GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Are you interested in clear lense for the stock fog lights?
Yes.
36.44%
No.
11.02%
Yes depending on the price.
48.31%
No this is a dum idea.
4.24%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Fog Light Modifications Lense

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 08:41 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you GS guys, looking for a clear lens cover replacement for my IS foglight. The retrofitted projector foglight has sharp clean cutoff during testing, but once I put the lens cover back on, it causes my output to be softened. The fog lens cover is very pitted, due to daily driving and the fact that our foglight are mounted low to the ground. Also it's curved, not flat like the GS fog lens.
Old 02-28-11, 09:47 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jvxdriver
I'm in the same boat as you GS guys, looking for a clear lens cover replacement for my IS foglight. The retrofitted projector foglight has sharp clean cutoff during testing, but once I put the lens cover back on, it causes my output to be softened. The fog lens cover is very pitted, due to daily driving and the fact that our foglight are mounted low to the ground. Also it's curved, not flat like the GS fog lens.
The GS fog lense is not flat, even though it may appear that way. There is a slight curve throughout the whole lense. you can see it more clearly from the inside.
Old 02-28-11, 10:59 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To save some headache and chance of DIY failing. Why not look on ebay for some Benz E or S class fog light with LED. Do a custome molde and bracket to fit. Spend sometime to rewire the thing and call it a day. Clear lens with LED.

Or hit up Yahoo Japan Auction, search for "Toyota Aristo", click on "Toyota Aristo Car Part" and buy THIS and call it a day. If you want projecto than play with it. Lens are already clear.

Cost: 19,950.00 JPY = $242.799 USD

DONE!
Old 02-28-11, 11:30 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigguppy
To save some headache and chance of DIY failing. Why not look on ebay for some Benz E or S class fog light with LED. Do a custome molde and bracket to fit. Spend sometime to rewire the thing and call it a day. Clear lens with LED.

Or hit up Yahoo Japan Auction, search for "Toyota Aristo", click on "Toyota Aristo Car Part" and buy THIS and call it a day. If you want projecto than play with it. Lens are already clear.

DONE!
Interesting... I wonder if there is enough room for a projector... the led seems to take up a lot of space.
Old 03-01-11, 12:00 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Dont cut the bezel to far where it effect the LED. Adjust your projecto to however you want it to sit. If it stick out from behind it would'nt matter because no one will see it. I am sure if someone want it that bad it can done.

Also the goal of this thread has change to how to get clear cover. Well it exist but for a heathy price. But than again it cost to play and custom work is never cheap.

I still like Benz idea... Cant be too hard to wired your bumbper side marker to the OEM LED or rewire your DRL with a relay setup.
Old 03-01-11, 12:09 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Dont cut the bezel to far where it effect the LED. Adjust your projecto to however you want it to sit. If it stick out from behind it would'nt matter because no one will see it. I am sure if someone want it that bad it can done.

Also the goal of this thread has change to how to get clear cover. Well it exist but for a heathy price. But than again it cost to play and custom work is never cheap.

I still like Benz idea... Cant be too hard to wired your bumbper side marker to the OEM LED or rewire your DRL with a relay setup.
I may get the led one if there is no other solution. I only need to get half of the lense in there for it to project correctly. Although mine is the bixenon fxr clear lense (yellow coated lense) projector and huge, it may even still work.

Why do the benz? does it fit in oem location? I think the thread was about clear lense since the beginning.
Old 03-01-11, 02:27 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Have you concider 350z or some of the Cadillac projector? They are pretty small and may do the job better. I mention the benz setup alot because I think it would be a much easier task to pull off. (For myself at least) It of course wont fit our bumpber but a few tweak here and there and some 3M product can get the job done

As for the lens topic. I guess I got a bit side track from reading everyone's ideas and Spyder78 photos.

jvxdriver: I read the links in your tag, nice stuff.

Last edited by bigguppy; 03-01-11 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-01-11, 10:25 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
I may get the led one if there is no other solution. I only need to get half of the lense in there for it to project correctly. Although mine is the bixenon fxr clear lense (yellow coated lense) projector and huge, it may even still work.

Why do the benz? does it fit in oem location? I think the thread was about clear lense since the beginning.
FXR's will definitely not fit the fog light housing. They are just too big, the blazers barely fit and thats with modifying the projector. The only way to make the fxrs fit is to butcher the housing and pretty much leave almost the whole projector out the back of the housing.
Old 03-01-11, 10:36 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

DONE!
Not a fan of the led look, want to actually shy away from the leds because everyone and their mother is doing it, you see all of the ricers putting led strips all over their cars. Not a fan. I appreciate you linking the fog light for me, but the only usable part from that whole thing might be the lense if they didnt make any modifications to the housing. If you were to install a projector in there, there would be no way to mount it without tearing into the leds at the bottom because they take up way too much space and space is the problem here. Maybe if you had most of the projector hanging out the back than it might work. I might bite the bullet and buy the fogs to test later on, but I want to wait to work up a design first.

BTW reading the auction carefully they say that the lense is glass, and that the price is only for 1. $500 for those lights is definitely more than I would pay.

Last edited by Spyder78; 03-01-11 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-01-11, 05:06 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
FXR's will definitely not fit the fog light housing. They are just too big, the blazers barely fit and thats with modifying the projector. The only way to make the fxrs fit is to butcher the housing and pretty much leave almost the whole projector out the back of the housing.
If you're going to modify the blazer fog, why not use the Mini H1 projector? It has better output than the blazer fog:

If it's weren't for the pitted and curved fog lens, the fog beam would be as sharp as my lowbeam.
Old 03-01-11, 07:54 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Spyder78
That is what I would have to do.
Old 03-01-11, 08:33 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jvxdriver
If you're going to modify the blazer fog, why not use the Mini H1 projector? It has better output than the blazer fog:

If it's weren't for the pitted and curved fog lens, the fog beam would be as sharp as my lowbeam.
Back when I started this the Mini wasnt out yet so I worked with what I had, most likely I will utilize the mini but I am still stopped by the lense, and until I get a solution there is no point in putting a projector in there.
Old 03-01-11, 08:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

If you guys are gonna put projectors into the fogs, you will need a different fog lense or else you will lose alot of output. Also, I notice, cars with fog projectors usually got a plastic lense instead of glass.
Old 03-01-11, 09:39 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
If you guys are gonna put projectors into the fogs, you will need a different fog lense or else you will lose alot of output. Also, I notice, cars with fog projectors usually got a plastic lense instead of glass.
Have you even read the thread?
Old 04-04-11, 08:34 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This would be a good start to rip them apart and install a projector. Half the work is done.

Not feeling the LED stip but great for parts......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...item588d56a24f

Last edited by nar8ta; 04-04-11 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Modifications Lense