GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 12:39 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexy_Lexy
Hey I'm not familiar with engines like that. Can you give me more info on the one you're referring to?
Very similar to your current engine, except it's turbo. A few components in it are slightly different to handle the turbo.
Old 03-21-10, 12:49 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLS
OMG that's insane. How much would this cost and do I have to go to a manual tranny?
Old 03-21-10, 12:50 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Very similar to your current engine, except it's turbo. A few components in it are slightly different to handle the turbo.
What about my tranny?
Old 03-21-10, 12:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

What about my tranny?
I believe your auto tranny should be fine although if it were me, I would go manual.
Old 03-21-10, 12:55 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
I believe your auto tranny should be fine although if it were me, I would go manual.
Yeah I feel u but can't spend money on a tranny right now. So do I just drop the engine in and that's it or are there other parts involved in the swap also?
Old 03-21-10, 12:58 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hey Brian this one is in NJ, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-21-10, 12:59 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLS
DAMN FOO!! lol I agree go for the GTE
Old 03-21-10, 01:06 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
Yeah I just looked at that and I can totally aford it as well. I'm talking to my mechanic about it. He actually works for Lexus and has done all the work on my car. That motor is insane!
Old 03-21-10, 01:07 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea i dont know what u gotta do to the Harness though...maybe message JeffTsai?
Old 03-21-10, 01:09 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My engine was being serviced and while the parts were off (ex: timing belt), the remote start somehow tried to start the car and destroyed the entire engine.
Sorry to hear about your engine but it's your remote installer. There should have been a wire connected to the hood open/close sensor to disable the remote starter anytime the hood is open.
Old 03-21-10, 01:12 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Originally Posted by ntran18
Sorry to hear about your engine but it's your remote installer. There should have been a wire connected to the hood open/close sensor to disable the remote starter anytime the hood is open.
The hood was closed at the time when this happened. It was just sitting. The battery shouldve been disconnected though. My mechanic's fault so he's putting up $1000 towards the new engine.
Old 03-21-10, 01:12 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yea i dont know what u gotta do to the Harness though...maybe message JeffTsai?
Yeah I need to get all the info on what to do.
Old 03-21-10, 01:56 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I need to get all the info on what to do.
Message JeffTsai, He's the man when it comes to this stuff. Sometime down the road i might be doing a 2jzGTE swap myself. You can keep your transmission the same but if your going with high boost and bigg turbos it'd be smart to build your tranny. The awesome thing about turbocharged motors is that with the right turbos and tuning you can pretty much get as much horsepower as you'd like. Anyways good luck with everything man, feel free to pm if you have any questions.
Old 03-21-10, 02:04 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

The GTE swap is not that cheap. It's not just buy an engine drop it in. There's lots of custom work that needs to be done. Your stock tranny will only be a temporary solution. It won't be able to handle the power of the GTE. Even if you get that engine without the aristo tranny it might not bolt up without any problems. The GTE swap is so coveted because it's expensive, also it's illegal in CA... but we have strict emissions, I'm not familiar with NY. I would not go the GTE route if you're on a budget. I would also not buy a GTE motor without having someone knowledgeable fully inspect it. PLEASE do your research, I recommend you talk with someone who has done this swap before. Everyone I know who has attempted this swap has gotten a GTE engine at a great price, but once they start the project they get bogged down with tiny parts they need or modifications that need to be made... and end up spending what the swap is estimated at. This swap costs around $6k to get the job done right, it can be cheaper depending on what you want after the swap (Single AKA manual tranny). PLEASE DO NOT THINK THIS SWAP IS EASY. Also, do not listen to any members who tell you information that is assumed, or use say statements like "it should". Talk with experienced members that have done the swap. Never assume anything about car parts will EVER be cheap.
Old 03-21-10, 02:10 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

In addition. Think about what kind of driver you are. Was the GS300 fast enough for you? What would you use the power of the GTE for? Are you going to be driving fast on the streets or occasionally track the car? Remember the GTE stock from Japan is only 280 hp. So you'd be spending 6k on something you could get by either turboing your stock 2JZ-GE OR getting a GS4 with the 1UZ... which have 300 hp, and no turbo lag. I would only suggest people get a GTE if:

1) It's legal in your state
2) You want 400 hp+ and you'll use it, commuting and grocery shopping doesn't need 300hp
3) You've got a buttload of money or you can do the swap yourself
4) You're well educated on the mechanics of the engine and you maintain your car meticulously

If you do want more than 300, it'll cost a lot more than just buying a new turbo and flopping it in there. Especially if you want to do it reliably. Last thing you want is to have another blown engine on your hands and it being your fault. Fuel, internals, tranny modifications, rear end all need to be accounted for, then you have computers to deal with. All in all just do your research and make sure you have the funds and the desire to go through with this hassle some swap. Can you live without your car for an extended period of time? Once they start one week might turn into months... waiting on parts to arrive is the worst.

In conclusion, just something to think about. You can't go fast without a suspension. Go fast with stock suspension and you're asking to wreck your whole car... not just the engine. Coilovers are at least 700, sways around 600 new, and that's just the beginning.

My advice? Buy a replacement motor from a respectable source and go on like it never happened.

Last edited by Baliztik; 03-21-10 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine destroyed