GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

a/c blew hot, replaced compressor, fixed for a while, now hot again

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 01:12 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
How do you flush the A/C lines?
with a vacuum pump, a flush kit and a little time on your hands

Originally Posted by e-man
Yeah, they told me to come back next week (so maybe not a full week, but at least a few days).

I keep coming back to the same question. If all they did was recharge the freon, what would cause the compressor to act erratically now? Whereas before it was always on above 32 degrees and always off below 32 degrees, now it seems to be turning on and off at random times. Again, the reason I know this is because of the low idle issue when I come to a stop at stoplights. When the compressor kicks on, it definitely blows cold, but it just keeps turning on and off (and the temperature here in Chicago today is around 50 degrees).

In terms of the original compressor, when it died, it died. It was making all kinds of knocking and grinding sounds. It wouldn't surprise me if shards of metal made their way into the system. When I replaced it last summer, I only replaced the compressor. I didn't replace the condensor or drier or any of the other parts. It sounds like if there was metal in the system, it could have destroyed the second compressor. However, once I replaced the compressor (June, 2009), it was fine all last summer and into the fall. Would it take that long for shards of metal to blow up a new compressor? I was under the impression that it would happen much more quickly.
typically if shards were in it, it would happen quicker. so am i reading this right, your on your 3RD compressor? u said the compressor is kicking on and off....? whats your pressures? sounds like your hitting a high or low pressure sensor but im not sure need more info
Old 04-09-10, 01:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
with a vacuum pump, a flush kit and a little time on your hands

typically if shards were in it, it would happen quicker. so am i reading this right, your on your 3RD compressor? u said the compressor is kicking on and off....? whats your pressures? sounds like your hitting a high or low pressure sensor but im not sure need more info
Sorry, I can see why that was confusing. Just two compressors, the original and the replacement.

Here's the timeline. The original compressor went bad in June 2009. It started making a knocking/grinding noise, and within a week or two, it was totally dead. I bought a used compressor off a 2000 GS4 with 60k miles and had it installed (in June 2009). The a/c worked great the rest of the summer and into the fall. Then winter hit. All seemed well. The other day we had our first really warm day here in Chicago, and I realized that I had no a/c.

I brought the car to Lexus the other day and they recharged the freon and added dye, and that's where I am today. The a/c is blowing cold when the compressor is on (as it should), but the compressor is turning on and off much more frequently than it did before Lexus recharged the freon. Like I said, prior to all of this, the only time the compressor would turn off (at least I think) was when the temperature dropped below 32 degrees, and the reason I know that is because of the low idle issue. At temps above 32 degrees, it seemed as if it was always on because I did not have the low idle problem.

Maybe there was something wrong with the way it always stayed on before, and maybe now it's behaving properly. I don't think so, but maybe. What would cause it to behave differently now? Could they have put too much freon in? If it was low on freon before, could that have caused it to be on all the time?
Old 04-09-10, 01:36 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I can see why that was confusing. Just two compressors, the original and the replacement.

Here's the timeline. The original compressor went bad in June 2009. It started making a knocking/grinding noise, and within a week or two, it was totally dead. I bought a used compressor off a 2000 GS4 with 60k miles and had it installed (in June 2009). The a/c worked great the rest of the summer and into the fall. Then winter hit. All seemed well. The other day we had our first really warm day here in Chicago, and I realized that I had no a/c.

I brought the car to Lexus the other day and they recharged the freon and added dye, and that's where I am today. The a/c is blowing cold when the compressor is on (as it should), but the compressor is turning on and off much more frequently than it did before Lexus recharged the freon. Like I said, prior to all of this, the only time the compressor would turn off (at least I think) was when the temperature dropped below 32 degrees, and the reason I know that is because of the low idle issue. At temps above 32 degrees, it seemed as if it was always on because I did not have the low idle problem.

