GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Found my Car 2000 GS400....well hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 10:49 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ac921ol
Response was, I paid 8 for it before i put all the work into it.
Id like to get 8 for it.
7750.00 for the car...hopefully i can have him budge to 7500 for it.

looks like i might be getting my GS today fellas..
congrats and good luck

what did he say bout the ball joints? she seems like a well maintained car

is it just me or do we all seem just as excited as you are? lol
Old 03-19-10, 11:01 AM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he said ball joints looked to be in perfect condition as the car hasnt been lowered, and that he will once again check once he puts it on the lift today.

and yeah im pretty excited, i have my S4 on a truck right now getting taken out to Washington State hopefully the new guy is going to love it, just like i did, also im heading to our beach house as this car is located in a small small town in delaware. lol
So hopefully this weekend is great.
- New Car to me
- Opening Weekend for a great beach in my area
- Next Week, get the car on a lift here and get it all worked out if any issues roll front fenders shave rear fenders and place my order. :-D

thanks for the help fellas, cant wait to see what all this lexus love is about on here!!!
Old 03-19-10, 11:32 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

he said ball joints looked to be in perfect condition as the car hasnt been lowered, and that he will once again check once he puts it on the lift today.
well honestly i don't care what he says, since its a 1998-2000 model that was PRONE to ball joint failure and its has 95k on it (they should be changed at 90k if not around then), i would personally change them out. a few hundred bucks it better than fubaring your new car

have u not seen this thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs-owners.html

post # 1, 71, 96, 213 for u visual learners (there are several other members who have messed up totaled theirs but arent in that thread)

so when you having the CL beach party?

Last edited by sakataj; 03-19-10 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 11:52 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting ready to do my ball joints this weekend. I actually asked my local garage to inspect them because I kept hearing a knocking underneath my feet. After reading the abovementioned posts about ball joints and looking at some of the pictures I took the car in. They called me later in the day and said the joints looked fine. When I picked up the car it wasn't 1 mile later that I was hearing the same knocking sound. I turned around and asked them to reinspect the joints while I watched. This time they put it up on a lift and used a pry bar angled underneath each ball joint. When they pulled down on the pry bar, it lifted the ball joint almost 1 inch! There isn't supposed to be more than a 1/16 of an inch of play in those joints.

Anyway, even though the seller says they're alright you might want to get them inspected after you buy the car. Sometimes you can't tell if the joints are going bad simply by grabbing the wheel on either side and trying to shake it. The car needs to be up in the air and something needs to be lifted up against the joint to really see if they need to be replaced. Sewell sells the joints for $120 so it might be worth getting them replaced.

Congratulations on the impending purchase! You're gonna love it! I'm excited for you!
Old 03-19-10, 12:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Fantastic! I'll be lookin' for an intro thread once you get her.
Old 03-19-10, 01:38 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you live in SoCal I have a Friend selling his 2000 GS400 fixed up.(body kit, rims, and IS-F style exhaust.) and he only wants 10 for it.
There's some pix of it in my profile....take a look.
Old 03-19-10, 01:40 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusGSF
If you live in SoCal I have a Friend selling his 2000 GS400 fixed up.(body kit, rims, and IS-F style exhaust.) and he only wants 10 for it.
He lives in Virginia.
Old 03-19-10, 01:44 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
well honestly i don't care what he says, since its a 1998-2000 model that was PRONE to ball joint failure and its has 95k on it (they should be changed at 90k if not around then), i would personally change them out. a few hundred bucks it better than fubaring your new car

have u not seen this thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs-owners.html

post # 1, 71, 96, 213 for u visual learners (there are several other members who have messed up totaled theirs but arent in that thread)

so when you having the CL beach party?
Very true, i do plan on getting them swapped out, didnt plan on driving thousands of miles on them..so once it gets back to VA with me, ill get it on a lift and see whats going on myself, and swap them out.

CL beach party, sounds about right, a bunch of the audi/vw crew stayed at my place when H20 was going on in Ocean City, Maryland, so yeah i can see a CL beach partyyyyyy happenin if your in the DMV

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Getting ready to do my ball joints this weekend. I actually asked my local garage to inspect them because I kept hearing a knocking underneath my feet. After reading the abovementioned posts about ball joints and looking at some of the pictures I took the car in. They called me later in the day and said the joints looked fine. When I picked up the car it wasn't 1 mile later that I was hearing the same knocking sound. I turned around and asked them to reinspect the joints while I watched. This time they put it up on a lift and used a pry bar angled underneath each ball joint. When they pulled down on the pry bar, it lifted the ball joint almost 1 inch! There isn't supposed to be more than a 1/16 of an inch of play in those joints.

Anyway, even though the seller says they're alright you might want to get them inspected after you buy the car. Sometimes you can't tell if the joints are going bad simply by grabbing the wheel on either side and trying to shake it. The car needs to be up in the air and something needs to be lifted up against the joint to really see if they need to be replaced. Sewell sells the joints for $120 so it might be worth getting them replaced.

Congratulations on the impending purchase! You're gonna love it! I'm excited for you!
Sewell seems like the place to order my OEM lexus parts, im assuming i only need 2 ball joints for the 2 front wheels and ill inspect my control arms and suspension components at that time and just place an order for the parts.

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Fantastic! I'll be lookin' for an intro thread once you get her.
Yeah i can wait, just went to bank pulled out the cash, waitin for my ride and little bro, and were off to the beach/car purchase for me

Originally Posted by LexusGSF
Im not into buying other peoples work, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-19-10, 01:48 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah i can wait, just went to bank pulled out the cash, waitin for my ride and little bro, and were off to the beach/car purchase for me.
You're paying for it with just straight up cash? Damn...that's pretty baller status right there.

Well, I did buy my GS with a check.
Old 03-19-10, 01:50 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

Im not into buying other peoples work, but thanks for the heads up.
Yea, np...i understand im like that to.
Old 03-19-10, 01:52 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

yeah, hopefully once he sees bank stacks he will take 7400-7500. *hopefully :-D
Old 03-19-10, 02:23 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

yeah, hopefully once he sees bank stacks he will take 7400-7500. *hopefully :-D
or hopefully not rob u.........
Old 03-19-10, 02:40 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah true. That's kinda dangerous walking around with that much cash...
Old 03-19-10, 02:48 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Yeah true. That's kinda dangerous walking around with that much cash...
not worried about that, going with, with two other people and meeting at his dealership, he also works for the state police as a recovery driver.
Old 03-20-10, 04:51 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

not worried about that, going with, with two other people and meeting at his dealership, he also works for the state police as a recovery driver.
Update

went to look at the car Friday night, knowing never buy a car at nightime, I told him I'd meet him today (Saturday) at 12 noon, I called him at 11 to verify, no answer only got a text at 12, he said "I'm out on two call, (towing) he also thought about it and i think you should look at the other car, and I won't take less then 8k cause it's in great condition and I don't mind keeping it."

My response was
well I'm on my way to ocean city since you didn't pick up at 11.

His response was
"sorry, I was on a call a call and let me know whichever."

from waht I saw the car is in real good condition. Interior real clean, could use a detail, and exterior pretty flawless. Only issue was OEM spoiler was loose and would rattle.

He also said he could throw it on a lift at the dealership and let me look at it, and check the ball joints and inspect.

As of now, we left off at I would hit him back and let him know it's been the whole day (8hours) since our last communication.

*drunk as hell, at the beach back at my house with my friends dog who is at the bar (dog owner is at beach bar) with everyone at my house. Man I'm weak sauce. :-(
What would you guys do???

Quick Reply: Found my Car 2000 GS400....well hopefully