GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Water Damage Car probably totalled. I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 03:47 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water Damage Car probably totalled. I need opinions

So here goes,
I have a 2002 gs430. I've posted pictures of it before. But anyway, back in January i drove through an intersection that was a little to flooded to drive through. Long story short, it cracked my veilside rear bumper and my wise front bumper. The veilside is definitely repairable but the wise ummmm would need a lot of repair. Also the car got little nicks on the sides. So basically will need an entire repaint minus the roof and trunk. Oh yeah also slightly damaged my rmm grill and pushed it up onto the hood causing little scratches but deep enough to also need a repaint.
Now for the really bad,
engine sucked in water. I was just told by the lexus dealership that I will need a new engine. Price====9k installed
Now my insurance priced it out at 15,500. And the adjuster said if it goes over 80percent of the value then they will be totaling the car. Also the lexus dealership said the engine will be around 9k.
What would you guys recommend I do about the engine. Also will a sc430 engine fit in there? I have found quite a few of those for a fairly cheap price.
Also, everything else electrical still worked fine. I actually made it through the intersection so even though it did sit in a bit of running water, it was only about a foot high. I dont think anything electrical was damaged.

So any advice on how to deal with this? Im thinking if it is totaled, i will buy the vehicle back and drop an engine into it. The car has not been in any accidents so I know it has no frame damage whatsover. Not to mention over 10k in parts/stereo equipment still in it.
Old 03-11-10, 04:03 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How did you get water into the engine if it was only a foot of water? The car has a clearance of about 6 inches, a bit less if lowered, but it's at least 4 inches off the ground. The intake for the engine is on the top unless you're running a cold air intake that is shot down toward the bottom.

I'm pretty sure an SC430 engine would fit, since it's still a 3UZFE.

Big Mack
Old 03-11-10, 05:18 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
How did you get water into the engine if it was only a foot of water? The intake for the engine is on the top unless you're running a cold air intake that is shot down toward the bottom.
Exactly. You must have driven through 4 feet of water.
Old 03-11-10, 05:23 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

^ agreed. And the engines are the same so it will fit but idk if the wiring harnesses are the same, probably are but check.
Old 03-11-10, 06:05 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack
How did you get water into the engine if it was only a foot of water? The car has a clearance of about 6 inches, a bit less if lowered, but it's at least 4 inches off the ground. The intake for the engine is on the top unless you're running a cold air intake that is shot down toward the bottom.

I'm pretty sure an SC430 engine would fit, since it's still a 3UZFE.

Big Mack
Actually water i drove through was approx 2 ft of water. The intake is right where the grill is and all of the water splashed in there (almost like a little mini wave). I said i was sitting in about 1 ft of water after i crossed the intersection and the motor shut off.

Does anyone know where i could find out if the sc430 engine harness is compatible with mine. The sc430 engines seem to be a lot more common and about 1k cheaper.
Old 03-11-10, 06:19 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LALEX1
Actually water i drove through was approx 2 ft of water. The intake is right where the grill is and all of the water splashed in there (almost like a little mini wave). I said i was sitting in about 1 ft of water after i crossed the intersection and the motor shut off.

Does anyone know where i could find out if the sc430 engine harness is compatible with mine. The sc430 engines seem to be a lot more common and about 1k cheaper.
That makes sense.

If totaled, get rid of it and get something else.

E55 is what I'd get.
Old 03-11-10, 08:09 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

used v8 engines are pretty cheap and highly available. Check car-parts.com, I personally would throw and LS1 or LS2 in there and call it a day.
Old 03-11-10, 08:18 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

my opinion is that you should stop driving. why did you think you could drive through 2 feet of water?
Old 03-11-10, 09:02 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

Edit: Goodluck and rebuild the sucker!
Old 03-11-10, 09:47 PM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that LS1 Idea doesn't sound bad...However did you do this so that you could lame it on the insurance to get the upgrade that you wanted....because I don't go through lakes with my car because well it's a car and not a truck.
Old 03-11-10, 10:02 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are planning to part let us know.
Old 03-11-10, 11:03 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Iocca
my opinion is that you should stop driving. why did you think you could drive through 2 feet of water?

Originally Posted by SirBev
Yeah that LS1 Idea doesn't sound bad...However did you do this so that you could lame it on the insurance to get the upgrade that you wanted....because I don't go through lakes with my car because well it's a car and not a truck.
I love the way people go off subject and say pointless things. If you really want to know, other cars not trucks were going through it just fine, and it wasnt a steady 2ft flow, the 2ft was an estimate as the street had a rather large dip that i couldnt see right at the crosswalk. The next day the city was there adding asphalt to the dip. The car turned off as it went through the dip/crosswalk. It just happened to be the way the water splashed through the grill into the intake. And yes i could have waited a day for the water to clear, but i was in a rush and as I said before other cars were going through the intersection just fine. Also, no this is not an insurance scam to get an upgrade. I am more than capable of upgrading my engine with my own funds. Also I wasnt even planning on upgrading the engine, though i am considering it now. My question was if the 4.3 V8 from an SC430 would be a plug and play option for my gs. Seeing as how there were far more (and cheaper) sc430 engines available.
Also I still have an rmm supercharger for my gs430 that has not been installed.

Last edited by LALEX1; 03-11-10 at 11:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-11-10, 11:36 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

hey dude it happen to my gs4xx today too well not really i was drivig to work and it was raining pretty hard, so ther was a little flood but not really so i try to pass by but run on some of the water and my check engine TURN ON!! and i use K&N intake,(its not cold air) can it damage the engine???
Old 03-11-10, 11:57 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

If your engine is dead I am sure you will probably run into some minor electrical problems in the long run. Why take the risk. If your car get total just look for a new one. Start fresh. Why trouble yourself?
Old 03-12-10, 08:13 AM
cloead
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9k for an engine? you can buy a whole new car for that price.

Quick Reply: Water Damage Car probably totalled. I need opinions