GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The K&N Intake GOOD-BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 06:45 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

K&N sells a cleaning kit for around $15. It comes with cleaner as well as oil and instructions on how to use both. It would be a good idea to pick up a kit, also, don't use brake cleaner on the filter, you will damage it.
Old 04-21-10, 07:07 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N = crap.
Old 04-21-10, 07:49 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McKrevice
K&N = crap.
Why do you say this? I love my K&N it's working great. Only bad things i heard about them were there filters. But im going to change to Amsoil pretty soon anyways.
Old 04-21-10, 08:05 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Why do you say this? I love my K&N it's working great. Only bad things i heard about them were there filters. But im going to change to Amsoil pretty soon anyways.
Because of the design. Why do people get them?

- They have heard K&N has been the bomb because everyone owns one.
- They flow more than the horrible stock intake.

What happens when you let more air in? More crap gets into your engine and will eventually wear on the piston rings.

Totally not worth the trade off. I have a sheet done by some engineers that tested a bunch of different filters an K&N is always at the bottom. I think the one that flowed the most and filtered best was S&B filters?

I have seen forced induction applications gain 25hp from a K&N which is great, but again, not worth the trade off IMO.
Old 04-21-10, 08:19 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Well I have one and decided to get one because of reasons you stated but haven't had any issues. As for the S&B filters you mentioned, I've never heard of them. I just went on their site and I don't see filters for my car.
Old 04-21-10, 08:56 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S&B filters are for trucks well iam not sure if they make for cars like ours, but i order one S&B intake for my Brothers 08 Dodge Ram 25000 Turbo diasel, and it came today , so i cant tell diffrence beteween K&N and S&B lol the filters seems to be the same and both plastic tubes lol
Old 04-22-10, 09:28 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Well I have one and decided to get one because of reasons you stated but haven't had any issues. As for the S&B filters you mentioned, I've never heard of them. I just went on their site and I don't see filters for my car.

You probably won’t notice the issues until you either over oil it unintentionally and it gums up your air intake sensors, you clean it wrong, and believe me, many people do, never ever use compressed air. Or you start blowing blue smoke out of your tailpipes indicating shot piston rings. If K&N Filters are so great, I am almost certain the engineers that do the R&D on cars would make something similar, based on the claims of more MPG and more HP and Torkes. One thing that K&N is good at is marketing.

And just to give you guys an example, Mobile 1 Synthetic is recommended and comes standard on numerous high end cars. So the engineers did the research and deemed that particular type of oil is best for that application. To my knowledge, not one car manufacturer recommends any sort of air filter besides the stock paper, and that’s there to maintain engine longevity.
Old 04-22-10, 11:21 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you. But, The problem is that car companys arent always putting the best performance things in there cars. They usually put very restrictive filters(paper), Exhausts and headers because the general public doesnt car about a few extra horses and usually doesnt like the extra sound produced by an intake and exhaust. (Look at the size of our mufflers for example) And the way the exhaust manifolds are built. An engine that runs better is an engine that lasts longer, being able to correctly flow clean cool air in and exhaust out helps the engine 'breathe' and therefore aslows it too run better. I never oil my filter but instead have a cloth wrap from K&N around it, for an extra layer of protection. McKrevice you sound like you know alot about cars, the reason why auto companies put in a paper filter is they work "good enough" but are cheap for the dealer. Not only do you have to replace them every 15,000 miles but they charge you like $50 at the dealer. Instead you can get a reusable one for less than that, which will last the lifetime of the car. The amount of particle penetration is not enough to cause any worry in Street Cars.

Originally Posted by McKrevice
You probably won’t notice the issues until you either over oil it unintentionally and it gums up your air intake sensors, you clean it wrong, and believe me, many people do, never ever use compressed air. Or you start blowing blue smoke out of your tailpipes indicating shot piston rings. If K&N Filters are so great, I am almost certain the engineers that do the R&D on cars would make something similar, based on the claims of more MPG and more HP and Torkes. One thing that K&N is good at is marketing.

And just to give you guys an example, Mobile 1 Synthetic is recommended and comes standard on numerous high end cars. So the engineers did the research and deemed that particular type of oil is best for that application. To my knowledge, not one car manufacturer recommends any sort of air filter besides the stock paper, and that’s there to maintain engine longevity.
Old 04-22-10, 12:46 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Some car companies do cater to performance, some don’t. Reason with the GS on Exhausts…they have to meet the EPA mandates in every state. They wanted the GS to be as quiet as possible. Exhaust for the most part will not harm an engine, unless you have a header leak which may burn the exhaust valves. But that’s besides the point.

I am not saying all reusable filters are bad. However, K&N is near the bottom. And you are correct, an engine that does not have to work as hard, meaning all engines are just huge air pumps, will indeed last longer. But if you allow more air in, along with bits of debris, that obviously is bad.

I have a K&N on my Mustang, and my piston rings are shot. I’ve had it on there since 1998, and now my car even with 20w50 blows a ton of blue smoke, and is at half compression in 6 out of 8 cylinders. I did a compression test when I bought it was even and high across the board. I am attributing this to the filter after seeing the results I spoke about. I will look tonight to see if I have that sheet still.