GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Intake lag? (Feedback, please)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10 | 12:54 AM
austin7891
Pole Position

Default Intake lag? (Feedback, please)

I recently installed the Weapon R short ram intake...came with the ram it air kit, which i did not use because it would not even fit! how ridiculous...the intake is too long (working on some kind of heatshield...which is another story)

drive- ive reset the ecu and driven at least 300 miles...and everything is quite normal...less mpg because ive been 'testing' some justification huh? lol...but i feel like before 3k rpms the car is just so laggy....not much different from my friends gti, with a large turbo swap...past 4k i can really feel a nice pull and a sound...but did i lose low end power? this seems plausible...of course my friends say no and that my car is "so much faster bro" *roll eyes*

Side note - is vvti like hondas VTEC? because at about 5k rpms (coincidentally the same engagement point in most hondas) i can hear something very similar to VTEC...after i got the intake i really noticed this ESP in 3rd gear! pretty cool actually.

thanks guys, feel free to respind with anything

-austin
Old 04-09-10 | 02:44 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Yes...you loss low end power/torque....but you gain at high end.
Old 04-09-10 | 03:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

VTEC is Honda's version of Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control. VVTi is Toyota's version of Variable Valve Timing. Are they the same? No. Are they similar? Yes. Are they essentially trying to do the same thing? Yes.

Anyway, like PHML said you essentially lost some low end but gained top end peak HP. Pretty typical of short ram intakes. Is your car faster? Could be. No way to really find out unless you time it and see. Could be slower, could be faster.
Old 04-09-10 | 04:14 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

That's weird pictures would do justice maybe there's an leak or clog try cleaning your throttle body
Old 04-09-10 | 09:33 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

i guess you can take it as imagine drinking water through a small straw the using a larger mcdonalds straw. you pull more but at a slightly slower pace, where im guessing that "lag" comes into play.
Old 04-09-10 | 09:53 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
VTEC is Honda's version of Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control. VVTi is Toyota's version of Variable Valve Timing. Are they the same? No. Are they similar? Yes. Are they essentially trying to do the same thing? Yes.

Anyway, like PHML said you essentially lost some low end but gained top end peak HP. Pretty typical of short ram intakes. Is your car faster? Could be. No way to really find out unless you time it and see. Could be slower, could be faster.
Actually, VTEC and VVTi are quite different.

VVTi keeps the same cam lift and duration profiles at all times. It just changes the angle of the camshaft to advance or retard it.

VTEC is basically one camshaft that acts as two. Each of their camshafts has two sets of lobes per valve. One set of lobes is lower duration and lift for maximum when driving around town at speed limit, basically when rpm is lower than 4-5k(vtec switchover). The second set of lobes is activated when you surpass 4-5k and the vtec solenoid triggers the valves to switch over to the second set of lobes on the camshaft. Esentially it's like swapping to a bigger set of cams halfway through your rpm band.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages, but in terms of power output the VTEC makes more because it changes the cam profile to a higher lift set of lobes. VVTi is simply changes when the valves opens, and is able to variate it up to around 60'deg on the intake cam. However, VVTi cannot change valve lift.
Old 04-09-10 | 10:29 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Yea I have the Weapon R secret weapon intake and there was a noticeable lag when taking off. if you work on other components besides just the intake and give ur TB a good cleaning you could regain some of that low end back. but once i got my exhaust set up i dont really notice the lag. and my car still takes off a lot faster than stock
Old 04-09-10 | 09:38 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

thanks for that feedback guys, exactly what i wanted. good analogies, explanations, and personal experiences, respectively. hey nick hows ur build coming along man? any plans?
Old 04-09-10 | 09:39 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

also, jeff are you in school for automotive? you seem to be very gifted in this regard...
Old 04-09-10 | 10:30 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by austin7891
also, jeff are you in school for automotive? you seem to be very gifted in this regard...
OT.. Jeff is the Mad Scientist..
Old 04-10-10 | 01:02 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Nah, never been to automotive school. I'm an electrical engineer and work on and design computer chips. Currently back in school for a mechanical engineering degree. I just do this stuff on my free time for fun/as a hobby
Old 04-10-10 | 11:58 AM
austin7891
Pole Position

worddd. (extracharacters)
Old 04-10-10 | 01:36 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

No offense, but if you lose low end torkes why would you want to do this? The GS is already laggy from a dig, but has great top end. My Mustang will blow the doors off of my GS from a dig all day long, but my GS will waste my Mustang on the top end. I have a 400 BTW.
Old 04-10-10 | 02:42 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by austin7891
thanks for that feedback guys, exactly what i wanted. good analogies, explanations, and personal experiences, respectively. hey nick hows ur build coming along man? any plans?
The build is slowly but surely. recently i have been hitting a lot of snags with suspension problems. today hit rock bottom because after fixing two wheel bearings and replacing just about everythng in the front suspension, when they guy does my car he says the driver side of my steering rack is busted. so i got a nice looker but nowhere near a smooth ride. and to put the icing on the cake of that my speedometer just stopped working today. so i'm pretty much right back in a hole with this car. i love it, i really do but right about now im really tempted to sell it because i'm spending too much in repairs and not enuff in upgrades.
Old 04-10-10 | 09:02 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

damn nick sorry to hear that...coincidentally my bros civic dx entire cluster stopped working...is this a result of being lowered? christ i may not get megan coils...haha jp

Quick Reply: Intake lag? (Feedback, please)