GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 01:59 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay folks, he's driving my Lex for now. He understands how involved doing the swap is. The mechanic is reputable(15+ yrs working with Lexus), the remote start was the problem and we understood that **** happens. The mechanic did feel bad of course and wanted to absorb some of the cost. Any suggestions towards increasing horsepower without doing turbo? It already has SRT intake and Borla exhaust. Any suggestions would be appreciative.
Old 03-22-10, 04:44 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AsGs300
Wow, Bliz and JeFF, my motor isnt blown, but hell i've been tempted to do that swap, and reading the post you gave, makes me wanna think twice, thats true advice there guys, not just some guys sitting at home tying "JUST DO IT" ,

Sexy Lexi- i would recomend finding a stock GS300 as well, sure you can get it less than 1K and im sure the labor is his, and run with that
Sorry, I wasn't trying to discourage anyone. However, I was just trying to give a real world point of view from someone who has actually been there done that. In my case, I did everything myself and I still spent a LOT of money. I just want to pre-warn everyone that is thinking about doing the swap. This way we won't see posts like, 70% through swap and I give up...going back to stock...or a post like car runs like crap, keeps breaking down. Selling car or returning back to stock.

There are guys that try to get away with doing stuff on the cheap side, but IT WILL come back to bite you in the *** later down the road....either that or it will nibble at you slowly in terms of random problems here and there.

Anyways, my point is that the cost is high, there are quirks time to time, and the hassles are there. In the end, if you asked me if I would still do it again. You bet I would

Originally Posted by spencedigg
Okay folks, he's driving my Lex for now. He understands how involved doing the swap is. The mechanic is reputable(15+ yrs working with Lexus), the remote start was the problem and we understood that **** happens. The mechanic did feel bad of course and wanted to absorb some of the cost. Any suggestions towards increasing horsepower without doing turbo? It already has SRT intake and Borla exhaust. Any suggestions would be appreciative.
Yeah, I understand that from time to time stuff happens. Especially when it comes to something that is aftermarket and non-factory. It's a bit difficult in these situations because that was an outside factor(remote starter) that is not normally existent on a stock vehicle. Was the mechanic pre-warned about it? I think in your case, the engine didn't really get damaged that badly. Just a few bent valves, tell your mechanic to take the head to a machine shop and have the top end re-built. After that, your car should be like new again.

EDIT: Forgot to add. Your question about performance NA mods for the GS3....IMO it's not worth it for what you're going to spend. At the very best, you will gain 50hp after spending $2-3k or so. Those mods include: camshaft upgrade to brian crower 264's, aftermarket headers, mid pipe, exhaust, intake, and good tune on a AEM FIC.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 03-22-10 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 09:08 AM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input and concern. I'm not going to do the swap(at least not now) I'm wondering what I could do as far as dropping a turbo in the 2jz motor. Any suggestions? BTW, I'm not looking to go crazy.