GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 02:53 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Well Said!
Old 03-21-10, 02:58 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want a rather cheap and easy route. you can order a used engine from autozone with a warranty. It comes on a palette all he would have to do is remove and replace. Probably not the cheapest way go find a used engine but it will be delivered to the shops door without getting your hands dirty at all.

Last edited by ExileLakai; 03-21-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 02:59 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
^^ Well Said!
Agreed.

Thanks for the reality check, Baliztik.
Old 03-21-10, 04:30 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Find a lawyer. not an engine.
make the shop source out the engine.
Talk to the shop some more...tell the owner they should have disconnected the battery when working on your car, and that their insurance should cover for all of the engine repairs, not just $1k. If the company says no, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by CPMD; 03-21-10 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 04:31 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Originally Posted by Baliztik
In addition. Think about what kind of driver you are. Was the GS300 fast enough for you? What would you use the power of the GTE for? Are you going to be driving fast on the streets or occasionally track the car? Remember the GTE stock from Japan is only 280 hp. So you'd be spending 6k on something you could get by either turboing your stock 2JZ-GE OR getting a GS4 with the 1UZ... which have 300 hp, and no turbo lag. I would only suggest people get a GTE if:

1) It's legal in your state
2) You want 400 hp+ and you'll use it, commuting and grocery shopping doesn't need 300hp
3) You've got a buttload of money or you can do the swap yourself
4) You're well educated on the mechanics of the engine and you maintain your car meticulously

If you do want more than 300, it'll cost a lot more than just buying a new turbo and flopping it in there. Especially if you want to do it reliably. Last thing you want is to have another blown engine on your hands and it being your fault. Fuel, internals, tranny modifications, rear end all need to be accounted for, then you have computers to deal with. All in all just do your research and make sure you have the funds and the desire to go through with this hassle some swap. Can you live without your car for an extended period of time? Once they start one week might turn into months... waiting on parts to arrive is the worst.

In conclusion, just something to think about. You can't go fast without a suspension. Go fast with stock suspension and you're asking to wreck your whole car... not just the engine. Coilovers are at least 700, sways around 600 new, and that's just the beginning.

My advice? Buy a replacement motor from a respectable source and go on like it never happened.
Great info Baliztik. Didn't think about all of that. I'll definitely talk to someone who's done it first. Thanks.
Old 03-21-10, 05:49 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

well cant you run the 2jzgte with the aristo tranny?
Old 03-21-10, 05:52 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexy_Lexy
My engine was being serviced and while the parts were off (ex: timing belt), the remote start somehow tried to start the car and destroyed the entire engine.
sorry to hear that happen to ya man
Old 03-21-10, 06:14 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not fix the motor?
Most likely, all that happened is you bent a few valves.
Have your mechanic pull the head and take it to the machine shop...
Old 03-21-10, 08:16 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FrankT
Why not fix the motor?
Most likely, all that happened is you bent a few valves.
Have your mechanic pull the head and take it to the machine shop...
Old 03-21-10, 11:02 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sexy_Lexy
My engine was being serviced and while the parts were off (ex: timing belt), the remote start somehow tried to start the car and destroyed the entire engine.
Sorry to hear the bad mishap man. But if you're scrapping the engine, holler at me and I'll pay shipping for the entire engine. I could use the block as a spare to build a spare motor.
Old 03-22-10, 08:33 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Whoever serviced your car is an idiot.

First and foremost whilst working on a car....disconnect the battery.
Yes, whoever worked on your car is an idiot.... Major idiot. I'd really try taking the shop to a small claims court if possible. By the time you fix your existing engine, or buy a new/used one, your well over a $1,000 in parts and labor, I would see what you can do as far as litigation.
Old 03-22-10, 10:12 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Since the shop is only covering 1k, just replace the stock motor, or as some have said, see about repairing the damages. But I myself wouldn't settle for 1k!!! The shop needs to do whatever it takes to repair/replace the motor with no cost to you, regardless if it's your personal mechanic. Actually, since it is your personal mechanic, they should be more than willing to do this, otherwise I'd start looking for another mechanic.
Old 03-22-10, 10:17 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow 1k... they are not helping you at all...
Old 03-22-10, 11:22 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Haha, you guys busting out my old YouTube videos. I need to post up some new ones. The car has some seriously explosive power now, 150+ on the speedo sneaks up out of nowhere very easily.

As for Sexylexy, count and tally up your budget and then see if you're willing to live with the extra hassle of a swapped car. I sent you a PM about this already, but I'll repost it for everyone else here.

Things to note when you go GTE:
- Car will no longer pass emissions, you must find a "guy" to pass you and give you an inspection/smog sticker or certification.

- Since this is not the original engine, it will have to be custom wired into the car. This also means you will have to take it back to the same guy that installed the engine in the event something goes south. Taking it to any random shop will just result in blank stares of how to proceed because it is a custom non-factory setup at this point. Even the Toyota/Lexus dealer will not touch the car if something is wrong. Either have a very good relation/communication with your tuner/mechanic that is doing the swap or learn to do it yourself. I can't stress how important this is because something will eventually need to be mended/replaced/repaired/or just plain old maintenance.

- As the other guys mentioned, the waiting game. Do you have another car to drive while the GS is being modifed with the new engine? Personally I have all the parts, hoses, wiring, lines, etc in stock to do plenty of motor swaps. I know what exactly is needed and I have all the little special parts and such on my shelf. A local shop less familiar with the swap may not have the necessary parts, and ordering little parts here and there from Japan gets VERY expensive with the cost of part itself+shipping and also very time consuming.

- The desire to upgrade will overcome you no matter how much you resist. Eventually you will want to go single turbo, then that will lead to requring a transmissions upgrade, then fuel system/pumps, then standalone.....etc. The list goes on and on. This is not a cheap game to play, but IMO it is a rewarding experience.

Some people may argue with me on this, but to PROPERLY do a GTE swap with all maintenance done and parts upgraded/replaced. It will cost to At least $3-4k just in parts alone if you're doing a stock twin 2JZ-GTE VVTi. The price only goes up from there when you decide to go single turbo and upgrade other things. Then factor in the labor of at least $3-6k on top of parts depending on how much stuff you want done to the engine. Most guys spend around the $10k mark to make a solid and reliable 500rwhp.

So again, check your priorities to see if you really want to dive into the GTE game. It requires extensive monetary investment, time, and the occasional quirks.

If you don't have a serious desire to go fast, just find a used but working stock GS300 engine from a junkyard and have that put in. If you want to go fast, be prepared to tally up your budget.
Old 03-22-10, 12:36 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, Bliz and JeFF, my motor isnt blown, but hell i've been tempted to do that swap, and reading the post you gave, makes me wanna think twice, thats true advice there guys, not just some guys sitting at home tying "JUST DO IT" ,

Sexy Lexi- i would recomend finding a stock GS300 as well, sure you can get it less than 1K and im sure the labor is his, and run with that

Quick Reply: Engine destroyed