GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First time Lexus 2gs owner in desperate need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 10:19 AM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Lexus 2gs owner in desperate need of advice

What's up everybody, new to this forum and new to Lexus itself. I'm normally a Honda/Acura guy but decided to take the plunge into the world of Lexus. I just bought a 98 gs400 (121k miles) 2 weeks ago. Love Lexus and the way it rides/drives compared to Acura/Honda, just sucks I got stuck with one that needs so much.

Anyways I have a major dillema. I took the car in to the dealer for a valve adjustment (ticking noise coming from the right bank). Dealer calls me back and says the noise is coming from the cam gears, they need to be replaced which equals $4k ($1k for parts $3k for labor) or they can "re calibrate" the one that's on there for $2k. I've been searching and can't find any info or parts for the cam gear swap. I've been thinking about tackling the task myself but can't find any info on that either, on the other hand I've been thinking about cutting my loss and selling it for 2k less than I bought it for.

Sorry for such a long first post but any helpful advice/help is much appreciated. Looking foward to hearing your guys input.
Old 04-08-10, 10:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Before you to take on any task, I would definitely consider a 2nd opinion on this, since we're talking about an expensive repair here.
Old 04-08-10, 11:22 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

What dealer did you bring it to? GSteg is right, get a second opinion before you commit to anything.
Old 04-08-10, 01:28 PM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

I took it to Lexus Serramonte here in colma(near daly city/sf). I actually talked to one of my good friends who is a mechanic, he said it could be idler pulley/tensioner that is doing the ticking. The dealer also said it's possible the previous owner changed the timing belt but didn't align timing marks on the exhaust/intake cam.

Last edited by yalredykno; 04-08-10 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 01:40 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Why not bring it to your friend to have him check it out?
Old 04-08-10, 02:20 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, take a deep breath.

You're talking about a $2k or $4k repair to a car (assuming good condition) that is worth $6-7-8k. Anytime a repair is that expensive relative to the car you should slow the roll and see what's what

Get that second opinion. Use CL and the web to find an experienced, independent mechanic (that knows the Toyota v8 engine) in your hood. Describe the symptoms (ticking) and don't tell him what the dealer said. A good mechanic should suggest a number of possible issues that would cause that symptom. Figure out how much it will cost to diagnose the problem. Another $100 at this point is small change.

If you can't get a clear answer, fix / address the cheapest problem 1st and work your way up the list. Can you DIY?

A couple of things
1) When was the timing belt done? Most are done 90-100k miles, if your ride has a 120k that's a long time to put up with the ticking
2) When you bought the car, was it ticking then? How long has it been ticking?
3) If you need to pull off the intake manifold and the header, you might want to swap out the starter too. The starter sets under the manifold and is a pain to fix as a standalone repair.
4) If you do need to reseat the timing belt, consider doing the water pump (same area) if it has not been done
5) post your problem in the Maintainence section if you haven't done so.
6) Search the GS, SC and LS sections for posts similar to yours (they share the same engine)

Last edited by werewolf; 04-08-10 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 02:31 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ great advice there. follow that to the T
Old 04-08-10, 02:35 PM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by o6spdracer
Why not bring it to your friend to have him check it out?
I plan to but the only thing is he doesn't specialize in Lexus. It's just frustrating to find out I have a bigger problem(that's usually how it goes) rather than just a valve adjustment, and even after taking it to the dealer they still don't know what's wrong with it.

Has anyone had experience with this real loud ticking coming from the engine?it's not rod knock, I know what rod knock sounds like, it's just a loud tapping.
Old 04-08-10, 02:46 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yalredykno
I plan to but the only thing is he doesn't specialize in Lexus. It's just frustrating to find out I have a bigger problem(that's usually how it goes) rather than just a valve adjustment, and even after taking it to the dealer they still don't know what's wrong with it.

Has anyone had experience with this real loud ticking coming from the engine?it's not rod knock, I know what rod knock sounds like, it's just a loud tapping.
Even your buddy is doing it for free, I would get an independent who has experience with your engine (works on Lexus v8s, tundras, landcruisers, 4runners). Every engine has strong and weak points to the design. Getting a mechanic who knows these ahead of time is a good good thing.

Does the ticking sound go away when the engines warmed up? If so, it might be sticky valve lifters (Tappets?)
Old 04-08-10, 02:47 PM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by werewolf

You're talking about a $2k or $4k repair to a car (assuming good condition) that is worth $6-7-8k. Anytime a repair is that expensive relative to the car you should slow the roll and see what's what

Get that second opinion. Use CL and the web to find an experienced, independent mechanic (that knows the Toyota v8 engine) in your hood. Describe the symptoms (ticking) and don't tell him what the dealer said. A good mechanic should suggest a number of possible issues that would cause that symptom. Figure out how much it will cost to diagnose the problem. Another $100 at this point is small change.

If you can't get a clear answer, fix / address the cheapest problem 1st and work your way up the list. Can you DIY?

A couple of things
1) When was the timing belt done? Most are done 90-100k miles, if your ride has a 120k that's a long time to put up with the ticking
3) If you need to pull off the intake manifold and the header, you might want to swap out the starter too. The starter sets under the manifold and is a pain to fix as a standalone repair.
4) If you do need to reseat the timing belt, consider doing the water pump (same area) if it has not been done
6) Search the GS, SC and LS sections for posts similar to yours (they share the same engine)
Thanks for everybodys responses. So far the Plan is to change timing belt/water pump/pulleys/tensioner/etc/fix cam gear position if in fact it is off. I'll try to take a lot of pictures and put together a diy as soon as I take the car back from the dealer and start tearing into it.
Old 04-08-10, 02:49 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yalredykno
Thanks for everybodys responses. So far the Plan is to change timing belt/water pump/pulleys/tensioner/etc/fix cam gear position if in fact it is off. I'll try to take a lot of pictures and put together a diy as soon as I take the car back from the dealer and start tearing into it.
I had to pull off the manifold last week. PM me if you have questions
Old 04-08-10, 02:59 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of things

2nd opinion. First rule of stealerships: Stealerships love to charge $$.
Old 04-08-10, 03:00 PM
yalredykno
Driver School Candidate

Even your buddy is doing it for free, I would get an independent who has experience with your engine (works on Lexus v8s, tundras, landcruisers, 4runners). Every engine has strong and weak points to the design. Getting a mechanic who knows these ahead of time is a good good thing.

Does the ticking sound go away when the engines warmed up? If so, it might be sticky valve lifters (Tappets?)
The sound is really quiet on start up and gets a more noticeable when warmed up And after being drivin for a while, although when I rev the engine the tapping goes away until it's brought back down to idle.
Old 04-08-10, 04:28 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think if it actually needed a timing gear replaced you wouldnt be the only person every with this problem and in my 15 years your the only one ive ever heard who has needed one. so go pick it up from that dealer and check it yourself.
Old 04-08-10, 04:50 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Taking it to the dealer at the first place is a bad idea. They always charge an arm or leg.

Quick Reply: First time Lexus 2gs owner in desperate need of advice