GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone tried the Remanufactured AC Compressors on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 07:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Actually, the original compressor was bad. I screwed up when re-charging because my scale wasn't working properly so I couldn't accurately measure the amount being charged.

Maybe you can explain this weird phenomenon, I've never had this happen before. When I initially charged it after the new compressor was installed. All pressures were spot on, around 30psi low side and 175-195ish or so high side. He drove around for a few days and brought it back because it wasn't cooling right. I checked the pressure again and high side was skyrocketing at like 275-300 or so which was causing the pressure switch to turn the compressor off. It's an enclosed system so I don't know where the excess came from. Both days it was around the same temp 70F outside.
to really help diagnose this i need the low side pressure on the day the high side sky rocketed...but i will make a educated guess.sounds like you have a restriction somewhere...could be a few things. most common being the cooling fan isn't working correctly or even possibly a screwed up expansion valve. i had a expansion valve "back up" on my in my sc400 a long time ago...it sucks and typically is the last diagnosis after replacing a compressor or a drier (as a dirty/clogged drier can do the same thing)

here is a little easy maint tip i have found to help.

i typically tell people to go to a HVAC supply place AT LEAST once a year and buy a can of foaming coil clean to clean your radiator/oil cooler. spray it on, let it foam up and force the dirt/bugs/etc out, wash it off (repeat if needed/desired) and your car will "breathe" a tad better. remember a dirty condenser will also cause restrictions if it gets dirty enough
Old 04-05-10, 09:33 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The condenser is brand new. It was replaced the same time the compressor was swapped. Nothing wrong with it, the owner just wanted it swapped out. Maybe, it was just error on my part and I overcharged it a bit. He hasn't complained of any issues so I'm sure that was the problem anyway.
Old 04-05-10, 02:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The condenser is brand new. It was replaced the same time the compressor was swapped. Nothing wrong with it, the owner just wanted it swapped out. Maybe, it was just error on my part and I overcharged it a bit. He hasn't complained of any issues so I'm sure that was the problem anyway.
hmm, didn't know you changed the condenser. what bout the drier and expansion valve? odd to change the condenser if nothing is wrong with it and ESPECIALLY if u didnt change the expansion valve/drier, and i say odd for the labor in changing a non broken part.

lol, it happens....we all have overcharged something. hell with r410-a the residences/commercial buildings use now (i say use now, although 410-a has been out for years its now mandatory on all new equipment manufactured since this year), you MUST charge by superheat and sub-cool and people are overcharging the mess out of them, trying to use the old method of "feeling" the lines. long as its working out ok for him it should be fine....IF he starts having issues i would bet my bottom dollar he has a restriction someplace (i.e. the expansion valve or drier) but like i said as long as right now its working ok just forget bout it.

oh i wont be coming to DFW the 16th but i should be re-planning my trip there sometime after-wards. might have to have you introduce me to that junkyard you always go to for some of my harder to source parts.
Old 07-05-10, 10:02 AM
poohunny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn...I shoulda searched a bit more. I just bought this one off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=201912190023

It's a remanned one that I am taking to a shop to replace. Has anyone had good experiences with the remanned ones? After reading this thread I want to return it and just get an OEM one...
Old 07-05-10, 03:45 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope mine doesnt go out seems like these tend to wear out also
Old 07-05-10, 06:35 PM
poohunny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah man....although mine didn't go until 161k or so on the original Denso. Your auto lineup are good strong choices (in your sig)...I had a 98 TT that I still regret selling to this day at 76k....86's are fun choices since even before initial D...and the GS is self explanatory. The Legend is the only front driver, but one heckuva respectable choice! I had a TL before the GS...and Acura sedans are practically bulletproof!

But yeah, AC compressor dying the day before the week of a heat wave is supposed to start. Darwin at his best!
Old 03-01-17, 04:51 AM
Voz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS300NEGRO
Where can I find a good compressor and a condensor? Thanks .......good that all turned out well for you.
Hey guys,

Running into the same issue of my 1999 GS300 AC blowing hot air both the sides. Took it to an auto electrician / mechanic here in Sydney - he did some pressure check and suggested that compressor may have to be replaced. He then said we can try changing the valve first (is it the expansion valve?) and see how we go.. Not sure what to do here. Was looking at Compressor, Drier and Valve kit on eBay see link below.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-A-C-C.../201276644280?

Not sure if this is OEM i.e., the right thing to buy? Please can you have a look and advise?

Also, should I change the valve/cap first or change the compressor, drier and valve all in one go? Please suggest.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-04-17, 08:10 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A/c compressor

Cheap is expensive. Buy lexus/toyota reman.
Old 03-04-17, 11:04 PM
InkedUpEB
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 99 GS300 with 186k miles and I have an AC issue myself. Haven't had a chance to really get into figuring out what the issues are but the seller mentioned it was the compressor. I'm subscribed to this topic.
Old 03-08-17, 01:51 AM
Voz
Driver School Candidate

Default New compressor

Update guys - I took it to another auto electrician who checked and confirmed that the compressor is completely gone (don't know what he means by that) and needs replacement. He said original compressor kit (eg. Denso, not sure of the exact brand) will cost AUD 670 + AUD 280 for labour = $950 in total. He gave me an option to go with wrecked compressor cost AUD 550 including labour. When I asked few details about the wrecked one, he said seller don't know have to see whether it's suitable for my car.

Looking for suggestions here on whether to go with the used compressor (saving $400) or a brand new one? On a side note, I'm planning to use this car for 2 to 3 years only. Please suggest.

Thanks for your time!
Old 03-08-17, 06:12 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

its a crap shoot, the used one can last 1 week or 10 years, id go with a new one.