GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can Rainy day DAMAGE your Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 11:44 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Can Rainy day DAMAGE your Engine?

hey guys, ok i was drivint to work this morning and it was raining, so on the way their i drove on the pretty big puddle of rainy water and my CHECK ENGINE TURN ON!! i have the K&N intake 57-series (not cold air) Can the water damage the engine. Heres in OREGON RAINS A LOTT!!! Thanks
Old 03-12-10, 07:17 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wont damage the engine itself but if a code was thrown check it at a local autozone for free to see what triggered the cel. the only thing i can prob think of by running into a puddle is maybe the impact of the water hit a wire? sensor? shorted something electrical that was exposed? could be alot of stuff till you get that cel checked.
Old 03-12-10, 11:40 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike813
it wont damage the engine itself but if a code was thrown check it at a local autozone for free to see what triggered the cel. the only thing i can prob think of by running into a puddle is maybe the impact of the water hit a wire? sensor? shorted something electrical that was exposed? could be alot of stuff till you get that cel checked.
hey thanks man! i will this week, hopfuly its all cool lol so the intake didnt turn the check ON!
Old 03-12-10, 11:53 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

how deep was that puddle u went over man. Maybe it damaged a sensor or something.
Old 03-13-10, 12:01 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

did you happen to speed through the puddle? how deep with the puddle? if you did happen to speed through it , lucky you didn't hydroplaned and only the cluster threw off a light. And i agree about a wire sensor acting up because it got soaked/etc. An undercarriage cover would be very helpful if yours came off already.
Old 03-13-10, 10:17 AM
kao
Driver School Candidate

Big puddle can cause hydroblow. So you are lucky man.
I think you should to dry out engine, air channel, sensors. In general all, appropriate parts.
Old 03-13-10, 08:45 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

hey guys ,, finaly its off rite before check up, on the way to the shop !! but on the way their i gave her 100mphs spin for a 15 sec, and its gone!! the puddel was prety big!!
Old 03-13-10, 10:06 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kao
Big puddle can cause hydroblow. So you are lucky man.
I think you should to dry out engine, air channel, sensors. In general all, appropriate parts.
There's no such thing as "hydroblow". Hydro-locking your engine is possibly if your intake was submerged under water or somehow water was sucked up into the intake tract. OP, what I would do in your case is to look at the ABS sensor wire and the vehicle speed sensor for any cracks or damage. It looks like the moisture threw the engine code but once the water evaporate and the sensors dry off, the problem goes away.
Old 03-14-10, 10:27 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

could be ur o2 sensors. there are tow hanging low under the car
Old 03-14-10, 11:35 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it wont damage the engine itself
You need to not give automotive advice. Ever.

Water does not compress. If it gets into the cylinder it can cause the following...

bent rod
broken piston
bent valve(s)
blow a headgasket
Old 03-14-10, 02:13 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

The simple answer is yes, it can. The chances of it happening are pretty small unless your an incompetent driver. Typically if you go in a large enough puddle to do damage to your engine, usually you also ruin other things as well. The ways you can damage an engine are to either submerge the engine in water to allow any exposed leaks or cracks to take on water. If water gets into the engine, you can do the about, which is known as hydro-locking a motor, usually resulting in bent or broken something. The way would be to dilute the oil to thin that it doesn't have the protective properties which allows for some metal to metal contact. The answer is yes, but I doubt you did anything serious, but word to the wise, avoid large puddles. CEL is a good sign, a damaged engine wouldn't likely run long enough to get a CEL.
Old 03-14-10, 06:47 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by McKrevice
You need to not give automotive advice. Ever.

Water does not compress. If it gets into the cylinder it can cause the following...

bent rod
broken piston
bent valve(s)
blow a headgasket
Of course that can happen only if the engine or intake is SUBMERGED. running even over about a foot of rain puddle would not hydrolock an engine/damage it internally like you claim (broken rod,piston,valve,headgasket), unless the op has a CAI hanging down towards the floor. or if that puddle reached anywhere near his front bumper. if thats the care then like the above poster said, he is an incompetent driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU3rjT8pTu8
^^ look no damage :P

Last edited by Mike813; 03-14-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-14-10, 07:23 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Of course that can happen only if the engine or intake is SUBMERGED. running even over about a foot of rain puddle would not hydrolock an engine/damage it internally like you claim (broken rod,piston,valve,headgasket), unless the op has a CAI hanging down towards the floor. or if that puddle reached anywhere near his front bumper. if thats the care then like the above poster said, he is an incompetent driver.

great advice. pause. NOT.

Water can get in your engine through puddles. And if enough gets in, it can damage it in the exact ways I mentioned. Your car does not need to be submerged to have it hydrolock. IF you're going fast enough, hit a large/deep enough puddle, your air cleaner can suck water into the intake manifold and damage your engine.
Old 03-14-10, 11:22 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

hey guys thanks for ur advices, the check engines is off now
Old 03-15-10, 12:06 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

I drove through a big *** puddle today... Put a kid in there and he could have gone swimming in it. I couldn't stop in time. It was too late when I finally realized it was a huge puddle that was about a foot and a half deep. I made it through without any problems and I was doing a good 35 mph. It felt like hitting a wall.

Quick Reply: Can Rainy day DAMAGE your Engine?