GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First time Lexus 2gs owner in desperate need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 05:46 PM
Ryncarzk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the engine idling ok? Does it drive alright or misfire when driving around? Are there any codes? Usually if the timing belt was off the timing marks it would set a code. Could it possibly be coming from the catalytic converter? Have you put a clean tank of high grade gas through it to make sure its not poor quality of fuel? I've never seen a cam go bad on those cars. You can also pull the cam cover off and see for yourself if its off timing.
Old 04-08-10, 10:42 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil level good?
Old 04-09-10, 12:22 AM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

DAMN stealership!!!! I'm picking up the car first thing tomorrow.

Before I brought it to the dealer the oil level is good and clean and I put only top tier premium in the tank.

So far I'm thinking of trying to run either thicker or thinner oil, and maybe possibly sea foam? I ran a can of it through my TL and it did wonders. Seemed to make it run A LOT smoother even with it's high mileage. But then again this isn't an Acura so it might do wonders or make matters worse, so Ill maybe hold off until I can find more info.

As for idling and driving, it drives and pulls really smooth no backfire/hiccup/bog/Codes. It does seem to idle a bit low and when its ideling I can feel what seems to be a very slight misfire once in a while(sorry best way I could describe it)
Old 04-09-10, 12:37 AM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the advice! Really helpful!

So far the master plan(according to my mechanic) is to:

1: Reasearch more
2: Check for correct timing
3: Run another tank of gas throught it
4: Try different oil (thicker/thinner) and possibly seafoam
5: Replace everything that has to do with the timing belt/supposedly bad cam gear(belt/idler/tensioner/water pump/starter since it's apart/etc)

Definite DIY w/ lots of pics if it comes down to it and me and my mechanic need to tear it all apart to start changing everything.
Old 04-09-10, 08:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL... Contrats on the GS4
Old 04-09-10, 12:05 PM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

The new word from the dealer before I pick up my car now is that the exhaust cam gear needs to be replaced/adjusted due to being "spring loaded and adjustable" (never heard of a spring loaded cam gear) and "possibly not installed/adjusted correctly".

Anyways NOW they want $2200 to adjust both right and left exhaust cam gears, and they say the price it still so high because they have to completely remove the cams just to adjust the gears.

Sounds like some flux capacitor/cross drilled slotted brake lines/ headlight fluid stuff to me. Off to the dealer I go to pick up the damn thing
Old 04-09-10, 12:41 PM
djcobra
Driver School Candidate

I own a S14 240sx (Silvia) it uses a similar design but only in the intake cam gear (VCT) Variable Cam Timing. Inside the Sprocket is a spring that adjusts the intake timing via a solenoid which is sent from the ECU/Standalone. Anyways, from what i've seen you can't manually adjust the tension on these bad boys. Most likely to replace the unit, and i've done this with my S14. Similar sounds were, like a knock/tap like my lifter took crap. (some say it sounded like a rod knock).

I'm sure the VVTi on our cars use the same concept as my Nissan S14. Anyways, I hope things workout for your GS 400; they're beautiful solid cars.

Oh, I'm also new to this forum and just recently bought a 01 GS 430.

Steve.
Old 04-09-10, 01:46 PM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djcobra
I own a S14 240sx (Silvia) it uses a similar design but only in the intake cam gear (VCT) Variable Cam Timing. Inside the Sprocket is a spring that adjusts the intake timing via a solenoid which is sent from the ECU/Standalone. Anyways, from what i've seen you can't manually adjust the tension on these bad boys. Most likely to replace the unit, and i've done this with my S14. Similar sounds were, like a knock/tap like my lifter took crap. (some say it sounded like a rod knock).

I'm sure the VVTi on our cars use the same concept as my Nissan S14. Anyways, I hope things workout for your GS 400; they're beautiful solid cars.

Oh, I'm also new to this forum and just recently bought a 01 GS 430.

Steve.
Ok thanks for the info, makes sense. If it is really the case I still think they are charging me way too much to adjust it.

Now got me thinking of just completely replacing it myself along with timing belt etc.

The only thing holding me back is theyre saying the whole cam needs to be pulled out in order to adjust? <anybody have any insight?