GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Alright i bought a used GS400 but lot of problems...please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 02:34 PM
Honda2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright i bought a used GS400 but lot of problems...please help!!

Hi guys..i became a GS400 owner few days ago..
well make the long story short..i bought this GS400 for a good deal with full option plus bodykit and rims..

But I paid full in cash to this guy(private seller) becasue he wanted me to pay him cash!!! well...that was ok..
I kinda suspected that he wanted cash and he also said he never register this car since he bought it..i did the carfax and the result came out like this...Not actual mileage...it even says on the title....it also says that "replacement" I don't know what the hell that is...

Car fax didn't say that it was a stolen vehicle but when i look at the car..it has many things that looks like it was stolen..ignition is kinda moved and driver's side door key ain't fit..(i think someone replaced the messed up key hole and replaced it) also stock alarm don't work even tho i replace the battery for it.....everything works well tho...i feel that this car was in the accident since the car rattles after i hit more than 80 plus steering moves ..and brakes are making noise and stuff...
also The title he gave me was not even his name since he never registered it!!!! and he just ordered new title and told me to wait for a week to get the new one..but how is he gonna sign all the stuff when it's not even under his name..
well..somebody help me please..i paid him already and stuff..i also have insurance for this car..but he somehow got the temprary plate for this car for 20 days....he said he got a friend in Lexus dealer...
Old 06-05-02, 02:40 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Alright i bought a used GS400 but lot of problems...please help!!

Aww man. I want to say welcome to the lexus family first of all. That's a pretty messed up situation my friend. I know it's too late, but it's always good to do the CarFax before the purchase. I suggest taking it to a dealer and explaining the whole situation and find out who the "real" previous owner was, etc.

Rattling is a GS problem. Pain in the @$$. Best thing to do right now is pretty much get it "checked". Sorry if that's not that much help, but not really sure what I would do in this situation.

Best of luck bro. Fill us in on what happens man.
Old 06-05-02, 02:52 PM
Honda2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

thanx a lot for the concern and the fast reply!!!

well i did car fax before i bought the car..but the price was real good that i didn't really care about what happened as long as engine and all the stuffs work in the car...plus the look..

I have my own machanic that would take care of this messed up car situation real good in good price...
Only thing i worry about is when i go try to register this car with new title...what if they say this car was stolen..or they can't let me register this car!!! that's all i worry about now!!!

Well i'm still happy with this GS400 with full option and nav system tho...but i wanna have this car legal on the street...!!!
Maybe i will maybe not...
Old 06-05-02, 02:55 PM
LSonDubz
Driver

sorry to say but you are pretty stupid for have boughten that car.. 1st of all wouldnt you get suspicious if you saw those things wrong with the car? didn't you test drive the car to make sure it was ok?

also who would buy a car from someone that says it was never registered.. that's illegal to begin with im sure.. and then the name on the title wasnt even his.. its common sense my man
Old 06-05-02, 02:56 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

how much did you pay?
Old 06-05-02, 04:13 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where to start without sounding like I'm blaming you. The question now is what to do from this point onwards?

First, my congrats for having faith in Lexus.

Second, before anything, go to your DMV FAST to try to register the car. You will find out from there if the title to the car is "normal". There's no sense griping and wasting time if you don't know the real deal on this car. Get the car's VIN and present it to DMV.

Once you know whether or not the title can be transferred to your name, then I'm sure you know the next steps from there.
Old 06-05-02, 04:13 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

How long ago did you buy it?

There are laws that protect you against certain things especially itf there is a title discrepancy.

What exacatly does the title say on it?Also what does the odometer say?Sounds like possibly TMU(true mileage unknown)

What year and how much did you pay.Let me know I will try to help you as much as possible. What kind of rims and bodykit.Let me know this stuff and I will be able to assist you alot better.

You live in RI cool deal I live in Boston.

Last edited by BadBtsz4u; 06-05-02 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-05-02, 04:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

WhiteLS has some great advice. Go to the DMV tomorrow and make sure the title is OK to transfer.

The faster you do this, the less chance the guy you bought it from has time to 'disappear' in case you need to get the authorites involved. You do know where he lives/how to contact him, right?
Old 06-05-02, 05:18 PM
Honda2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

HEll yeah i know what his phone number is and his friend's number plus where he works...

Alright..i bought this car for 23 grand cash
plus it has front and the back bumper molded on...i don't know what kinda kit they are...has 18 inch chrome wheels
plus blitz mufflers and tinted windows..
it's 98 GS 400 silver...

This title is from NJ and Vin number of this car is JT8BH68X0W0008595

Mileage on this title is only 3500 which also say it's not a actual mileage...
This tile was issued in october 22,2001
Now it's not even been a year it has 46,800 miles on..i guess when this guy reported it he lied or something..

Only reason i didn't go to DMV to register this car with this title is that this old title was signed already with someone else's name on...the guy i bought the car from is getting the title and he said he ordered it and it will take 10 days...

Well ...thanx for the all the comments and concerning...

Last edited by Honda2Lexus; 06-05-02 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-05-02, 06:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Ho boy...

If you didn't get a clear title and the car wasn't registered, there's a good chance it was stolen. Get this figured out ASAP, like TOMORROW. If the car was stolen, you need to get the police involved immediately, and also get a lawyer to figure out what your rights are.

Real sorry to hear that.

There's a small chance that the car was stolen, not claimed for some reason, and sold at an auction for cheap, and now you bought it. Not sure who has what rights in that situation.
Old 06-05-02, 06:14 PM
Honda2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

If this car was stolen .. it's weird that it was never reported..
and i guess i'm gonna be the one who's responsible for this whole situation??? well...i'm gonna go to Vin check place to figure out tomorrow for sure if i can register this car or not...!!! hopefully i could..cuz other than this title thing car is perfect
Old 06-05-02, 06:34 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Experience is worth $$$. But $$$ is relative and it doesnt sound like you care too much as long as you can get the car fixed. I would get my $$$ back but that many not be possible for you. Getting beat really sucks!
Old 06-05-02, 06:46 PM
csr
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

In Georgia, if that car were stolen the car would be returned to the original owner immediately. And all the police would do would say that you just got scammed. They might try to actually find the guy, doubt they would be able to find him. But if they do find him you would not get your money back.

Happened to my brother.

Nimesh
Old 06-05-02, 06:47 PM
csr
Driver School Candidate

Unless of course they find $23k in his pocket.
In the end you could probably sue. But I've seen cases where people have actually lost.
Nimesh
Old 06-05-02, 06:52 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car and its associated title was stolen, then you just lost whatever money you just paid the guy.

If the car was never bought, you just bought a stolen car for 23,000...paid cash..not smart at all dude...

I would find more about the guy that sold you the car REAL QUICK..his name, his address, etc. You never know, he could disappear tomorrow and if the car is stolen it doesn't even belong to you, it belongs to the owner. Do you have some type of receipt for the car?

Have you checked that the VIN numbers match perfectly everywhere..checked the engine VIN numbers as well? This car sounds tagged. What this character could have done is bought a junker for cheap (with title of course) and removed ignition and door locks (both look like they been messed with right?) as well as VIN number tags and installed on STOLEN car. The VIN number on your car and tite may match, but those VIN numbers on your car may be from another car:eek:

From what you tell me with the ignition and the door lock, its possible a title from another car was used to sell you THIS stolen car which was re-tagged.

I hope I'm totally wrong, but track down this character soon and use some friend's HELP to recover your money quick.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Alright i bought a used GS400 but lot of problems...please help!!