GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs300 oem hid replacment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 04:06 PM
GS3MGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gs300 oem hid replacment?

Hey guy,

I have a 1999 GS300 w/ OEM HID headlights which Iam glad came w/the car when i bought it .My car is in great shape paint job is good and runs great the only thing bring it down are the yellowish dinggy headlights. I have tryed all the E Bay products to clear them up and still no luck. It just seems that the sun has taken a toll on them and need to be replaced. I have serched all most every were online for replacements but always come across NON HID . Does that mean these wont fit on my car? Or can I buy these and just change the housing. Iam willing to buy new headlight but dont know which ones to get since my GS has HID lights. I would realy appriciate any helpfull info on my situation.
Old 03-31-10, 04:44 PM
zarukiana
Driver

non-HID are totally different, even though if you get non-hid and change the housing it want be same as you original hid, because inside low beam bowl is totally different, also you need clip for auto level which doesn't come w/ non-hid. you can get lenses and replace it if you like to do that, instead of getting headlight. it's up to you in which direction you want to go.

If you want I have full HID assembly passenger side only for 01+, also have the lens itself which is passenger side to. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 03-31-10, 05:14 PM
GS3MGS
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

YO.. Thanks for the info..You mean i can only change the len of the headlight I didnt know you could do that.. I thought it was all conected.. Were can i get lenses and how easy is it to exchange...

Thanks Bro
Old 03-31-10, 05:26 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the are no replacement lenses for the headlights. The best thing to do would be to buy a new/used (good condition) set of non hid headlights and swap the lenses
Old 03-31-10, 05:44 PM
GS3MGS
Driver School Candidate

Well sounds good. But do the lens come apart fairly easy or is it a misson to take off and how do you reattatch the lenses.. Sorry for all the questions but just want to get all my info straight....

Thanx
Old 03-31-10, 05:57 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Unless you're Betty Crocker and wouldn't mind baking the only set of headlights you have, then by all means go ahead. This is NOT an easy task to do - many melt the plastic on accident.
Old 04-01-10, 12:02 AM
zarukiana
Driver

If you do search there is a lot of threads shows how to bake your headlights I have done my original HID headlights it is easy for to do if you follow instruction, if you bake more than 10-15 minute then for sure you will melt the plastic. So if you look at the DIY of headlight I think you will have see how it has been done.

I have seen some members here do sale lenses separately, when I was looking some I found couple members have those. As I said earlier I do have passenger side Lens only, Passenger side full assembly HID headlight, and driver side non-HID full assembly headlight.

Hope this links will help you

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-retrofit.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rn-signal.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...storation.html
Old 06-08-16, 07:10 PM
Penguin13
Driver School Candidate

Default 02 gs 300

How difficult for a DIY to replace the stock HID headlamps with an aftermarket projector set and can i still use the same stock bulbs or would i have to stick to Halogen bulbs
Old 06-08-16, 09:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Penguin13
How difficult for a DIY to replace the stock HID headlamps with an aftermarket projector set and can i still use the same stock bulbs or would i have to stick to Halogen bulbs
Do a search on "retro fitting" You'll find a plethora of threads and DIY's (including one I made)

Also check the lighting forums as well.

If you're good with your hands, you can get the retrofit done in an hour to an hour and a half. (once the headlamps are off the car of course) first time, probably closer to 2 hours using a DIY. up to 4 if you're doing it blindly. Do your research first because since the GS has been around for 18 years, there are MANY practically plug and play retrofit brackets you can use instead of chopping and trying to line up the cutoffs.

As for the bulbs, no, the OEM bulbs are D2R, you will need the D2S bulbs for most, if not all, retrofited projectors.
Old 06-08-16, 09:21 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If you already have oem hid's, you would be downgrading by using halogen projectors. What projectors are you thinking about? Also, your factory bulbs are D2R and they're meant for hid reflectors not projectors so you would need new bulbs.
Old 06-08-16, 09:23 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

lol. Mrjokester already answered for you while I was typing.
Old 06-09-16, 09:26 AM
Penguin13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
If you already have oem hid's, you would be downgrading by using halogen projectors. What projectors are you thinking about? Also, your factory bulbs are D2R and they're meant for hid reflectors not projectors so you would need new bulbs.
Well I'm not really trying to downgrade to halogen its just my headlamps are way too yellowish so i just need new ones but every search i do i always come across non hid or hid not included. Does that mean they're hid headlamps just the housing itsself or not fitted for hid bulbs
Old 06-09-16, 09:39 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

i just need new ones but every search i do i always come across non hid or hid not included. Does that mean they're hid headlamps just the housing itsself or not fitted for hid bulbs
You have several options depending on budget and DIY abilities. You can buy aftermarket non-hid headlamps on ebay (about $200 for pair), then gut your HID unit, bake the headlights, remove the lens from the aftermarket headlamp and install it in your OEM housing, then put all the bulbs and levelers and ballasts back in. It's a full day's job (especially the first time), but can come out quite nicely looking.

The other option is to buy replacement OEM housing/lens units (about $600 for pair if you shop carefully). Then all you have to do (after getting the headlights out) is swap the bulbs and ballasts (levers are included in the new assemblies). So it's less work but more $$$.

Then there is always the option of just sanding/buffing/clearcoating your existing lights, it's by far the cheapest and fastest option, though I've never been happy with longevity of these (I know others swear by this technique).
Old 06-09-16, 10:11 AM
Penguin13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lyonkster
You have several options depending on budget and DIY abilities. You can buy aftermarket non-hid headlamps on ebay (about $200 for pair), then gut your HID unit, bake the headlights, remove the lens from the aftermarket headlamp and install it in your OEM housing, then put all the bulbs and levelers and ballasts back in. It's a full day's job (especially the first time), but can come out quite nicely looking.

The other option is to buy replacement OEM housing/lens units (about $600 for pair if you shop carefully). Then all you have to do (after getting the headlights out) is swap the bulbs and ballasts (levers are included in the new assemblies). So it's less work but more $$$.

Then there is always the option of just sanding/buffing/clearcoating your existing lights, it's by far the cheapest and fastest option, though I've never been happy with longevity of these (I know others swear by this technique).
Well I'm more inclined to just a simple R&R and get i over with not really liking the whole baking parts idea dont want to mess up and burn the plastic lol...I've seen projectors with HID convensions but not sure how legit that is don't want to one of those A-holes with bright lights on the road
Old 06-09-16, 10:40 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I'm more inclined to just a simple R&R and get i over with not really liking the whole baking parts idea dont want to mess up and burn the plastic lol...I've seen projectors with HID convensions but not sure how legit that is don't want to one of those A-holes with bright lights on the road
Agreed . I've done it both ways, and prefer the simplicity of swapping in the OEM housing/lens assemblies.

Quick Reply: Gs300 oem hid replacment?