GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tt head on a 99 gs300

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 10:48 PM
pakiman626
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tt head on a 99 gs300

ok im swapping the head on my gs for a tt head. now i i was wondering since the car is a vvti is there anything different with wiring since there will b no more vvti since im using a older aristo head? and i also want to just use the stock turbos how would i use the wiring from the tt harness. i didnt see any write up on this. i will make a diy for this when i actually get started putting on the head. the wiring is the only thing thats making this seem even the least bit of a struggle any help will b appreciated thanks!
Old 03-26-10, 12:23 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much research have you done on this? It's not just as simple as throwing a GTE head on and slapping the OEM turbos on. What do you plan on doing about everything else once you get the head on? There is a reason the car has been out for 12 years and no one is doing this.
Old 03-26-10, 02:05 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Basically what he said...but also there's no point to just slap on a GTE head. You might as well drop the complete motor in while you're at it. The whole reason why people do GTE swaps is for the stronger GTE bottom end. The GE head has no problem flowing major amounts of power. It's the stock VVTi GE rods in the bottom end that's the problem.
Old 03-26-10, 11:52 AM
pakiman626
Driver

Yes but the na bottom can handle plenty of power. Ppl run na-t all day on na motor with no problem. So has no one done this?. As for everything else I'll b using tt intake Mani injectors usdm tt auto ecu. Fmic and also a safc2. I do have tt wiring harness aswell as tt ignition coils.
Old 03-26-10, 12:08 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pakiman626
Yes but the na bottom can handle plenty of power. Ppl run na-t all day on na motor with no problem. So has no one done this?. As for everything else I'll b using tt intake Mani injectors usdm tt auto ecu. Fmic and also a safc2. I do have tt wiring harness aswell as tt ignition coils.
I believe the NA bottom can only handle around 450-475hp.
Old 03-26-10, 01:52 PM
pakiman626
Driver

exactly thats plenty!!!!!!! im not shotting for 600whp id be happy with around 380-400
Old 03-26-10, 02:51 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Your planning on running two separate ecu's?

What do you plan on doing for fuel? The GS uses a different type of fuel system than the TT, they are not interchangable by just using a different intake manifold. How do you plan on making it work?

Last edited by macd7919; 03-26-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 07:52 PM
pakiman626
Driver

Well I didn't know that wut is away around that?? No... Only one ecu was just gonna use either gs or tt ecu, what ever would work. Is there literally no one that has done this???
Old 03-26-10, 08:40 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pakiman626
Well I didn't know that wut is away around that?? No... Only one ecu was just gonna use either gs or tt ecu, what ever would work. Is there literally no one that has done this???
The reason I asked is because I wasn't sure how much research you had done. Judging from some of the past answers you probably haven't looked into this too deeply yet.

1. You can't just put a different ecu in the car and expect it to work. Everything about the GS and the TT are different, all the body control functions such as gauges, etc... are different from the TT so it's not just a simple plug a new ecu in and everything works.

2. The Ecu controls the transmission, the TT is a completely different trans than the GS.

3. The harness plugs are different. Even *if* all the other stuff worked (which it doesn't) you would be sitting there with a soldering iron trying to trace back each wire on the GS harness in order to mate the TT plug to it. If you have a harness laying around you know how many wires are there, it's not just a matter of match the colors up.

4. Again, even *if* you could plug in the ecu's by using a different harness, the TT harness is designed for the ecu to be in the passenger foot well, the GS ecu is behind the driver side headlight so you would need to extend things to get it all in there, possible, but I'm just demonstrating the fact I think it's much more involved than it seems at first look.

5. The fuel systems are two different types, the TT uses a return fuel system where the GS is a non return. In order to use the TT fuel rail you need to run a new fuel line back to the tank, drill and tap the tank for a fitting and modify the pump assembly to accept a return line.

6. If you think you can just use the GS fuel rail you can't, the TT uses side feed injectors, the GS uses top feed so they are not interchangable.

