GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarnet sub - OEM amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 08:16 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarnet sub - OEM amp

I did quite a bit searching today (Here and Google) for this type of setup. I didn't find anything. I don't want this turning into a sub discussion, just a simple (if that) yes or no. I'm hoping I can get a little more bass with the stock system. Thanks.
Old 03-31-10, 08:17 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I've been wanting to do this too...
Old 03-31-10, 08:26 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard good things about this amp.

AudioControl LC6.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/31215/pr...Converter.html

Quick-VR4 is using this setup in a custom box with a 12". But i keep hearing the stock open air design isn't to efficient. So it's hard to see any gains from using it.
Old 03-31-10, 08:49 PM
danyeru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say No...... any SUB is going to require more power to produce more bass.... esp if you underpower a sub, you may not even get as good a response as the stock sub... which hits pretty damn nice for a stock system
Old 03-31-10, 11:10 PM
Zoolander
Intermediate

I was very impressed with the OE sub. Makes the one in my Audi sound weak as hell. But bass can be like HP, you can never have enough.
Old 04-01-10, 05:39 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Originally Posted by Zoolander
But bass can be like HP, you can never have enough.
True, kind of.

I don't think you guys understand what I'm asking. Keeping everything factory except the sub. And I don't expect a lot of extra bass. Just be able to handle a bit more power then the oem unit. When the volume is half way the sub is at it's max. My door speakers can handle it, but the sub isn't keeping up.
Old 04-01-10, 07:08 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by danyeru
I would have to say No...... any SUB is going to require more power to produce more bass.... esp if you underpower a sub, you may not even get as good a response as the stock sub... which hits pretty damn nice for a stock system
What he said
Old 04-02-10, 12:14 AM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya new sub wont make a diff without amp.

Why dont you do audio hack? Do you have Navi or non nav? Its free bass.

Or pay a few more bucks for sub and amp.
Old 04-08-10, 12:53 AM
Kubs
Rookie

Default ML Sub Solution

Originally Posted by NIXmx
True, kind of.

I don't think you guys understand what I'm asking. Keeping everything factory except the sub. And I don't expect a lot of extra bass. Just be able to handle a bit more power then the oem unit. When the volume is half way the sub is at it's max. My door speakers can handle it, but the sub isn't keeping up.
Look you are not going to get the desired result the route you are going, the ML sub was a bad match for the OEM unit to begin with. Countless GS owners with ML system have had their Subs blown. Why, because it is a cheap piece of crap. I have had 2 GS's with ML system and same problem every time. I searched for months contemplating the best solution, and have found the best solution. I highly doubt there is a better solution out there. Do not attempt to glue the sub if blown replace it with a free air woofer: See below.

I just upgraded the ML sub on my 02 GS430 and it sounds sick... The ML sub is absolute crap after seeing what it looks like. I will put a full post up this week with photo's. It was a simple swap... I dropped in a JL Audio 10iB4 10" woofer 8 ohms which I bought from Woofersetc (http://www.woofersetc.com/p2752/10IB...-Subwoofer.htm) Then used a 4 channel Alpine Amp which I already had to push it... All you really need is a mono amp. Had the guys at Bestbuy install it. It sounded clean, the bass is crisp, tight with no rattling, did i mention loud.... Love it man.. I've read a lot of different posts on here and decided this is the best possible set up. Someone else recommended this Sub but they used the stock ML amp. It would work fine but if you can afford an amp to push it, go for it. You wont regret it. Side note i put the balance 2 bars towards the rear speakers since the front is noticeably louder, your choice.
Old 04-08-10, 05:45 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Did you buy that sub recently? Link didnt work for me, maybe user error...
Old 04-08-10, 09:55 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do you have free air subs that will work with the factory amp. When looking, make sure to get a sub (8 or 10") that utilizes low wattage to operate. I wouldn't expect a lot more bass with the oem amp though. GL
Old 04-09-10, 12:06 AM
Kubs
Rookie

Originally Posted by 97JZA80
Did you buy that sub recently? Link didnt work for me, maybe user error...
I bought this sub last year, what you need to look for is the correct Ohm and type of sub. I think they stopped selling that particular sub; However, it appears they have a new version of that sub for a little bit more. Free air sub is what you need, 10" will fit perfect. I recommend this sub: http://www.woofersetc.com/p5211/10W3...-Subwoofer.htm

I used an additional amp to power mine. Using the same wires from the stock Amp that runs to the sub i tapped it to my secondary amp that solely powers my sub.... and yes i used a capacitor to protect my OEM amp to not draw more power than needed. Up and running for like 6 months or so and no problems what so ever... It sounds amazing, while maintaining the classy sound of the Mark Levinson system, but with the added bass when needed... hope that helps....I will post pics online for you guys...

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
They do you have free air subs that will work with the factory amp. When looking, make sure to get a sub (8 or 10") that utilizes low wattage to operate. I wouldn't expect a lot more bass with the oem amp though. GL
I recommend a 10" woofer fits better. Also depending on the wattage of your woofer you don't want to under-power your sub which can damage your OEM amp by drawing too much power. If you can afford a cheap Mono amp or bridged 2 channel amp then that's the best way to go...

Last edited by Kubs; 04-09-10 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 04:30 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Good info thanks...
Old 04-09-10, 04:54 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I suggest you run a aftermarket amp to your stock sub. That's what I did. It knocks harder. If you don't want that much bass and want to keep the sound clean. You can just adjust it through the aftermarket amp.

The OEM won't let you adjust the bass to how you want.
Old 04-09-10, 11:06 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, depending on if you have a 98-2000 GS, without Nakamichi, you can hack into the audio system to adjust the sound. After I did it, mine sounded great.

Quick Reply: Aftermarnet sub - OEM amp