Maybe there was something wrong with the way it always stayed on before, and maybe now it's behaving properly. I don't think so, but maybe. What would cause it to behave differently now? Could they have put too much freon in? If it was low on freon before, could that have caused it to be on all the time?
My mom's GS300 just had AC work done these past 2 weeks... One thing that affected the idling was an overcharge of freon... I don't think the pro's at a Lexus dealership could screw up on how much freon they put in your car but you might want to take it back to them and put their gauges on it to see the pressures.
Old 04-09-10, 01:49 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i dunno, for 100% i would DEF need the pressures. y take it to lexus btw? hvac can be costly i wouldnt take it to the most overpriced place ever.do you know if lexus changed your drier/expansion valve when they did the compressor?

Originally Posted by speed3000g
My mom's GS300 just had AC work done these past 2 weeks... One thing that affected the idling was an overcharge of freon... I don't think the pro's at a Lexus dealership could screw up on how much freon they put in your car but you might want to take it back to them and put their gauges on it to see the pressures.
actually i think they use a machine....so its possible that if the machine is outta calibration or something they coulda but i cant really guesstimate without the pressures
Old 04-09-10, 01:50 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by speed3000g
Interesting. So with too much freon, the compressor turns on and off more frequently? I am going to go back on Monday to have them look for the leak with the dye they put in. I'll ask them about the idling and have them measure the pressure then. Thanks for the tip.

Sakataj -- please let me know if you have any further thoughts on this. Thanks.

e
Old 04-09-10, 01:53 PM
e-man
Pole Position

i dunno, for 100% i would DEF need the pressures. y take it to lexus btw? hvac can be costly i wouldnt take it to the most overpriced place ever.do you know if lexus changed your drier/expansion valve when they did the compressor?
Again, I wasn't clear. Lexus didn't replace the compressor last summer. I had an independent shop do it. It took all of 30 minutes (if that). I can tell you that the shop most likely didn't change the drier/expansion valve when they swapped out the compressor (unless that is a common part that a shop would have on hand). I provided them with the new/used compressor and told them to change it out, so I assume that's all they did.
Old 04-09-10, 02:23 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting. So with too much freon, the compressor turns on and off more frequently? I am going to go back on Monday to have them look for the leak with the dye they put in. I'll ask them about the idling and have them measure the pressure then. Thanks for the tip.

Sakataj -- please let me know if you have any further thoughts on this. Thanks.

e
well IF its overcharged it can hit a high pressure sensor and cut itself off but it shouldnt keep coming on and going off constantly there should be sometime in between them

Again, I wasn't clear. Lexus didn't replace the compressor last summer. I had an independent shop do it. It took all of 30 minutes (if that). I can tell you that the shop most likely didn't change the drier/expansion valve when they swapped out the compressor (unless that is a common part that a shop would have on hand). I provided them with the new/used compressor and told them to change it out, so I assume that's all they did.
nah, then i would be willing to bet they didnt change em...
Old 04-09-10, 02:29 PM
e-man
Pole Position

well IF its overcharged it can hit a high pressure sensor and cut itself off but it shouldnt keep coming on and going off constantly there should be sometime in between them
Oh, there's definitely time in between. It's just coming on and off more frequently than it did before (which was almost never unless the temp dipped below 32 degrees).
Old 04-10-10, 03:53 AM
ydjy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait, you only assume that your compressor is off based on different idle? I thought that the compressor clutch is visible from the outside.
Anyway, the pressure switch first activates the fans, then turns off the compressor. Are the fans running when the compressor is off?
Old 04-10-10, 05:37 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ydjy
wait, you only assume that your compressor is off based on different idle? I thought that the compressor clutch is visible from the outside.
Anyway, the pressure switch first activates the fans, then turns off the compressor. Are the fans running when the compressor is off?
Correct, that's my assumption, from inside the car while I'm driving. I'd have to check to see whether the fans are running when the compressor turns off. I'll check that out over the weekend. Thanks.

e