7. Throttle body, have you looked at them? Notice anything different? Something to think about if your trying to us the GS ecu with the TT head.

8. Notice all those sensors/valves on the TT head? GS wasn't turbo from the factory, how do you plan on controlling all that stuff with the GS ecu that doesn't have any outputs for it.

Basically the problem is there is no real feasible way to make either setup work (GS with TT ecu or GS ecu controlling TT head). That's the reason no one has pursued this. Your best bet by far would be sticking with the stock motor and adding a budget turbo kit.

Could you run two different ecu's and get it to work some sort of way, possibly. Is it worth the time, diagnostic nightmare if you miss something and gains after the cost of the head, harness, sensors, custom exhaust work etc.... Probably not when you can get a budget kit that will meet your power needs for around the same price with a much simpler install.

Last edited by macd7919; 03-26-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 11:27 PM
pakiman626
Driver

I plan on getting rid of the sequetial turbo setup. So all those sensors are worthless. Aren't these all problems that I would have to deal with any way. I wil lalso b using a tt throttle body. Running another fuel line to the tank won't b an issue I have a tt fuel pump as well. Not seem like a **** but I'm not a retard I know how to work on a car. I have my own shop. I'm just asking for help on any typical problems. Ur help is very appreciated.
Old 03-26-10, 11:34 PM
pakiman626
Driver

I'm also doing this because I have all this stuff already in my shop, my na head is messed up, and my harness is gonna get fixed as well all the plugs on2j always shatter so wiring is already in to do list. So please guys don't me no to do it just advice on how to do it
Old 03-27-10, 12:12 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The NA bottom end can handle around 350-400whp or so reliably and it also depends on the tune. Some people have gotten away with 450-500whp or so, but it's just a matter of time before you throw a rod at those power levels. Others have blown an engine on 350whp on the stock bottom end. It all boils down to how you tune the car. Also, I'd suggest a standalone if you want the car to run more consistently.

What I did is just to build a complete new harness from scratch almost. I took the stock 2JZ-GE harness, cut that up and rebuilt the harness to fit onto a GTE motor.

Old 03-27-10, 12:33 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

As I mentioned in my earlier post I'm not saying it can't be done, but from your previous post it sounded as though you were under the impression you would just put the head on and throw the stock TT ecu in there and everything would be all good.

You mentioned you have a TT pump in response to my post that the fuel system is different but as far as the fuel goes what I was talking about has nothing to do with the pump. Of course you will need a larger pump but you need to run a fuel return line, if you own your own shop I'm sure you know what that is.

As far as Jeff's build goes.... Jeff isn't using a stock ecu, he is using an AEM standalone as well as a VVTI GTE head so I can't comment on that aspect, I can comment on the fact that the stock ECU won't support the TT setup and the TT ECU won't support the body controls of the GS so your options are to run either two ECU's or run the stock GS ECU and a standalone to control timing and fuel if you want a "like stock" reliable setup.

It seems as though you are taking my previous post as an insult, I'm not insulting you or your intelligence or your shops abilities. I'm simply stating the things that will need to happen if you are going to try and make this work which is what you asked for. If it was as easy as slapping a head on a block, bolting up some turbos and plugging in an ecu do you honestly think that people wouldn't have started doing it after all this time? If you want to be the first, more power to you and I'm sure lots of people will be thrilled but IMO as well as many others who have looked into it, it's not worth the money or hassle for what your going to get.

Last edited by macd7919; 03-27-10 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 12:35 AM
pakiman626
Driver

how hard and how long that take? most of the sensors werent used anyway right? im expecting something to end having to do something like this. when it comes to tuning i have and incredible tuner. actually is going to help with this whole build since it is so in depth.
Old 03-27-10, 12:38 AM
pakiman626
Driver

not at all man. it isnt an insult i know. but wut i was going to do originally since my setup isnt so insane i was just going to piggy back the stock ecu with safc2. please dont take it in any form of disrepsect

Quick Reply: tt head on a 99 gs300