GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Water Damage Car probably totalled. I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 09:17 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I love the way people go off subject and say pointless things. If you really want to know, other cars not trucks were going through it just fine, and it wasnt a steady 2ft flow, the 2ft was an estimate as the street had a rather large dip that i couldnt see right at the crosswalk.
I don't think what's been said thus far has been pointless. You mentioned the road was a little flooded and also that there was about 2ft. of water. People of course are going to question why you drove through it in the first place. It amazes me how some people still attempt to drive through flooded roads and get stuck once the engine stalls on them and then need to be rescued.

Good luck in what ever route you take in getting this resolved with the suggestions mentioned here for you.
Old 03-12-10, 10:13 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 9k to replace an engine. No wonder they are called stealerships!!! You could do a full 2JZGTE swap with supporting mods and conversions (wiring harnesses, ECU, etc) and maybe even a V160 tranny for that much. Or, even the LS1 Vette motor swap, since you are a V8 already.
Old 03-12-10, 11:46 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

for that price of 9k u can buy a GTE engine
Old 03-12-10, 12:53 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iloveGS4xx
hey dude it happen to my gs4xx today too well not really i was drivig to work and it was raining pretty hard, so ther was a little flood but not really so i try to pass by but run on some of the water and my check engine TURN ON!! and i use K&N intake,(its not cold air) can it damage the engine???
It depends. If a sensor got wet, you will be ok. If your intake sucked water into the engine, passed through the intake manifold, down to the cylinders and water got in there, since water does not compress, it will bend a rod, bend a valve, blow a head gasket or break a piston, and your engine will not run.

If your car is running, most likely you will be ok. If you did suck in water, you do not need a whole new engine, but a full teardown is required especially if you broke anything in the short block.
Old 03-12-10, 05:54 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I don't think what's been said thus far has been pointless. You mentioned the road was a little flooded and also that there was about 2ft. of water. People of course are going to question why you drove through it in the first place. It amazes me how some people still attempt to drive through flooded roads and get stuck once the engine stalls on them and then need to be rescued.

Good luck in what ever route you take in getting this resolved with the suggestions mentioned here for you.
exactly, in az we have the stupid motorist law for people that do that.
Old 03-12-10, 06:34 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

I love the way people go off subject and say pointless things.
People aren't saying pointless things, first of all. This has to be taken as a learning experience, and that's important to recognize.

If you really want to know, other cars not trucks were going through it just fine, and it wasnt a steady 2ft flow, the 2ft was an estimate as the street had a rather large dip that i couldnt see right at the crosswalk.
Just because others are foolish enough to do it doesn't mean you should, mang. And do you travel this route regularly? It sounds like you do, so you really should have known about said "dip." Speaking of, that's a pretty deep "dip" if it goes from something you can traverse to 2 feet of water.

The car turned off as it went through the dip/crosswalk. It just happened to be the way the water splashed through the grill into the intake. And yes i could have waited a day for the water to clear, but i was in a rush and as I said before other cars were going through the intersection just fine.
I think you hit on the key point - you were rushing. How much time did you save? How much time are you going to lose? How much money are you going to lose by paying your deductible?

I'm not trying to beat you up, mang, but people will take the nonchalant attitude and react pretty much the way they did. I suggest you use this as a lesson to take a bit of time, use some patience, and avoid making a mistake that is super costly like this one. You should also be thankful that you didn't get hurt or hurt someone else.

ECU won't be the same, as the engines are a bit different based on their tuning. 300 HP in the GS vs. 288 in the SC. The bore and stroke are the same, so the camshafts are probably a bit different, along with the controls. You may be able to swap one from the other. If your electrical isn't shot, perhaps your ECU survived. It's not going to be a simple switch, that's for sure.

Big Mack
Old 03-12-10, 06:59 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

In before DaveGS400 locks this thread.
Old 03-12-10, 08:10 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you big mack for the actual information I was asking for. As for the other comments. I live in hollywood hills and was in ontario for the 2 or 3rd time in my life. So no I was not familiar with the area. Yes i was rushing because I had to. It wasnt like i wanted to drive through the intersection but I had to. The intersection was only about 1 ft of water which is not really that deep, but the dip at the crosswalk which i could NOT see was about I would estimate 2ft. The vehicle was never submerged in water and it has been at the lexus dealership since the incident. Insurance wrote me a check for 4k (that was minus my deductible already) just for my bumpers and paint. Also they gave me a check for 5400 just for the preliminary inspection of the engine. Also they said they would cover any other expenses necessary that arose after the tear down, which has just been done. Once again it WAS NOT submerged in water, just when i hit the dip, it made a splash that went right in the intake and ended up in the cylinders. Bad luck, maybe, I actually look at it as good luck seeing as how I've already come out ahead in the situation and Have been driving a 2010 loaner in the meantime.
Anyway once again, thanks big mack for the information I asked for.

I'll post some pics of the intersection and the car after the incident later.

Last edited by LALEX1; 03-12-10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 10:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Also they said they would cover any other expenses necessary that arose after the tear down, which has just been done.
u need a new insurance company, mine will fix anything that has been discovered after the initial repair with the right documentation
Old 03-14-10, 12:21 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
u need a new insurance company, mine will fix anything that has been discovered after the initial repair with the right documentation
Every insurance company does that. I think you misread my statement.
They will cover any expenses, but no actual work has been done yet (other than the tear down) so they can still total it if they want.
Old 03-14-10, 12:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
Every insurance company does that. I think you misread my statement.
They will cover any expenses, but no actual work has been done yet (other than the tear down) so they can still total it if they want.
i DID in fact misread your statement.

i thought you said they WOULDNT cover any other expenses necessary that arose after the tear down, which has just been done

my fault
Old 03-27-10, 07:43 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

The engines are basically the same (piston rods,exhaust header) I believe it has a different tune for the less HP. The ECU has the same pin count w/slighly different functions. Check w/ Pearlpower on the SC430 site he may have more info.
I know once he posted the SRT intake /ECU wiring for the SC430, and 1 point was different than the GS430 that was the RPM signal. that might be the only thing.
See if you can get/borrow a SC 430 wiring book and and compare the ECU w/ the GS430. i HAVE gs430 diagram.

Even try calling several Lexus service depts.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 04-20-10 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 12:24 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

What did you end up doing? Did you keep the car?
Old 04-20-10, 07:53 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I came up on a crazy lake of a puddle once. Turned the car off, took of my shoes and rolled up my pants. Pushed it across. Yea I'm a G like that. I almost died of fatigue though, but did it.
Old 04-20-10, 11:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slickgt1
I came up on a crazy lake of a puddle once. Turned the car off, took of my shoes and rolled up my pants. Pushed it across. Yea I'm a G like that. I almost died of fatigue though, but did it.
lol by the time u pushed it through, i would turned around and found another route and you still woulda been in that puddle

Quick Reply: Water Damage Car probably totalled. I need opinions