GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thanks to all the "Drifters" i screw'd up my Car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-02, 04:47 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LexusRules
here is the sig:

I love it, you kick ***! Thanks so much, how do you do that, I have Photoshop now, but can't use it worth *****, it that what you used. I wish I could make my own like that. Very nicely done...
Old 06-02-02, 05:13 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it's easier to practice drifting in the snow or maybe even sand at the beach but you gotta be careful not to bury yourself. if you do bury yourself, a rug or towel might be a good idea to get out of it. anyway the idea is to practice slipping on purpose.
Old 06-02-02, 05:22 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i woudln't suggest sand... a very rainy day if u dont get snow.. i first started drifting in snow.. that was a great day

glad you liek the sig man! post it inthe Clublexus gallery then get the URL for it and put it in ur sig.. its not working right now

yup i used photoshop for it hard to learn but once u do its awsome

EDIT:

i noticed u were trying URL it from this thread, u cant becasuse somehow it shows up not as a file, go to the CL gallery and upload the pic, then right click it there and it will work

Last edited by LexusRules; 06-02-02 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-02-02, 06:15 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sasha buddy.. Can you slow down the spinning of your car.. Its giving me VERTIGO..

Very cool signature none-the-less.. Let me know when you want to do the skid pad test and we'll set it up..

Camren,

Just have to shake my head buddy.. What the hell were you thinking.. Oh well I won't make you feel worse but I think you need to go back and read Superjoe's messages of what happened to his car for some perspective on what not to do with your GS..

Hope you get it all fixed up soon and back to its Big Pimpin Style!
Old 06-02-02, 06:24 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

for sure man.. my mom is a bit weird on me driving with other people i thought she would be cool, so it might have to wait a while till she gives me the ok.

we need to setup a 100ft radius skid pad with cones and all that...
Old 06-02-02, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Uhhh, maybe a larger space, and it would help a lot more if it was wet.

Hope your rim is okay dude.
Old 06-02-02, 08:24 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

please slow down the spinning car. its gonna make me "earl"!!!
Old 06-02-02, 08:48 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Why would you want to drift in your GS3 with 20's and not the right suspension...
If you wanted to try drifting, you should have gotten a rent-a-car to practice on...
Old 06-02-02, 09:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry about that man, but then again if you want to drift you get some DRIFTER rims (17 inch light wheels, fat tires.)
Old 06-02-02, 10:00 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

Controlled oversteer is fun and hard to get it just right. I guess thats what the new age definition of the term "Drift" is.
Oversteering is oversteering, and in the "old" : ) days, had nothing to do with the term drift. Still looks kinda fun though.
Old 06-02-02, 10:13 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ming 2.7T
Controlled oversteer is fun and hard to get it just right. I guess thats what the new age definition of the term "Drift" is.
Oversteering is oversteering, and in the "old" : ) days, had nothing to do with the term drift. Still looks kinda fun though.

try understeer, buddy
Old 06-02-02, 10:29 PM
ezlyf
Driver

Is understeer the same as losing the rear end on a sharp turn? Im still unclear to the term "drift"
Old 06-02-02, 10:39 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Understeer: Front slides out

Oversteer: Rear slides out

4 Wheel drift: F & R slide out together. Do not try this at home !

\
Old 06-02-02, 10:53 PM
SC_Speed
Rookie

Oversteer is what I sometimes think of as "turning too much"... and although that isnt exactly what it is, that is the basic idea. The rear end loses traction while the front tires maintain contact. In a rear drive car, oversteer can be controlled with the throttle or simply steering in the direction you want to go. Mild oversteer tends to be viewed as a positive handling trait (ex. porsche) although too much oversteer can be bad and cause the car to spin out.

Understeer is the opposite of oversteer. It occurs when the front tires lose contact thus causing the car to continue in a straight path. It is difficult to recover from and significantly more dangerous than oversteer. It is very difficult to simply steer out of and usually means that one must slow down until traction is regained. Understeer is BAD. I remember my first experience with understeer when I took a higway offramp a little too fast and hit a patch of oil just as I exited onto the ramp. Luckily I was able to slow down, regain control of the car and turn quickly before smashing into the guard rail. Nevertheless you can see how understeer can be very dangerous. A car that understeers often is not a good car to take corners in. Although my car (sc300) is generally known for its oversteer I have understeered it in a few corners so be careful out there.

True drifing, however, is neither oversteer nor understeer but a pint at which all the tires are at equilibrium in a four wheel drift. Ideally this allows the driver to exit a corner more efficiently. If you watch the WRC you will see them drifing around high speed corners. Often times people consider oversteer to be drifting and although it can sometimes be benificial in low speed cornering, it does not achieve the same effect as a true drift. More than anything oversteer simply looks cool.
Old 06-02-02, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by SC_Speed
Oversteer is what I sometimes think of as "turning too much"... and although that isnt exactly what it is, that is the basic idea. The rear end loses traction while the front tires maintain contact. In a rear drive car, oversteer can be controlled with the throttle or simply steering in the direction you want to go. Mild oversteer tends to be viewed as a positive handling trait (ex. porsche) although too much oversteer can be bad and cause the car to spin out.

Understeer is the opposite of oversteer. It occurs when the front tires lose contact thus causing the car to continue in a straight path. It is difficult to recover from and significantly more dangerous than oversteer. It is very difficult to simply steer out of and usually means that one must slow down until traction is regained. Understeer is BAD. I remember my first experience with understeer when I took a higway offramp a little too fast and hit a patch of oil just as I exited onto the ramp. Luckily I was able to slow down, regain control of the car and turn quickly before smashing into the guard rail. Nevertheless you can see how understeer can be very dangerous. A car that understeers often is not a good car to take corners in. Although my car (sc300) is generally known for its oversteer I have understeered it in a few corners so be careful out there.

True drifing, however, is neither oversteer nor understeer but a pint at which all the tires are at equilibrium in a four wheel drift. Ideally this allows the driver to exit a corner more efficiently. If you watch the WRC you will see them drifing around high speed corners. Often times people consider oversteer to be drifting and although it can sometimes be benificial in low speed cornering, it does not achieve the same effect as a true drift. More than anything oversteer simply looks cool.
excellent breakdown there

Quick Reply: Thanks to all the "Drifters" i screw'd up my Car!