a headlight projector.

Originally Posted by fro20
Sweet. It looked smooth, but its not. The pics of the cut off look good.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy.

Originally Posted by baddis es

Not possible at all the flutes are cast into the glass and are way too deep. If you were to try to remove the flutes than it would make the glass paper thin. Another thing is that if you try to grind it down even if it is feasible, which I dont see how, you would still need some way in order to restore clarity to the glass and that cannot be done. Good try but not realistic or possible, if the lense was plastic then we would be in business but since it not.....
Old 03-25-10, 07:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The glass is actually quite thick. You can sand down all of the ridges and still have a very thick piece of glass. Then use a glass polishing wheel and compound to restore clarity back to it. I was going to do that about 2 years ago or so. I have all the equipment to do it, but spending 6-8 hours per lens was just not something I wanted to do lol.

I'm down for a set of non-fluted lenses made out of polycarbonate. I'd be willing to pay around $100-125/pair.

I charge around $30/hour for retrofit labor. So, if I could sand down the ridges and polish up glass lenses very quickly in say, 12 hours. That's $360 of my time lol. I'd rather just slap on a set of replacement lenses for $100-125 and call it a day

Last edited by JeffTsai; 03-25-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 08:14 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

^ Polycarbonate would be nice, but an acrylic material would get the job done better.

Polycarbonate yellows and fogs up over time. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-25-10, 11:16 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The glass is actually quite thick. You can sand down all of the ridges and still have a very thick piece of glass. Then use a glass polishing wheel and compound to restore clarity back to it. I was going to do that about 2 years ago or so. I have all the equipment to do it, but spending 6-8 hours per lens was just not something I wanted to do lol.

I'm down for a set of non-fluted lenses made out of polycarbonate. I'd be willing to pay around $100-125/pair.

I charge around $30/hour for retrofit labor. So, if I could sand down the ridges and polish up glass lenses very quickly in say, 12 hours. That's $360 of my time lol. I'd rather just slap on a set of replacement lenses for $100-125 and call it a day
Jeff, you are right the glass is thick but I dont think that its thick enough to do it, but maybe you're right it possible to have it done. But like you said its not worth it due to the time needed.
Originally Posted by shvc1991
^ Polycarbonate would be nice, but an acrylic material would get the job done better.

Polycarbonate yellows and fogs up over time. Correct me if I'm wrong.
There are different grades of polycarbonate available, and most of them do have UV protection.

Last edited by Spyder78; 03-25-10 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 02:00 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

For something that is going to be exposed to a non-stop barrage of rock chips and stones....it MUST be polycarbonate. Acrylic is just simply not up to the task. Acrylic will crack very easily compared to polycarbonate. As spyder78 said, there are many different grades of PC. Also, most have UV hardcoat to prevent yellowing...of course over time the coating will break down, but it is quite durable.

FYI: The stock GS headlights are made of polycarbonate, as well as pretty much any car out there with plastic headlight lenses.

And another fun fact...bullet proof "glass" is actually polycarbonate
Old 03-26-10, 09:41 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

I've never had luck with polycarbonate anything...
Old 05-01-10, 09:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

updates,updates, updates needed vlad
Old 05-01-10, 11:16 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i am just going to put in projectors and make a stainless steel insert cut to the shape of the stock fogs then just mount the projectors to them nice and flush then polish the stainless up...
Old 05-01-10, 11:23 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a good amount of yes's and maybe's...plus, looking at the picture again, there is a good amount of room for errors.

definitely doable using emachineshop
Old 05-01-10, 11:35 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I've already done this in the past. I put 350Z HID projectors in the fogs. I just didn't have the time to finish griding and polishing down the lens.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Modifications Lense