GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Locked outta my Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 03:28 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well i do have the key and access to get in the car, the problem is the cables to the LOCK is undone, as i mentioned, freakin stereo shop bootleged my car with after market pump looking deals , well the cable wire came off and now the door is shut and i cant get to the cables because , well the door is closed! cant really remove the panel? should i pry open the wood trim???? kinda scared of doin so
Old 03-23-10, 04:41 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't pry the wood off, it's screwed on and there's still door panel behind it (at least on the front doors, I'd assume rears are the same), won't get you anywhere and you'll destroy your wood.

You hope it doesn't come to this but you may need to see if you can find a part of the door panel you can replace by itself, maybe the handle and lock piece and break it off to get access to the cable. If not, I believe door panels go for around $100 on Ebay, saw some tan ones the other day.

My driver's door was stuck shut over the weekend as the connections on the cables were broken and it turns out I couldn't rig it up to work properly. Trying to reinstall panels after changing speakers. In my case something binded up and the actuator wasn't working right, the key didn't work, I thought I was gonna have to break something. I was lucky that I hadn't put any screws in the door panel and was able to pull it up enough to get at the cable. Even that didn't work initially, finally got it with one person pulling the cable with a pliers while another turned the key.

I understand the frustration and mild panic of the spot you're in, hope you can get it.
Old 03-23-10, 06:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, so you can get inside the car or not? If no, hold the unlock button on the key for 5 sec and the windows will roll down.

What I don't get is why you can't open the door with a key? Unless the shop was stupid enough to remove the bracket for the door handle.
Old 03-23-10, 07:22 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
What I don't get is why you can't open the door with a key? Unless the shop was stupid enough to remove the bracket for the door handle.
That happened to me once...couldn't open my door and when I closed it all my windows rolled down..
Never went to that guy again.
Old 03-23-10, 07:32 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha this sucks. I know its not necessary but i get really paranoid that i will be locked out every time i disconnect the battery to work on my car so before i dissconnect the battery i always roll down a window. but im with jeff, and in fact you dont even have to put the key in just hold down the unlock button and vualah you can crawl in and do whatever you gotta do such to fix the lock.
Old 03-23-10, 08:11 PM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know something that can help you

This happen to me before... TWICE and happen to my cousin too. I just did it last week. She drives a TL.

i bought this product. It's a ballon and a long stick. You will need 2 people.

youtube... this is the tool i have VERY easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_7a1Ci1t1I

directions:
you squeeze the ballon on the side of the window than bump it up. it will open up a gap where you can put in the long stick and pop it open.

This works. I have second gen GS and it works... Trust me.

Last edited by duby1; 03-23-10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 09:03 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Ok, so you can get inside the car or not? If no, hold the unlock button on the key for 5 sec and the windows will roll down.

im in the car, driving around and all, its the REAR passenger door , Soory, the title does say locked out! but the other 3 doors open this one is shut forever! i might have to break the handle part and pull the cable by hand
Old 03-23-10, 09:11 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahh, that clears it up lol. I thought you couldn't even get into your car.

Well, maybe try to keep unlocking/locking and maybe the actuator will randomly catch. A long shot, but maybe...

You can try to roll down the window and then stick a hanger in there to try to fish out the cables. If you REALLY have to have use of that door. You can destroy the door panel to get to the cables. If your interior is tan, I know a junkyard here in Dallas that has like 5 GS's in their yard. They are all tan interior though. I'm just taking a random guess, but I think they will charge around $200 for a door panel.

Up to you really, but this car was designed to be difficult to steal. Maybe you can call up Lexus or ask someone there if they have any ideas.
Old 03-23-10, 09:17 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Originally Posted by duby1

This happen to me before... TWICE and happen to my cousin too. I just did it last week. She drives a TL.

directions:
you squeeze the ballon on the side of the window than bump it up. it will open up a gap where you can put in the long stick and pop it open.

thats is a cool trick, but i can get into my car, its just i cant open it due to cables , kinda like the speaker replacing guy ^ but i put in all the screws, he didnt
Old 03-23-10, 10:37 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

thanks for the quote Jeff, but its Black interior bro, kinda hard to come by, so breaking anything id outta the question huh? got myself in a real Jam this time
Old 03-24-10, 09:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AsGs300
Austin and Sakataj
tried the ashtray deal, nogo, evan after removing the screw still doesnt give me enough play to get in there think about removing the woodgrain trim?? good/bad Idea ? anyone ever pop that out can i get to the cables through there? danm im stuck like chuck with my 3 door lexo !
slvrGS430- i noticed that the retarded window in my car acts that way cuz its not the OEM one, so I'm guessing someone before me replaced it and didnt do a good job, havent found a fix to it yet!
i told you two that would work....i doubt even a little kid could get into that. the woodgrain is screwed in from the back and wont really help even if you break it and remove it plus it might break the door panel

well i do have the key and access to get in the car, the problem is the cables to the LOCK is undone, as i mentioned, freakin stereo shop bootleged my car with after market pump looking deals , well the cable wire came off and now the door is shut and i cant get to the cables because , well the door is closed! cant really remove the panel? should i pry open the wood trim???? kinda scared of doin so
the major ? is did u let them do this....like did you ask them to do it? did they come to you and say hey we would need/like to do this is it ok? either way you need to take it back to them

if you didnt approve/tell/ask them to do it its 100% on them, if not they should help you somehow with this as they put something on that didnt work and failed almost immediately

i got a feeling he went to some shady shop and that's EXACTLY what they did.

Originally Posted by duby1

directions:

um i hate to ask but how often do you lock yourself out that you actually need this, i mean you said twice but you would think you would buy a spare key instead of this tool after the second time...also OP cant use this. he can get into car

OFF THE TOPIC while i was watching that video i saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzGBD4T_-1c&NR=1

is it just me or does it seem like bull? essentially he's dialing a separate phone and sending the lock/unlock signal through the phone?

EDIT: guess i shoulda watched this AFTER the above video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC_Yd...1&feature=fvwp

thanks for the quote Jeff, but its Black interior bro, kinda hard to come by, so breaking anything id outta the question huh? got myself in a real Jam this time
yeah u in a pickle. i have had my door panels all off in the last week so the design/insides are familiar to me at this time. u kinda fubared OP, start shopping for a black panel cause you gonna be wrecking this one. if you need to know where you can cut without fubaring the wiring let me know, i should have some pics of the naked door skin before (maybe) and after dynamatting. last thing you wanna do is finally get in the door after cutting it only to discover you cut through the wires

Last edited by sakataj; 03-24-10 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-01-10, 08:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so OP did u ever get this resolved?
Old 04-06-10, 08:40 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Heck NO, just sorta got tied up doing other stuff, but im gonna drop it off at the shop who. rigged my locks hopefully they can get it open! it sucks though, people try to get in, and I'll tell them my door doesnt work! ...........
Old 04-08-10, 08:06 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Heck NO, just sorta got tied up doing other stuff, but im gonna drop it off at the shop who. rigged my locks hopefully they can get it open! it sucks though, people try to get in, and I'll tell them my door doesnt work! ...........
lol, i wondered. k keep us updated