GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Well guys i FINALLY have my CF GS430 engine cover done

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 12:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Well guys i FINALLY have my CF GS430 engine cover done

well its been a long ride for me with this....i started pursuing this in october.

i was trolling the my.is boards trying to find some jdm alteeza lights to put into my tag lights. (drop in housing that has 6 oem leds on each one) when i noticed some CF engine covers for a is300 and thought i would email the OP and see if there was any interest in doing this for my car. He said to send him a spare engine cover and he would see what he could do.

i sent my engine cover over to Justin from Advanced Automotive Concepts (yes i know his rep from some of you guys, knew it before going into this - he used to be a vendor here on CL but he isn't now)

Anyways i was told not to expect anything till january or february as the cover was being sent to china to get a mold made and start being made. i just thought i would check on it so sometime in dec i sent a email and was being told they werent gonna make one and i would get my engine cover back.SEVERAL weeks l8r i finally got a unexpected email WITH pics showing me my CF engine cover. Well I finally got it in and noticed a few things....

i DONT know if the production version of these wont have these issues i list below

(im 100% sure the arrows in red/blue on the first pic will still not be there)
for some reason they didnt include these when they made the prototype but i doubt they gonna correct it for the production version

IGNORE THE BLUE ARROWS IN THIS PIC BELOW (this is the one im hoping they fix before it comes into production) the red arrows indicate areas that have OEM mounting brackets that i needed to mount the cover but werent included with the Cf one (the pic is my oem cover but wasnt returned with the brackets)

these are the brackets u need

so i removed the OEM heat insulation, and brackets and mounted them onto the CF cover. one little issue here, the place where the brackets screw in, werent threaded (again another issue im hoping for them to fix for production version) i ended up threading mine and then to be safe, i epoxied them in and broke out the heat gun to force it to dry quicker. i then hotglued the heat insulation onto the back as it was held in by melted tabs of plastic and the hot glue SHOULD be ok, if it doesnt hold with the engine heat i will mount it another way.

so thats all the issues i had with the cover and the only other issue i have, is my drivers side engine mount is shot (u can feel it and see it if you pop the hood) and although the strut bar i bought from Ck6speed but PHML actually made, it has plenty of clearance on the oem engine cover it will barely rub and i didnt want it to rub my CF cover so i did the next best thing (keep in mind this is temporary, soon i will order my engine and tranny mounts and then have the SB repainted another shade of yellow as i like the offset color) i wrapped the bottom and part of the SB with some foam adhesive

Oem engine cover with clearance

Rubbing damage on the sc430 black engine cover i bought months ago

Strut Bar All Wrapped Up (again temporary)

Coulda swore i took pics of this before i mounted it but after wrapping it but i cant find them (oh well you'll see it soon). i used this stuff....a product we sell at work

took a few pics JUST the engine cover with no lexus symbol and no strut bar mounted on car

one of my fav shots below

then i had my poll to help me decide on the Chrome L symbol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ine-cover.html

i ended up going with # 3 from that poll even though it didnt win for 2 reasons. one being when i actually went to 3m the L symbol that did win (#2), i couldnt find it. (it had fallen out of bag and slipped in between seats) and when i did find it and actually placed it on the cover in the engine bay it looked small, and out of place and i had already 3m taped # 3.i think # 3 fit better and it is my cover. although if i have to do it again i would probably pick # 2 if i dont lose it again and mount that one

So i went ahead and 3m taped the # 3 and got it ready to mount

it was a slow day at work so i worked on this at the desk at work, mounted the emblem and snapped a pic (all the chrome L symbols in that bag will be for sale soon for CHEAP, there are like 15 in there)

Next i mounted this without the strut bar and snapped some pics

just to show you the clearance with the strut bar is still the same

Old 04-09-10, 12:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so here are the final pics....

Outside in the sun

and the money shot, i think

Old 04-09-10, 12:26 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what kind of strut bar is that? cuz I'm tired of people complaining about clearance on their GS430 or 400.
Old 04-09-10, 12:30 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice...how much did that set you back brian?
Old 04-09-10, 12:59 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nice work brian. i hope you get the engine mount fixed soon...cuz the engine jumps up and down during normal driving... which may hit/rub the stb.
Old 04-09-10, 01:17 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good B! Hope that the foam does it's job in protecting the CF cover from marring for the time being until you get the mount replaced.
Old 04-09-10, 01:23 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

clean job and nicely done!
Old 04-09-10, 01:45 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks nice. Next step, cut out center and polish the intake

Old 04-09-10, 02:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spencedigg
what kind of strut bar is that? cuz I'm tired of people complaining about clearance on their GS430 or 400.
its custom, PHML (pete) bout 2 quotes down from your original quote made it, i bought it from ckspeed (chris) who he sold it to about 2 years ago maybe

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Nice...how much did that set you back brian?
not half of what u think, i got a good price for being the guinea pig and using mine as a prototype

Originally Posted by PHML
nice work brian. i hope you get the engine mount fixed soon...cuz the engine jumps up and down during normal driving... which may hit/rub the stb.
thanks, yeah i need them. they my next project after my audio gets wrapped up

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Looks good B! Hope that the foam does it's job in protecting the CF cover from marring for the time being until you get the mount replaced.
thanks, i hope it does too.

Originally Posted by jadu
clean job and nicely done!
ty

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Looks nice. Next step, cut out center and polish the intake

nah, for 3 reasons. 1) i'll never polish ANYTHING again after doing my motorcycle frame. 2) i dont like bling, bling. and 3) the gs400 uses 4 bolts (10mm) 2 in the front and 2 behind to hold the engine cover down, whereas the gs430 uses 2 front bolts and the round ***** to clip onto the others. if these end up breaking im gonna use figs (mike) to get me the magnetic ones he uses in his CF covers

Last edited by sakataj; 05-17-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 02:42 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great overall, nice piece!
Old 04-09-10, 03:21 PM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, when will they be mass producing this?
Old 04-09-10, 05:31 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that turned out real nice!!
Old 04-09-10, 06:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks great. I'm trying to buy another strut bar now I wanted to do some CF on the engine cover myself. I just bought a spare engine cover and will probably just do a wrap since I want to paint some parts as well. Anyway, good job
Old 04-09-10, 07:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks great brian, Are you doing any other engine bay peices..
Old 04-09-10, 11:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lo_dit
looks great overall, nice piece!
thanks

Originally Posted by V8RdnLow
nice, when will they be mass producing this?
well, since mine was just a prototype and since i was asked not to indulge alot of the info since the seller isnt a vendor on here. i will answer what i was asked to tell you.... google AAC or Advanced Automotive Concepts and u can email justin and see how much they are going for.

Originally Posted by veritek
Wow, that turned out real nice!!
thanks

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That looks great. I'm trying to buy another strut bar now I wanted to do some CF on the engine cover myself. I just bought a spare engine cover and will probably just do a wrap since I want to paint some parts as well. Anyway, good job
lol, sup chris. yeah that SB def clears everything....does pete have more SB's? thanks btw

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Looks great brian, Are you doing any other engine bay peices..
im not sure yet, i JUST got some chrome bezels and im gonna start my retro and redo my chrome bezels into the CF ones i had before. i might do some under hood stuff in CF but i dunno yet

Quick Reply: Well guys i FINALLY have my CF GS430 engine cover done