GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone just use regualr gas in their GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 02:00 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I only use Shell V-Power, or Exxon Premium. 93 Octane only.
Old 03-26-10, 02:02 PM
bmackinnon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by werewolf
Don't beat the guy up, all you ballers...

To answer your question, there are systems on the engine to prevent knock, misfires. When you run a lower octane (87 or 89) the gas may not burn as evenly or may cause a misfire. The lexus brain knows this and changes your mix, running the engine rich (more gas to air) and reduces your MPG....So running cheaper gas hurts your mileage and creates a slim chance you'll damage your engine. Prolly not worth it

If gas is kicking you in the shorts, fill $20 at a time and plan your trips in the GS better.
Wrong... it doesn't change the mixture, it pulls timing in response to the detonation the knock sensor WILL hear with low octane gas... and that reduces gas mileage, power, and increases the exhaust gas temp... plus detonation KILLS the piston tops and valves... given enough of it...

Point being... don't do it... terrible idea...
Old 03-26-10, 02:03 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to test gasolines for octane ratings at a company awhile ago (actually a long time ago), so bare with me.. Also, I hope this hasn't been covered by another thread since I haven't searched.

To test for an octane, I would run two tests and average the number to get the numbers you see at the pump ( 87, 89, and 91).

*it gets fuzzy here*

One test would basically be simulating a car driving on a flat plane with no resistance at a cruising speed of roughly 40mph (forgot the exact mph, but wasn't super duper fast). We would simulate this by having an engine with an adjustable head so we could cause knocking. When it would knock, we would record the readings. Usually you'd get a 100+ octane rating since there was no resistance and your car isn't struggling.

The other test was to simulate a car going up a hill of 30 degrees incline at 60 mph (again, not completely sure, but the set up of having resistance is right). The test would yield a lower octane rating of 70's to 80's.

Take the 2 numbers average them and you have your pump octane number (87, 89, 91). If you look at some of the pumps you'll actually see RON + MON avg on the stickers.

So point being, if you live in a relatively flat city, I don't see the need to run super high octane gas. I personally use mid grade gasoline and put supreme gas in after oil changes. I tend to stick to big name gas companies too. Some 2nd tier gases just meet bare minimum with some of the testing I've done and seen. If your wallet is hurt, don't worry to much.
Old 03-26-10, 03:45 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I rolled thru Brooklyn NY last month on my way to a wake and filled up with 87 octane because the premium was like $4.25 a gallon. About a hundred miles later my Check Engine light came on. I puked an upstream O2 sensor, and I really think the 87 octane was to blame. Use the good stuff.
wait, what part of brooklyn were YOU in? i havent seen any prices around here in the 4 dollar range for the past 2 years

and last month it hadn't gone ANY where past the $3.25 mark even at the most expensive sunoco
Old 03-26-10, 03:47 PM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
I only use Shell V-Power, or Exxon Premium. 93 Octane only.
You're lucky you have 93 octane, we have 91
Old 03-26-10, 03:59 PM
Merwin121
Driver School Candidate

87 octane here. 5+ years, 120k miles, and still going strong. I haven't had any issues at all. Except for probably the poor gas mileage I get(~18-19mpg). But that's acceptable to me.
Old 03-26-10, 05:13 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

91 FTW or higher..
Old 03-26-10, 06:25 PM
978NastyGs
Pole Position

Don't do it..................
Old 03-26-10, 06:49 PM
joshuaren
Driver School Candidate

I always put premium gas in....always... i don't understand why not its not that much more expensive...If you drive a Lexus (or any foreign car for that matter) you should be prepared to pay more for everything. If not, you shouldn't have bought one!
Old 03-26-10, 07:40 PM
Emontes7
Driver

just sick that big mac and send the extra couple of dollers
Old 03-26-10, 08:40 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

I pay 30 cents over regular for premium, which is ~10%. When I use regular, I can sometimes lose ~10% in fuel economy. So it's a moot point, for me at least, shell out for the good stuff.
Old 03-26-10, 09:30 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

Premium!!!!!and stop ruining the <<<<1UZ-FE>>> :C

Old 03-29-10, 07:52 PM
Ekorre
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01gs3
I used to test gasolines for octane ratings at a company awhile ago (actually a long time ago), so bare with me.. Also, I hope this hasn't been covered by another thread since I haven't searched.

To test for an octane, I would run two tests and average the number to get the numbers you see at the pump ( 87, 89, and 91).

*it gets fuzzy here*

One test would basically be simulating a car driving on a flat plane with no resistance at a cruising speed of roughly 40mph (forgot the exact mph, but wasn't super duper fast). We would simulate this by having an engine with an adjustable head so we could cause knocking. When it would knock, we would record the readings. Usually you'd get a 100+ octane rating since there was no resistance and your car isn't struggling.

The other test was to simulate a car going up a hill of 30 degrees incline at 60 mph (again, not completely sure, but the set up of having resistance is right). The test would yield a lower octane rating of 70's to 80's.

Take the 2 numbers average them and you have your pump octane number (87, 89, 91). If you look at some of the pumps you'll actually see RON + MON avg on the stickers.

So point being, if you live in a relatively flat city, I don't see the need to run super high octane gas. I personally use mid grade gasoline and put supreme gas in after oil changes. I tend to stick to big name gas companies too. Some 2nd tier gases just meet bare minimum with some of the testing I've done and seen. If your wallet is hurt, don't worry to much.
there couldnt be anyone more informative than you here probably. Hah, a guy who tested octanes, thats interesting stuff.

fwiw, in my little experience, fuel quality really comes into play when you're running high perf engines, high compression, high boost etc. I havent noticed too much a difference on any of my tame compression, NA (wife's ) cars. The GS300 seems to respond about the same to 87.

Interestingly, East coast 89, 91 and 93 were different than west coast 91. WEst Coast 91 is more similar to east coast 87-89 than anything near 91 in the east.

I derived all this from hours of logging my audi S4 in the east, and later in the west.

I have noticed a slight lethargy when using 87 instead of 91, the timing retardation would explain that.

good info here.
Old 03-29-10, 08:15 PM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

I DONT use Regular, just like I dont use Aviation Fuel to make it go faster. Why not Kerosene? Water would be cheaper. And not that expensive bottled water but the free stuff out of your tap. Get my point? USE WHAT YOUR OWNERS MANUAL SAYS. If you a burning a hole in your pocket, better to siphon gas out of your neighbors car to help your pocket book, but be careful. Someone was siphoning gas around here, so I decided to booby trap my car...poured a bag of sugar into my gas tank...decided to do my neighbors a favor and poured a bag of sugar into their cars too. Guy who siphons our gas is gonna get a BIG Surprise now. Hahaha.
Old 03-30-10, 03:21 AM
JAYGS4NYC
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I only use 93 in my 430.. but when i had my GS4 which was my DD i would switch it up occasionally. I do 90pct highway driving so it smooth cruising at about 80mph haha Reg. Mid or High test was all the same with my mileage i averaged 19.75mpg pretty much the whole life of the car that i owned it from 90-140k.. Just to be safe tho i would just stick with the 93 and geta DD that takes Regular..haha

Quick Reply: Anyone just use regualr gas in their GS?